Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    nOOb

Hampton Roads Va.

Just getting back into biking/trail riding. I've riding First Landing State Park, Ipswitch (Indian River Park). Looking to ride Battery Park in Carrolton Va. and some of the Williamsburg trails (mainly Freedom Park). Got a few friends I ride with, they're just not into riding like me. Looking to ride other local trails, hit me up with where you like to rip it up.

John
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My favorite area ride is Lake Maury/Gatewood in Newport News for a close ride. Harwood Mills is ok but further away. Group ride from Meetup.com every Wed at Harwood at 5:45, slow pace, happy hour and food afterwards at a close bar.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Me and another guy on meet up.com are looking to start a weekly evening group ride at gatewood/Lake Maury at about 5:45pm. 9 mile loop, average pace, not racing but not crawling. Anybody interested in coming out?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry forgot to mention the day of the week, wednesday is the day we are looking to do a weekly group ride.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    John-

Search EVMA Southside on Facebook (if you have an account). This is the group that maintains Indian River Park and rides out there often. I have gotten to know them pretty well since I moved to the area. Plenty of people to ride with in Norfolk/VA Beach if you get in touch with this group. We generally have group rides Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:30 but with the weather being difficult, we've usually been trying to meet up in the early morning.

mtbr member
    is it a park in newport news called gatewood? looked at google maps only had the road name,,,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Search Lake Maury singletrack. It is a singletrack, not in a park, that is a 9 mile total loop along Lake Maury, trailhead is at Warwick Blvd and Gatewood Dr. No signage regarding the track but is easy to find and follow. If you wanna ride let me know. If it dries up I'll ride Friday but it's calling for rain all week. Otherwise I'll be riding it next week, prolly with another riding partner.

nOOb
    Yea this weather is really putting a stranglehold on trail riding. Was hoping could ride this Wednesday evening, but I'm sure it's still too wet. Well hopefully this weekend things will dry up. We'll have to wait and see.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hoping it doesn't rain tonight/tomorrow morning, I'd like to check out Lake Maury's trail.
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    yeah me too, hitting up maury this weekend and ipswitch friday evening at 630pm

mtbr member
    May 2012
    All this rain definitely sucks. I'm going to be riding Lake Maury Friday afternoon if it doesn't rain between now and then. Lake Maury dries up a bit faster than Ipswitch. If anybody wants to join let me know, I'm in Portsmouth and have room for 3 bikes on my rack, so carpooling from Portsmouth can be an option too. Due to work schedule, I can't ride Sat, Sunday, or Thursday, but any other day is good.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You think itll be too muddy tomorrow? Tomorrow is my last free day before work all weekend.
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    guess we will find out tomorrow! ride the divide!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well I biked Lake Maury today, and it was all dried up! There were maybe like 4-5 puddles on the entire ride. Unfortunately I only biked about 6 miles out of the 9 miles you guys stated. I biked from the entrance, to the hospital area and couldn't find any more trail so I just had to bike around the lake to get back to my car :/
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll be riding it tomorrow. At that point, there is a trail extension you have to look for that goes through the grass. Keep in mind it is not a loop around the lake, at the end you do have to turn back and go out the same way you came in...sort of. You will notice there are junctions on the trail where you u can go left or right..either way you go will get you to the same point, but different way. I usually go right at every junction on the way up, then go right again at every junction on the way back so you end up going a different route each way.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha smart. I kind of just picked a different route every time either left or right. Do you hit the jumps with gaps there? They seemed pretty intense!
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not the bigger ones, I have a hardtail, and havent been riding but a few months.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha same here. Once I get a full suspension and knee pads maybe!
    Enjoy Life.

nOOb
    Lake Maury sounds like a pretty good trail I'll have to come check it out this weekend. Some friends and myself are going out to IRP Sat. morning around 8:30. Happy riding all.
    '09 Cannondale F7

nOOb
    Will be out at IRP in a little bit.
    Last edited by jlallak; 07-14-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    New Quarter Park in Williamsburg is really good. Doesn't have as many jumps as Freedom park but Its faster and I think has a better layout.

nOOb
    A friend and myself rode IRP today. It was a little soft from all the rain, but we still had a blast. We're going to try and ride Lake Maury tomorrow morning. See ya out there.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will be riding Lake Maury this Wed afternoon with another buddy, will be my first ride with clipless pedals so should be interesting. Also, going to Freedom Friday afternoon. If anyone is interested in coming along on either ride let me know.

nOOb
    Tweaked my wrist Sunday morning out at IRP. Still a little sore. So I guess I'll have to take it easy if I want to ride this weekend
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rode with clipless for the first time...and with no practice went straight to Maury. Didnt do too bad, only 2 falls. Not real comfortable on balance beams and steep hill power climbs yet, so I dont think I'm gonna have as much fun at Freedom now. It will take getting used to. Planning to ride Maury tomorrow, anyone want to join?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast