mtbr member
    Apr 2004

GWNF - Where to rent house? Which town is closest to the primo singletrack!?

Hey all. the week im coming up in sept i need suggestions on which TOWN to rent a house in. the Shenandoah mtb crews house is looking taken and im not familiar with the area. We prefer to ride in/ride out but will drive if needed.

thanks for suggestions. VRBO has a lot in louray but is that close enough!??

Thanks.

another bozo on the bus
    Depends exactly what part of GW you are trying to ride. There is hundreds of miles of trail out there from Front Royal to Blacksburg. Rockier/ technical riding on the Massanutten Ridge. East of 81 and more of the big, long rides to the southwest of Harrisonburg. If you aren't sure what and where to ride, I would just stay in Harrisonburg. Can ride to Massenitten resort from town, you have Fort Valley 30 mins NE and then stuff you would ride in the Hundred about 30 the other way. Also SBC leads 2 rides a week, so you could ride with folks and get a bit of culture as well. I know SMT/ Southern Traverse is a big attraction but trashed in a storm a couple weeks back, so do your research before heading to find what was once 6 hours of flowy bliss to be 10 hour death march over hundreds of trees

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the heads up on the trails and we will def ask around if we end up making it down. Local connections always good if we can make it work.