Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Frederick, MD pump track - Digging is getting ready to start

5K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  riderx 
#1 ·
Super stoked to say the Frederick Bicycle Coalition effort to get a Frederick pump track built is nearing the construction date. Construction is happening at the end of July. We need your help to get over the finish line. Here are 4 things you can do to help us do that:

DONATE: No donation is to small. We have a pro from Alpine Trails coming in to do this right and that costs cash money. The city has donated the dirt and trucked it on to the site, FBC is on the hook for the build cost. Specialized Bikes has contributed a portion of the funds via a grant but there is still more to cover. Do I hear $25? $50? $100? Donate whatever you can by scrolling to the bottom of this page, clicking the Donate button and put PUMP TRACK FUND in the comments.

VOLUNTEER: to help with construction - Volunteers needed July 23-27th during daylight hours. Saturday the 27th will be the big, final day. Location: N. East Street and E. 13th Street (Google Map link).

EQUIPMENT USE: Do you have access to a a water truck? We need a water truck during construction and donating use of one will help reduce costs. If you can help with this, contact president@frederickbicyclecoalition.com

SPREAD THE WORD: Pass this info along to friends who can donate or help.

OK, get your pump track bike ready to go, dirt is moving in 7 days!

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped make this happen!

Germantown Pump Track Build by sso, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 ·
Update: work hours will be 8am to 8pm with a lunch break from 2-4pm.

Do you know anyone with a water truck? FBC needs a water truck for the Frederick pump track construction and donating use of one would be a huge help. If you can help with this, contact president@frederickbicyclecoalition.com (or reply to this thread and I will pass the info along)

#5 ·
Wednesday afternoon is when they are looking for the first wave of volunteers for building the Frederick pump track. On site design starts today. Thursday afternoon will be another big push for volunteers.

We are still fundraising to get us over the finish line. Thanks to all who have donated so far! Frederick Bicycle Coalition » Frederick Pump Track Fund

P.S. Water truck has been secured, so we are no longer looking for one

#8 ·
Ok, I couldn't wait. I rode there last evening. (Live less than a mile away).They made surprising progress from when I drove by at four until I biked over at eight. Right now, only the very basic layout has been put down, but I can't wait to put in some shovel time in order to see how it's done.

#11 ·
I live right in Monocacy Meadows, been watching the progress, I am dealing with a tore rotator that I'm awaiting surgery on and a sprained wrist, I want to be able to help so bad, but I doubt I'd be of any use. I will be donating though, and once I'm healed up I will be happy to help with upkeep.

#18 ·
Huge thanks to all who have contributed labor and dollars to make the Frederick pump track happen. Really cool to see so many people come out for this.

We've been getting some rain and there are some drainage issues to address. Everyone is super stoked to ride the track, but please don't ride the wet dirt. We were out today doing some work and riding the dry lines on the south end, but the north end was too wet for tires.

Frederick Pump Track by sso, on Flickr

Frederick Pump Track by sso, on Flickr

#19 ·
How is this for young riders?

My 12yo son just got an MTB for his b-day and wants to get out riding more than just around Baker park. I still don't have a bike so I can't take him to any trails. Therefore, I'm looking for something fun he can do while I watch from the sidelines.

#20 ·
How is this for young riders?

My 12yo son just got an MTB for his b-day and wants to get out riding more than just around Baker park. I still don't have a bike so I can't take him to any trails. Therefore, I'm looking for something fun he can do while I watch from the sidelines.
This is a great place for young riders. Saw a 12 year old come out on Wednesday for the first time and he immediately got the concept of pumping. People are usually generous about lending their bikes for others to try, so I'm sure you can take a spin too.

The pump track is a great place to develop skills that will carry over to mountain biking.

One thing, the track is we right now, so please do do not ride on the wet dirt. The south (easier) end may have some dry lines right now. We will be doing some drainage work soon to help with the pooling issues.

#21 ·
Very cool! Thanks for the quick reply.

We will probably look to stop by this weekend. Hopefully, it will stay dry enough to allow usage of the track.

I'm trying to figure out what bike I should get for an entry level user. Stay tuned. I may have a bunch of questions in other sections of the site. :)

So much information to figure out and a tight budget to fit it into.

#22 ·
Stopped by there on Sunday to check it out. There were a bunch of guys using it with their RC cars so I did not really get a chance to use it.

Looked really nice. Can't wait to spend a little more time there to practice my pumping.

#23 ·
Has your son had a chance to try it yet? The "Younger Crowd" is having a blast with it, and some of them are getting really good at it. One great thing about this track is the number of different line that can be ridden; if the kids are using the main outside lines, you can still drop in and hit the inside berms, then come out after they have passed.

#25 ·
Question for you all...

I have been to the track a few times now and every time a group of guys with RCs show up and start using the track.

This past weekend, I was there with my son. He is new to the track but getting better. These guys were whipping their cars around and one flew and cut off my son. He fell and got hurt because he stopped suddenly so he would not run over the car. I know that I have had to lock up my brakes on a couple occasions because of them, too.

What is the usage policy? We were there before they showed up by at least a few minutes. I mean, it is a bike pump track, right?

Just a little frustrated because my son is hesitant about going back now because he is afraid those guys will be there with their cars.

#26 ·
It is a bike track, built by bike people for bike people. Remind them of that. If they give you any "stuff", I'm sure we can come up with a few people who will have a talk with them.

Of course, we will be nice!

I would say, " WE, (always say WE, so they know it's just not one person's opinion), don't mind you running here when there are no bikes, but when there are bikes, you guys are going to either get someone hurt, or get your car damaged accidentally. It would be better if you went over to the construction site to run them."

Actually, it's hard to find a time when there are not riders there, so they may not come back.

#27 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I will make sure I use this the next time this occurs.

I wanted to make sure I was not overstepping any boundaries since I was not sure the rules. It seems like some of them may be coming over from HobbyTown. Others have a full setup in the back of their SUV with tools, extra parts, etc.

#32 ·
Signage will be going up, just waiting on the city to install it.

I know someone talked to the RC people and let then know the deal - it's a bike track, don't ride your cars when people are biking. I think they got the message. But, honestly, if their car gets run over by a bike using the BIKE track, well....they have no one to blame but themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.