Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35

    Has anyone ever heard of High Bridge State Park near Farmville Va?

    Trying to find some new places to ride this year. I am just wondering if anyone else has riden there? Any recommendations on this area or any other places within about 1 1/2 hours of Richmond would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    567
    Went there for the first time 3 weeks ago. All that is there is a 31 mile point to point rails to trails path. Except for the one bridge crossing it was the most boring thing I have ever ridden. Not at all scenic and flat.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35
    Any other recommendations for different places to ride? Aside from JRPS and Pocahontas State Park.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    567
    Poor Farm Park in Ashland just north of Richmond and Freedom Trails in Williamsburg. Freedom is really nice with a little of everything.

    A little farther west you have Walnut Creek park in Charlottesville

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    122
    York River State Park has over 18 miles of trails now. The latest edition, The John Blair Trail, is 12.5 miles of sustainable trail. Flow is great.

  6. #6
    trailmaster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Went there for the first time 3 weeks ago. All that is there is a 31 mile point to point rails to trails path. Except for the one bridge crossing it was the most boring thing I have ever ridden. Not at all scenic and flat.
    Sorry you feel this way about the trail. And apparently you missed the sign for the MT Bike trail. And while you were out there being bored and frustrated with the only public trails within 50 miles of Farmville I was out in the woods cutting an advanced single track for the State Park. But don't bother yourself. I'm sure you don't want to find anything worth it at High Bridge.

    For the rest of the world, the High Bridge trail is what it is. A 31 mile Rails to Trails in Central Virginia with a 2400' long 120' high Bridge and the town Farmville right in the middle of it. Not as pretty or as long as New River Trail. But only an hour west of Richmond. It does have a Beginner's Mt Bike loop that is family friendly with enough twists and flow to be fun for serious Mt Bikers. And as of this coming June 4 it will open an Advanced Mt Bike trail with some nice technical and definite Aerobic Challenge. There are plan's to be adding new Mt bike trails every season for the next few years.

    BTW as some insight into riders who get bored on tourist trails; They tend to be single track snobs. That's not really a bad thing. It just means they get off on gnary technical trails. The tougher the better. I get it, I spent 20 years like that. Monthly Trips to Pisgah and GWNF, lusting after the latest gizmos, the whole 9 yards. Now I'm old, so f'in old and living with the aftermath of decades of accumulative injuries and scars. You don't want to see the remnants on my shins and shoulders. So, a leisurely 10 mile ride on the High Bridge Trail is a good thing. And a lap around the beginner's "A" trail feels good.

    I still enjoy technical rides. I just do things in Slo-mo these days. And have no desire to climb 3000' over rocks and roots in a day any more.
    Last edited by Sofakinold; 04-30-2014 at 03:39 PM.

  7. #7
    trailmaster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by H6NVGce View Post
    Any other recommendations for different places to ride? Aside from JRPS and Pocahontas State Park.
    Have you been to the Scout Camp trails on Maidens Rd near Goochland?
    I enjoy a few laps around Powhite Park trails when I'm in Richmond. Nice ravine runs.
    Last edited by Sofakinold; 04-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.

  8. #8
    trailmaster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    I ride High Bridge Trail all the time. And use it to connect up road rides around the area. Lots of potential to ride out here. Do the cross bike or MTB.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofakinold View Post
    I ride High Bridge Trail all the time. And use it to connect up road rides around the area. Lots of potential to ride out here. Do the cross bike or MTB.
    In your opinion High Bridge is worth over a hour drive to do? If I lived there and that was it, I would make the best of it, but I do not and within an hours drive everything is better to ride. I also think it is sad that you blame age on what kind of riding you do. I am also "older" and still run DH runs and have a blast doing it. I also ride a ton of dirt roads and gravel roads. I have yet to find a dirt road in our area that is less interesting then the High Bridge Trail. In fact it is not even close, the farm at one end where the smell of poop and garbage was a real treat though. Sorry you live there, but do not think it is an epicenter for a bike trip.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sunyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    In your opinion High Bridge is worth over a hour drive to do?
    I have family in Farmville and have done the High Bridge trail multiple times. For a solo ride, it is pretty boring and flat, but with some friends or family, it can be a lot of fun. It can also be a pretty good training ride, since it is flat and you can keep a good pace since there is generally minimal foot traffic and not a lot of busy road crossings.

    However, if what you want to ride is singletrack or major elevation change on fire roads, I would look elsewhere. If you want to go a bit further west, head out to Carvin's Cove near Roanoke. It is mountain biker paradise!
    You have to earn your downs...

  11. #11
    trailmaster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    I guess you didn't hear me.... HIGH BRIDGE HAS MT BIKE TRAILS THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE.

    The fact remains that they add diversity, therefore interesting and fun riding.

    I'm glad you may be in good health enough to ride like a youngster. I am NOT. Severe atelectasis of my right lung from a crushing chest injury and RADS make breathing difficult at best. Rotator cuff injuries inhibits any long term pressure on the shoulders, very painful. Arthritis and torn ligaments in the knees cause fluid buildup any time I try hard push on pedals. A 30% Spodylolisthesis of L5/S1 causes pain and weakness in both legs.

    It's amazing I can ride at all. But I do. And I'm out there building trails for public use as a volunteer for the State Park.

    Farmville is not a destination for biking.... Yet! In fact it's been a dismal black hole. Until the High Bridge Trail. It might surprise you that bike trails don't just happen mysteriously. Like Richmond 20 years ago when you couldn't get close to the James River for the smell. It took one dedicated man, hundreds of volunteers and tens of thousands of man hours and a decade of hard work before people took notice.

    Last year I was one man alone cutting a beginner trail with the park balking at every turn. This year I've been given full license to build an advanced loop. And a half dozen people have come out to help. Now, they are talking about 250 acres being developed for Mt Bike Trails. I do believe this is how Pocahontas State Park trails started.

    Unless you can claim to one the dozen or so people who made the Richmond scene work or willing to do something to make a difference I think the "Thumper" rule is appropriate. "If you can't say something nice." All you are doing with negative opinions is making it more difficult for the people who are trying to do something positive.

    Rail trails are inherently boring. That's a given. High Bridge Trail is providing a focal point that the Heart of Virginia has never had before. And thus advance biking across the state. As long as there is breath in this body I will be out there pushing to make a difference and fight against the negative attitudes that restrain us.

  12. #12
    CrgCrkRyder
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofakinold View Post

    It's amazing I can ride at all. But I do. And I'm out there building trails for public use as a volunteer for the State Park.

    Farmville is not a destination for biking.... Yet! In fact it's been a dismal black hole. Until the High Bridge Trail. It might surprise you that bike trails don't just happen mysteriously. Like Richmond 20 years ago when you couldn't get close to the James River for the smell. It took one dedicated man, hundreds of volunteers and tens of thousands of man hours and a decade of hard work before people took notice.

    Last year I was one man alone cutting a beginner trail with the park balking at every turn. This year I've been given full license to build an advanced loop. And a half dozen people have come out to help. Now, they are talking about 250 acres being developed for Mt Bike Trails. I do believe this is how Pocahontas State Park trails started.

    Unless you can claim to one the dozen or so people who made the Richmond scene work or willing to do something to make a difference I think the "Thumper" rule is appropriate. "If you can't say something nice." All you are doing with negative opinions is making it more difficult for the people who are trying to do something positive.

    Rail trails are inherently boring. That's a given. High Bridge Trail is providing a focal point that the Heart of Virginia has never had before. And thus advance biking across the state. As long as there is breath in this body I will be out there pushing to make a difference and fight against the negative attitudes that restrain us.
    Good Job.

    Most trail systems get built one link at a time. Hopefully what you are doing will draw in some more locals to help you out.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofakinold View Post
    I guess you didn't hear me.... HIGH BRIDGE HAS MT BIKE TRAILS THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE.

    The fact remains that they add diversity, therefore interesting and fun riding.

    I'm glad you may be in good health enough to ride like a youngster. I am NOT. Severe atelectasis of my right lung from a crushing chest injury and RADS make breathing difficult at best. Rotator cuff injuries inhibits any long term pressure on the shoulders, very painful. Arthritis and torn ligaments in the knees cause fluid buildup any time I try hard push on pedals. A 30% Spodylolisthesis of L5/S1 causes pain and weakness in both legs.

    It's amazing I can ride at all. But I do. And I'm out there building trails for public use as a volunteer for the State Park.

    Farmville is not a destination for biking.... Yet! In fact it's been a dismal black hole. Until the High Bridge Trail. It might surprise you that bike trails don't just happen mysteriously. Like Richmond 20 years ago when you couldn't get close to the James River for the smell. It took one dedicated man, hundreds of volunteers and tens of thousands of man hours and a decade of hard work before people took notice.

    Last year I was one man alone cutting a beginner trail with the park balking at every turn. This year I've been given full license to build an advanced loop. And a half dozen people have come out to help. Now, they are talking about 250 acres being developed for Mt Bike Trails. I do believe this is how Pocahontas State Park trails started.

    Unless you can claim to one the dozen or so people who made the Richmond scene work or willing to do something to make a difference I think the "Thumper" rule is appropriate. "If you can't say something nice." All you are doing with negative opinions is making it more difficult for the people who are trying to do something positive.

    Rail trails are inherently boring. That's a given. High Bridge Trail is providing a focal point that the Heart of Virginia has never had before. And thus advance biking across the state. As long as there is breath in this body I will be out there pushing to make a difference and fight against the negative attitudes that restrain us.

    Why do you feel the need to talk to me like that?

    The thread was started to find Mt bike trails worth driving to 1 1/2 from Richmond. HIGH BRIDGE TRAILS ARE NOT WORTH IT!

    That is great you do trailwork, should I post my resume of trailwork and my arrest record for advocating for such trails? I will surely have done more for biking in this area then you can even imagine, so please do NOT patronize me in your tone. And I do not care about your physical problems or your trailwork because it has ZERO BEARING on the OP's question.

    When you make High Bridge a destination spot for mountain biking please re-post so we all can see your work, until then I answered the OP's question with TRUTH AND HONESTY.

    Have at it.

  14. #14
    trailmaster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    You really don't get it do you. There are a lot of people out there who can't or don't ride like you. People who enjoy rides like the High Bridge. There are 80 year old women who ride from Farmville to Rice every week. And enjoy it. I ride regularly with a group of men who have no interest in single track or All Mountain anything. We have groups of disabled kids who ride from River Rd across the Bridge and back. Your opinion has no bearing on these people. Worth it is relative. It's obviously not worth it to you. So why would you think your negative opinion is worth anything to them?

    Tell you what, you try to see the glass half full and I won't even think about inviting you to ride anything I have anything to do with.

    BTW the original question was not about MT bike trails, just places to ride.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35
    Guys, thank you for all of the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. I now have a couple other places to check out.

    That being said, I didnt mean to start a pissing war between riders. I was simply looking for different suggestions of places to ride. But, for the record. I am looking for suggestions for anything from singletrack to double track, rails to trails or anything that is legal and fun to ride. The reason I asked about High Bridge State Park is because my 10 y/o son mentioned it, and said he would like to go check it out.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29
    2014 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite

  16. #16
    another bozo on the bus
    Reputation: washedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,201
    Why is it about who does the most trail work? Volunteer hours don't make your opinion anymore valid. If anything, it's less so because you get all emotionally wrapped up in it. Many of us do our share without feeling the need to get on soap boxes or carry crosses. Perhaps if you stopped carrying that cross you back would get better. Just a thought

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikerJen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    339
    I looked into taking road trip to High Bridge and taking my dog along (who has to ride in his cage in a trailer or he'll eat my front tire.) I honestly never found the first mention of a mountain bike/single track trail. I never made the trip because the reviews for High Bridge mentioned it being unshaded (hence hot for the pup). Now that the gentleman has mentioned some single track, I'll consider a trip that way. I live in Roanoke and am grateful for the nearby options.

    Now I'm sure no one cares that my dog attacks my tires or could get hot in his cage, but I hope that everyone will just chill out, respect one another and ride peacefully. To each's own! Have fun, be safe and enjoy what we have!!!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sunyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    40
    @BikerJen - Hit up the folks at Blackwater, they can give you the details on the single track since they did some trail work down there last year. Also, feel free to go check out the work they have done at Peaksview, too!

    But yeah, the rail-trails are largely unshaded, so the best time to go with your pup would be in the Fall.
    You have to earn your downs...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM
  2. High Rocks (Ralph Stover State Park) Trail Day
    By DoylestownRockGym in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM
  3. Bigelow Hollow State Park / Nipmuck State Forest.
    By Tony777 in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM
  4. High Point State Park
    By bloodninja in forum New Jersey
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 10:17 AM
  5. Anyone Heard from Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery Recently?
    By Durga in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •