mtbr member
    Jan 2004

GWNF - New Trail Locations

I'm looking at riding the GWNF outside of Harrisonburg/Staunton in the coming weeks. Besides a few quick rides when passing through on I-81, it's been a while (2011) since I last heavily rode there. I've read of some new trails. One at Narrowback, and the other on Lookout. I'd like to check out both.

Usually when riding Narrowback I'll ride it in a loop. Starting at dog graveyard, up the double track, over the ridge down to 536, over to the radio tower climb, up it to ride the ridge back to the intersection I passed, then drop down to the flats (old foundation ruins). Where is the new trail in relation to this loop? Where does it go?

For the Lookout trail, I'm guessing it's just an improved and possibly rerouted section of the Wild Oak loop from the Hankey Mtn. doubletrack/forest road to the suspension bridge? When the first section of the Hankey Mtn. climb flattens out, instead of staying straight/right, hang a left? I've ridden Lookout before any new trail work was done and it was quite chunky, but a cool route. I'm anxious to see what a new bike trail looks like. Is the Wild Oak hiking trail still there, or was it rerouted to this new trail?

Lastly, I've heard that forest road 95 from Elkorn Lake up to and past Camp Todd is paved. True? Paved up to the intersection of the road that goes up to Reddish? I'm thinking of riding either Wolf Ridge or Chestnue Ridge, and am planning on a route to the top.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    From Elkhorn Lake to Reddish Knob is mostly gravel (some of it they must of just put down). If you are going up to Reddish you can take the last fireroad to your right on the way up go down the fire raod than climb back up the double track to the top, when you get to the top take the single track to the left marked by the sign that notes that portion of trail is maintianed by SVBC and is 7 miles of singletrack to FR95 and comes out right befroe Todd Lake. From there about 3 miles back to Elkhorn Lake.

From Elkhorn lake that loop is just over 30 Miles.

Hope that helps.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!