Fat Skis/Fat Tires

HELP!!! Need a 50+ mile, 5000'+ ride suggestion...

...within a 1-2 hour drive from Ft. Belvoir area.

I'm riding the SM-100 in about a week and a half, and need to get a good long training ride under my belt. I'd prefer a trail system with clear signage so I can spend more time suffering and less time navigating.

Any suggestions? I've only lived here about 6 months, so I have limited area familiarity. Help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    multiple laps of Quantico, roughly 1350 feet of climbing per lap, or Fountainhead with roughly 1600 ft, or Shaffer/Seneca ridge with about 1800 ft. im familiar with the trails in the area if you wanna ride this weekend, hit me up on PM.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    multiple laps of Quantico, roughly 1350 feet of climbing per lap, or Fountainhead with roughly 1600 ft, or Shaffer/Seneca ridge with about 1800 ft. im familiar with the trails in the area if you wanna ride this weekend, hit me up on PM.
    My training rides thus far have been laps at FH or Quantico...I feel like a mouse on a wheel!

Need long, sustained climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pack up the bike and drive to a different area

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    Pack up the bike and drive to a different area
    No kidding, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have a 4000' mountain in my backyard in California.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Head out to Frederick and do something like this:

Frederick Gravel Grinder <-- awesome ride on asphalt, gravel (no trails). Can do it on a cyclocross bike or mtb, but not on a road bike due to the long gravel sections. Need at least 32s. I did it on a geared hardtail 29er with Nevegals and was sloooooow. Around mile 40 you pass by a store where you can pick up water/food/beer. 60 mi/6600 ft elevation gain.

Frederick Mixed Surfaces <-- This one is similar to above but less asphalt and gets in some long downhills on rocky trails. For that reason I would only do this on a MTB. If you notice, the route takes you back to your car for a fillup on water/nutrition or a cutoff point at mile 33. This ride also hits Coxey Brown, one of the more notorious climbs in the area for it's steepness. 60 mi/8000 ft.

Another Fredneck Mixed Surfaces <-- This on is a combination of the above, with a little more trail mixed in. 87mi/12000 ft elevation gain.

All of these will give you 30+ minute extended effort climbs.

Alternatively, I've heard riding SkyMass (the Skyline Drive to Massanutten Valley loop, google it) or Mt. Weather is good training, closer to you.

Bicycle Radical
    The two routes below fit the bill. Both websites have detailed cue sheets so you'll be able to concentrate on suffering.

Skyline Drive - Skyline Drive

Mount Weather - Blue Ridge Challenge

Enjoy and good luck at the SM-100
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Take a drive to the SM100, and ride it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Elizabeth Furnace in Front Royal

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i am riding the S100 for the first time too. i have been lapping FH and SF and have no idea if that'll do the trick but quite a few of the training programs recommend short & intense intervals as opposed to endurance intervals. i guess we'll see. if you happen to find something by this weekend, let me know and i'll ride along. i am supposed to race Cranky Monkey at Quantico on Sunday but i'd rather get another serious training day in.

let me know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would suggest riding Quantico tomorrow. While the climbing is not completely equivalent to the SM100, just do 10 laps there to see where your fitness level is.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Thanks for all of the suggestions...I finished in 14:32, which is one hell of a long day!

The muddy conditions turned several easy climbs into seemingly endless conga lines of hike-a-bike, but the group morale remained inexplicably enthusiastic.

I kept all of the climbs conservative to avoid going anaerobic as much as possible, then opened it up on the descents, which is where I'm stronger.

I felt surprisingly strong despite not having trained and having barely even ridden in the past 6 months. I will definitely be back next year, but will be gunning for a sub-12 hour finish.

SM-100 RULES!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    We were probably leapfrogging along the way as I finished 14:43. The conditions were bad, but I still don't understand where those hours went -- I figured on finished around 12 hours. But for my first 100 I was ecstatic to finish.

SM100 sure is a fantastic event.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    We were probably leapfrogging along the way as I finished 14:43. The conditions were bad, but I still don't understand where those hours went -- I figured on finished around 12 hours. But for my first 100 I was ecstatic to finish.

SM100 sure is a fantastic event.
    Awesome man, I'm sure we were! I was the guy in the Coast Guard jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Congrats to you both.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!