I am the owl

Frederick Watershed trail work - March 23rd

OK, the corridor is clear and now it is time to DIG. A couple of weeks ago we started a reroute project for the Catoctin Trail, we'll continue that work and start cutting the tread.

We need a big crew, the new trail is 1 mile long and we have several significant sections to bench cut. We'll be cooking up trail side hotdogs (meat and veggie) to fuel you up for a long work day.

Where: Frederick Watershed, Sand Flats parking area

When: March 23rd, 9am

What: Bring gloves, boots and a water bottle. We'll have tools but feel free to bring your own if you have a favorite.

More info
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

bikeboatbrewski
    Gonna try to make this one, can help till 3ish.

I am the owl
    Thanks Scotty, that would be great.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm not from here, but I'm stationed down in King George (Dahlgren) for a couple of months, and I'm going to try to make it. Would someone be willing to show me (ride) some of the local trails the day after (Sunday)? I've been stationed up in Newport, RI, and so I haven't ridden in a few months, so I'm itching to get back out on my bike.
    Hopefully see you guys next Saturday!
    --Adam

I am the owl
    We put some wheels on the new cleared corridor yesterday, it is raw right now but will be a nice trail when it is done.

Adam -

I won't be able to ride after the workday, but I can give you some navigation info or I could give you a tour another time.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

My little friends
    My son and I will do our best to be there; it will be our first time at trailwork, and it seems like a fun way to get to know the trail!

bikeboatbrewski
    I will probably be running late, any specific directions to the work site?

I am the owl
    Scotty - check your PMs for info

EABiker - Thanks, we'll see you there.

All -
    The Trail House, The Bicycle Escape, Bike Doctor Frederick and the SSO Team are all kicking in some $$$ to fund trail side hotdogs and beverages. Show them some love.

Bike Doctor Frederick is having a tent sale Saturday, so stop by after the work day for some deals. The Bicycle Escape has a new shop over by Wegman's and Chipotle, so go check it out. The Trail House is in downtown Frederick on Market street, a short walk from many of the bars and restaurants you visit after trail work and rides, so stop on in and check them out.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    One question--what's the Poison Ivy situation out where we'll be working? I know it's a sad state for a mountain biker to be in, but I'm pretty hyper-sensitive to the stuff. Just want to be prepared, and I'm not familiar with this area.
    TIA!

I am the owl
    I have not seen any poison ivy along the trail we will be working. Most of the vegetation is mountain laurel and hardwoods with some groundcover that I believe is blueberries/huckleberries. The areas we will be working have been cleared of major vegetation, so you should be good to go.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

I am the owl
    Quick update on the work day:
    Car pool as much as possible, parking is a bit limited at the Sand Flats lot. After we meet up and everyone gets signed in, we will be shuttling people to the work site, which has very limited parking but is a much shorter hike into the work area. So, if you have a vehicle capable of piling a bunch of people in it would help if you can be a driver. Thanks!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OK, I'm going to have to apologize in advance, and this is going to sound dumb, but I was thinking Fredericksburg (VA), not Frederick. Being in Dahlgren, this isn't going to work for me, as the location is about 2 1/2 hours from me, and I have commitments back here in Dahlgren tomorrow night. Didn't figure it out until I looked up the location in the link. Like I said before, I'm not from around here, so I apologize for saying I'd come. Seriously, sorry, folks.

I am the owl
    No worries, thanks for the heads up!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

I am the owl
    Frederick Watershed trail work - March 23rd-img_8593.jpgBig thanks to everyone who came out to the trail work on Saturday. We made huge progress. We had ambitious goals for the day and we got it all done thanks to you. Thanks to our sponsors for the food and beer. Stay tuned we'll have another soon.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com