Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post

Does anyone have directions to Chestnut Ridge trail head (parking, etc?) My map says Chestnut Ridge, but the map trail indicator is #490 Maple Springs?
    I called Shenandoah Bicycle Company inquiring about #490 Maple Springs (near Rawley Springs) out of curiosity....no one there had ever ridden it and they had no information on it. They asked me for a ride report if I rode it.

The Nat Geo map lists it as suitable for biking. Does anyone have any info on this trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    I called Shenandoah Bicycle Company inquiring about #490 Maple Springs (near Rawley Springs) out of curiosity....no one there had ever ridden it and they had no information on it. They asked me for a ride report if I rode it.

The Nat Geo map lists it as suitable for biking. Does anyone have any info on this trail?
    i've never ridden that trail, but i've thought about riding up union spring rd, down maple spring, and trying to find my way back to union spring via a section of doubletrack that may or may not actually lead from rawley springs to union spring (it's on one of my maps, but not the other). i'm guessing that if the trail's there, it's in horrible shape...but maybe one day i'll give it a go.

i've hiked up maple springs several times, but not in the last couple years. it's a sustained and fairly steep grade, but apart from that it's pretty unremarkable. not technical at all (apart from a rock slide section at the top of a hollow near the very top of the trail), grassy and overgrown in a couple spots (at least in summer), and kind of boring as i remember it. there are a number of big dips/rollers at a few spots, but they're abrupt and tightly spaced so i'm not sure how much fun they'd be to hit at speed. maybe a couple short washed out sections in there somewhere as well, but not many. the bottom mile or so after the 2nd switchback is flat with a few stream crossings.

it might be a fun trail to come down, but from what i remember i wouldn't want to ride up it (boring and too steep to ride much of it). but i'd be interested to hear what you think if you end up doing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktownrook View Post
    i've never ridden that trail, but i've thought about riding up union spring rd, down maple spring, and trying to find my way back to union spring via a section of doubletrack that may or may not actually lead from rawley springs to union spring (it's on one of my maps, but not the other). i'm guessing that if the trail's there, it's in horrible shape...but maybe one day i'll give it a go.

i've hiked up maple springs several times, but not in the last couple years. it's a sustained and fairly steep grade, but apart from that it's pretty unremarkable. not technical at all (apart from a rock slide section at the top of a hollow near the very top of the trail), grassy and overgrown in a couple spots (at least in summer), and kind of boring as i remember it. there are a number of big dips/rollers at a few spots, but they're abrupt and tightly spaced so i'm not sure how much fun they'd be to hit at speed. maybe a couple short washed out sections in there somewhere as well, but not many. the bottom mile or so after the 2nd switchback is flat with a few stream crossings.

it might be a fun trail to come down, but from what i remember i wouldn't want to ride up it (boring and too steep to ride much of it). but i'd be interested to hear what you think if you end up doing it.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I may check it out since it is so close to our cabin. Will post up the results when I can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just out of curiosity, why is the 2.4 recommended in the front in that area?

More cush? more side grip on the bench cut trails to stop sliding side slipping?

I was having some sketchy side slipping on dowells draft last year that I thought some extra bite might help.

Right now I have a 2.1 crossmark in front and back and mostly ride in Richmond but was thinking of upgrading to a 2.4 ardent up front for more cush.

mtbr member
    Soooo....our trip to Harrisonburg is this week. We are staying Wednesday - Saturday.

It appears the area received snow this weekend. We will arrive Wednesday afternoon and hope to get a quick ride in Wednesday...but if we can't, no biggie.

Someone PLEASE tell me that the trails (Narrowback,Lookout,Dowells, Braley) will be rideable by Wednesday/Thursday?

Here is the forecast:

Harrisonburg Area Advice-hburg-weather.jpg

Will it warm up / dry out enough by then to at least have an enjoyable ride?

I hope this vacation isn't ruined.

mtbr member
    I would say no.

Nate is down there though and he'll tell you. I was planning on heading down there tomorrow into Wed but I ain't going. Did they get 7" in town? My buddy lives just south of downtown and he got a lot.

Make a call into the shop. They may not have ventured out yet.

Good luck with the bad luck.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

another bozo on the bus
    We got a good amount of snow, but its been melting all day. My guess is IN TOWN it will be gone tomorrow. Vacation is not ruined, but you may want to make adjustments in the trails you plan to ride. Dowells will have snow and or a bunch of mud on Hankey aka it will suck. The snow is wet and heavy and crap to ride in. I say hit fort valley on day 1 depending as it is rocky and typically the stuff to the east doesn't get as much weather and dries quicker. But check in later in the week.

Mike- when are you coming around?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    We got a good amount of snow, but its been melting all day. My guess is IN TOWN it will be gone tomorrow. Vacation is not ruined, but you may want to make adjustments in the trails you plan to ride. Dowells will have snow and or a bunch of mud on Hankey aka it will suck. The snow is wet and heavy and crap to ride in. I say hit fort valley on day 1 depending as it is rocky and typically the stuff to the east doesn't get as much weather and dries quicker. But check in later in the week.

Mike- when are you coming around?
    You've opened up another can of worms

Sorry..I have done a lot of planning for the Western stuff..so not sure where to head..

We were headed there this Wednesday (two days from now)...staying until Saturday night.

So...Fort Valley Day 1? Could we begin to look at Narrowback/Lookout/Dowell's on Friday/Saturday?

We were also planning on Douthat...would it be rideable?

Sorry...I had 3.5 days of riding planned and now it seems I am starting from scratch..I bought the NatGeo map #791...so I don't think i have much trail info for the East.

mtbr member
    Nate, I was coming down today but weather-waived.

Next trip is up in the air. I need to start getting more work form TrailWerks so that is taking precedence right now. Riding a lot local and the pump track/jump line got a MAJOR overhaul so I have to get on that a lot. Poor me...

It sucks that the weather came in like it did. This weather is the exact worse weather you could hope for to ride that stuff. Too warm to be fun snow riding, too wet and slow to avoid complete misery.

Pisgah/Brevard is further south quite a bit if you really wanna pull the chute and make a change.

Welcome to mid-Atlantic weather!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

another bozo on the bus
    Reports today if 12"-16" up on Reddish. Douthat I have no idea. They get different weather down there. By different, I mean usually more. The sun poking its head out here and there between snow showers but its supposed to be warming up through the day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i'd say the new stuff on narrowback is definitely gonna be wet through the weekend since it holds water for a surprisingly long time, so i'd stay away from that for sure (especially because it's new/soft). new stuff on lookout might also be pretty iffy.

mtbr member
    I think for now, we are going to have to drive down to Roanoke (Eastcoasters has recommended a few trails, inc. Dragon's Back) on Thursday and Friday (I know it's a haul) if need be and then check to see if Douthat is rideable on Saturday.

Everyone I spoke with seems to be guiding me away from Harrisonburg at the moment.

We were considering the Fort Valley/Elizabeth Furnace area, but I am not sure all of us are comfortable with the type of terrain. We like rock gardens, but that trail looks like it is nothing but rocks.

Would there be any other trails at lower elevation that would be rideable (Mud Pond)?
    Unless we get confirmation or suggestions otherwise, that's what we are forced to do.

Any other help or suggestions are appreciated.

another bozo on the bus
    Sun is shining and things are warming up here in the valley, but looking to the west, the mountains have disappeared in dark clouds and precip. A report of thunder snow south west in WVA.

mtbr member
    Report back on what you find down there. It's going to be a tough week for riding around here.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

there's no bread
    @Chase1996

What did you guys end up riding?

Natty Dread
    Great thread guys. I am just starting to plan a few days in this zone in late Sept. Think that'll be a nice time to visit for cool temps and lack of bugs. I do a lot of mtb travel and have been to many of the spots we read about. Harrisonburg's blend of traditional chunky East Coast riding and progressive trail building has blown me away. Those Adventure Seen Videos are sooo good. Love the Lifestyle Ride branding. Awesome to see guys shredding trail and it looking rad. Honestly much cooler than seeing some guy backflipping off everything to sell DVDs. Anywho.....I'm going to paw through these deets but main question is will some of you locals been down to ride? I can hang on big climbs, moderate to advanced tech and am a decent descender. Other locals in mtb destinations haven't minded my company. Look forward to sharing the stoke. FP

another bozo on the bus
    Post up when you are ready to come out. First weekend in October is the festival and you will have no shortage of people to ride with. Many of the folks here are less online and more on bike so they don't really post up, but sept/oct is the best time to be out this way, other than right now maybe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3