Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nOOb

Hampton Roads Va.

Just getting back into biking/trail riding. I've riding First Landing State Park, Ipswitch (Indian River Park). Looking to ride Battery Park in Carrolton Va. and some of the Williamsburg trails (mainly Freedom Park). Got a few friends I ride with, they're just not into riding like me. Looking to ride other local trails, hit me up with where you like to rip it up.

John
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My favorite area ride is Lake Maury/Gatewood in Newport News for a close ride. Harwood Mills is ok but further away. Group ride from Meetup.com every Wed at Harwood at 5:45, slow pace, happy hour and food afterwards at a close bar.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Me and another guy on meet up.com are looking to start a weekly evening group ride at gatewood/Lake Maury at about 5:45pm. 9 mile loop, average pace, not racing but not crawling. Anybody interested in coming out?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry forgot to mention the day of the week, wednesday is the day we are looking to do a weekly group ride.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    John-

Search EVMA Southside on Facebook (if you have an account). This is the group that maintains Indian River Park and rides out there often. I have gotten to know them pretty well since I moved to the area. Plenty of people to ride with in Norfolk/VA Beach if you get in touch with this group. We generally have group rides Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:30 but with the weather being difficult, we've usually been trying to meet up in the early morning.

mtbr member
    is it a park in newport news called gatewood? looked at google maps only had the road name,,,

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Search Lake Maury singletrack. It is a singletrack, not in a park, that is a 9 mile total loop along Lake Maury, trailhead is at Warwick Blvd and Gatewood Dr. No signage regarding the track but is easy to find and follow. If you wanna ride let me know. If it dries up I'll ride Friday but it's calling for rain all week. Otherwise I'll be riding it next week, prolly with another riding partner.

nOOb
    Yea this weather is really putting a stranglehold on trail riding. Was hoping could ride this Wednesday evening, but I'm sure it's still too wet. Well hopefully this weekend things will dry up. We'll have to wait and see.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hoping it doesn't rain tonight/tomorrow morning, I'd like to check out Lake Maury's trail.
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    yeah me too, hitting up maury this weekend and ipswitch friday evening at 630pm

mtbr member
    May 2012
    All this rain definitely sucks. I'm going to be riding Lake Maury Friday afternoon if it doesn't rain between now and then. Lake Maury dries up a bit faster than Ipswitch. If anybody wants to join let me know, I'm in Portsmouth and have room for 3 bikes on my rack, so carpooling from Portsmouth can be an option too. Due to work schedule, I can't ride Sat, Sunday, or Thursday, but any other day is good.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You think itll be too muddy tomorrow? Tomorrow is my last free day before work all weekend.
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    guess we will find out tomorrow! ride the divide!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Well I biked Lake Maury today, and it was all dried up! There were maybe like 4-5 puddles on the entire ride. Unfortunately I only biked about 6 miles out of the 9 miles you guys stated. I biked from the entrance, to the hospital area and couldn't find any more trail so I just had to bike around the lake to get back to my car :/
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll be riding it tomorrow. At that point, there is a trail extension you have to look for that goes through the grass. Keep in mind it is not a loop around the lake, at the end you do have to turn back and go out the same way you came in...sort of. You will notice there are junctions on the trail where you u can go left or right..either way you go will get you to the same point, but different way. I usually go right at every junction on the way up, then go right again at every junction on the way back so you end up going a different route each way.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha smart. I kind of just picked a different route every time either left or right. Do you hit the jumps with gaps there? They seemed pretty intense!
    Enjoy Life.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not the bigger ones, I have a hardtail, and havent been riding but a few months.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha same here. Once I get a full suspension and knee pads maybe!
    Enjoy Life.

nOOb
    Lake Maury sounds like a pretty good trail I'll have to come check it out this weekend. Some friends and myself are going out to IRP Sat. morning around 8:30. Happy riding all.
    '09 Cannondale F7

nOOb
    Will be out at IRP in a little bit.
    Last edited by jlallak; 07-14-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    New Quarter Park in Williamsburg is really good. Doesn't have as many jumps as Freedom park but Its faster and I think has a better layout.

nOOb
    A friend and myself rode IRP today. It was a little soft from all the rain, but we still had a blast. We're going to try and ride Lake Maury tomorrow morning. See ya out there.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Will be riding Lake Maury this Wed afternoon with another buddy, will be my first ride with clipless pedals so should be interesting. Also, going to Freedom Friday afternoon. If anyone is interested in coming along on either ride let me know.

nOOb
    Tweaked my wrist Sunday morning out at IRP. Still a little sore. So I guess I'll have to take it easy if I want to ride this weekend
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rode with clipless for the first time...and with no practice went straight to Maury. Didnt do too bad, only 2 falls. Not real comfortable on balance beams and steep hill power climbs yet, so I dont think I'm gonna have as much fun at Freedom now. It will take getting used to. Planning to ride Maury tomorrow, anyone want to join?

mtbr member
    what time you heading out there?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    About 6, are you going?

mtbr member
    Crap i just saw this. Guess not.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Too late huh..well who's riding Friday? I'm down for any trail. Had a good ride today but fell hard twice getting used used to the clipless

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Group ride tomorrow (Friday) at Harwood Mills 5:45. Anybody in?

nOOb
    These storms are raining on my parade, so to speak.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah enough with the rain. Meetup.com is hosting a 6pm group ride at Lake Maury/Gatewood this Wednesday, anyone is welcome to come out IF the weather cooperates. Google Meetup.com HROA to view event and join if you want (joining is not neccessary to come ride, but good way to find fellow mountain bikers). Meetup.com Hampton Roads Outdoor Adventurers group. Have 3 or 4 attending so far

nOOb
    Here comes the rain again.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    I was in ipswich when it started something fierce! Gonna have fun in the mud tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    New to the site, Ive been in the Hampton roads area for about 8 years. I just got into riding also. I live out in Suffolk, Ive been riding Nike park, and Indian River park, hit up Freedom this past Friday, was a great time on C loop with the exception of one of the guys in the group going down. Ended up going to Sentara Williamsburg via ambulance with broken ribs and collarbone. Let me know if any of you guys plan on riding out my way...im always down to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Welcome, I just got back from Freedom, did C, D and E loops. Where did he get hurt at on the loop and how, jump? A group ride tomorrow at Lake Maury/Gatewood in Newport News at 6:30 pm if you wanna join. Park at Warwick Blvd and Gatewood Dr. Look for black Hummer H3 or gray Tacoma pickup, Alan or Craig

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by althompson12 View Post
    A group ride tomorrow at Lake Maury/Gatewood in Newport News at 6:30 pm if you wanna join. Park at Warwick Blvd and Gatewood Dr. Look for black Hummer H3 or gray Tacoma pickup, Alan or Craig
    Would love to ride tomorrow. If only the rain would stop. here's to hoping.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Welcome, I just got back from Freedom, did C, D and E loops. Where did he get hurt at on the loop and how, jump? A group ride tomorrow at Lake Maury/Gatewood in Newport News at 6:30 pm if you wanna join. Park at Warwick Blvd and Gatewood Dr. Look for black Hummer H3 or gray Tacoma pickup, Alan or Craig
    He went down on the Doubles in section 7 of C loop. He says he slipped a pedal on the second jump, caused him to lean, turn the bars and slam hard. I had just did them and it happened right behind me. I heard the slap of flesh on dirt though. No can do tomorrow, but myself and 3 buddies are heading out to Freedom Saturday morning, probably gonna be there by 8am and plan to leave around 1 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awful bout your friend, that loop can be dangerous. Weekends are always a no go for me due to work but I usually ride with others Mon, Wed and someti
    es Fri afternoons

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, he is already in good spirits though, ready to go back out. I think this incident convinced him to get clipless pedals lol. And weekend are basically the only time i can get up there, its about an hour or so drive up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Jlallack, looks like it will stay clear for ride today so see ya there if you come out.
    Marlin, I dont get to Freedom much either bc of the long drive. I mainly ride Ipswich in Chesapeake now, I'll be riding the next group ride there on Monday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Jlallack, looks like it will stay clear for ride today so see ya there if you come out.
    Marlin, I dont get to Freedom much either bc of the long drive. I mainly ride Ipswich in Chesapeake now, I'll be riding the next group ride there on Monday afternoon.
    Yea we ride Ipswich quite a bit also, what time is that ride Monday? I may try to make it out. On another note, just ordered new forks for the new bike, the Sr Suntours were killing me, and im praying they get here by Friday so I can throw them on for freedom on Saturday. Where are all of these group rides listed/organized out of?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    planning a trip to indian river this week sometime. Anyone want to join? Probably wed or thurs?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Group rides are organized through a couple groups. Eastern Virginia Mountainbiking Assoc. has a Facebook page and holds group rides. Also, Meetup.com has a couple groups, Hampton Roads Outdoot Adventurers has group rides. Me and a couple buddies will be at IRP Wed afternoon riding. Also doing a morning trip to Richmond next Monday to do Buttermilk/James River Loop

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trail Rides

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in my type of riding or not. Due to knee issues I'm not able to do extreme single track (balance beams, jumps, etc) but I make up for it by doing longer miles. I bike around Yorktown Battlefield/Newport News Park with a short piece of easy singletrack appx. 30/35 miles. Both sections of the Capital Trail including the dirt /loose stone lanes to several plantations appx. 25/30 miles. I also lead multi day camping trips along several Rails To Trails. I'm a trip leader with Hampton Roads Outdoor Adventures (Meetup) and Tidewater Appalachian Trail Club. I also do a lot of night riding usually solo so less chance of trouble with the man. People in authority just don't seem to understand that night riding is a sport. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery but should be back in the saddle by mid/late Sept.

nOOb
    Am hoping to make it out to Lake Maury after work today. Hopefully around 5:30-6:30.

Edit. So much for that.
    Last edited by jlallak; 08-15-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    '09 Cannondale F7

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Myself and two buddies will be out at Indian River Park (Ipswich) tomorrow around 5pm or so. If anyone is interested to ride. I will be on the red black trek marlin with white forks, black protec helmet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    got destroyed by the thunderstorms today. ready for autumn to get here already

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hit up New Quarter today for the first time. Not a bad place to ride, however im not a huge fan of the raised bridges/ladders. Im more of a jumps/drops type of guy. And on the way home we hit hardwood mills in Newport news...not a fan by any means.

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by GFMarlin13' View Post
    Hit up New Quarter today for the first time. Not a bad place to ride, however im not a huge fan of the raised bridges/ladders. Im more of a jumps/drops type of guy. And on the way home we hit hardwood mills in Newport news...not a fan by any means.
    Still haven't made it up to Williamburg. I did however hear that hardwood wasn't all that. Didn't get a chance to ride this weekend.
    '09 Cannondale F7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast