mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Help with bike fitment

Any local guys with knowledge in bike fitting care to give me a hand? Can pay cash, beer or trade mechanical services (I'm a mechanic). Rode a new bike all last season, felt good but not quite "right". I think I need to make a change to the stem or bars. Instead of trying a bunch of bars/stems and wasting money I'm hoping someone can get me close. If you can, or can lead me to a good bike shop which can offer this service please let me know. I went to one LBS (who will remain unnamed) and they grabbed one of every stem they had on the shelf, said "buy these and try them out" but they had no return policy on used parts

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    It would help if we knew where you were located. This forum covers several states....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm sorry for not specifying. I live near Baltimore, MD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Princeton Sports in Balto and Columbia do bike fittings. Might be worth the money to have it done professionally.

mtbr member
    how tall are you? what size is your frame? whats the ETT length? what length are your bars and stem? do you feel cramped or too stretched out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm happy to pay to have it done professionally if you can recommend a capable employee of a local shop. My experience in the past with this has been commission-based employees more interested in selling parts.

I am 6' even.
    ETT is 61.7mm
    Not sure on bars and stem, I'd have to measure them. They're the originals that came on the bike (2011 Superfly AL Elite)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Check out Fresh Bikes in Arlington, and ask for a guy named Clovis!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any local bike shop should be able to help you out, you just need to find one that you like. There are some LBSs that seem to cater to the dentist/doctor/lawyer crowd with over-inflated prices and a quick to upsell vibe, and there are others that are more down-to-earth, excited to help a local rider out. I'm not going to name my favorite because that just seems uncool in this forum.

I suggest stopping in several shops and tell them what you are looking for, ask them what to expect, etc. Start the conversation and find the shop you're most comfortable with. It's a great thing to have a good relationship with a LBS.

Expect to bring your bike and wear bike clothes. You'll probably be asked to spin on the trainer for 10 minutes or so to get warmed up. If you're not ready to buy a new stem, bar, saddle, etc., they should at least be able to show you how changes to your setup will feel so you can budget those future purchases.

Alternatively, find some riding buddies to temporarily swap parts with. My buddies are regularly loaning out stems, bars, etc.

Finally, you could check out this: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist