mtbr member

Forest Closures - to ride or not?

With the National Parks and the Forest Service closed, I assume we are not supposed to ride on National Forest land. I had been planning to hit some trails in GWNF this weekend bike packing, and am not sure what to do at this point. Anyone else in similar predicament?
    Ride Your Bicycle

Souperbad
    Sep 2009
    So far only National Park Service areas that require maintenance are closed i.e. trailheads with bathrooms &/or garbage facilities, the National Forest's will still be open. Many people live in the National Forests, it is not all government owned land. You should be fine as long as you can find an open trailhead to leave your vehicle.

mtbr member
    I think you only have a problem with your plans if you needed to use any "park facilities" - use of the land won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Looks like Pandapas (Jefferson Natural Forest) in Blacksburg has closed. Safety-taped off the entrance to the main lot.

Parks, national forest attractions close across region | roanoke.com
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    The local news (Channel 4 Washington, DC) said that the C&O Canal is also closed. The little video they showed looked like the local police were there turning people away.
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

Souperbad
    Sep 2009
    I thought the people owned these recreational areas, not the government. They can afford cops to keep you out, but they can't afford to pay someone to clean bathrooms, empty garbage cans etc. That makes sense!

mtbr member
    Um, yeah. "Public Lands." The WWII vets that knocked down the barricades to the memorial had the right idea. The current administration is being obtuse, throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get their way.

another bozo on the bus
    GWNF is unaffected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Forest Closures - to ride or not?

The current administration followed the law and attempted to secure the areas it is responsible for in preparation for an indefinite shutdown. Congress can certainly change the law and the administration's responsibilities, but has thus far not done so.

another bozo on the bus
    Follow up on my prior post: gated parking areas such as Braleys which we just returned from are closed. The forest is fair game. Just park outside the gate

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I looked at the GWNF website earlier in the week, and it didn't get too specific. Thinking campgrounds like Todd Lake and Hone Quarry would be closed. Was thinking of staying there yet this month. May have to head east and stay at Sherando Lake (state park).

another bozo on the bus
    There are plenty of campsites in non gated areas in the GWNF. I actually prefer to camp away from the facilities as its quieter and often times prettier. It's business as usual out here. Folks are camping, cyclists are riding, hunters are running the dogs and birds are chirping.

Souperbad
    Sep 2009
    Congress just recently tried to get special provisions for National Park Service facilities, but were turned down because the current administration wants to pass their health care law. Just like shutting down white house tours after the sequester, it's just another ploy by the current administration to try and make the other side look like the bad guys. Neither side seem to ever make much sense anyway, we need to start another party backed by common sense not by emotional or monetarily charged decision making. Of course that will never happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Forest Closures - to ride or not?

Yeah, how about we go through every department in the government and decide how much money to give them. Oh, wait, that is the budget process. So let's just do that. Of course, it will take a while, so let's do it under a CR instead of while the government is shut down.

The hilarious part is that the GOP has suddenly discovered a love for NPS after starving it of funding for years. Publicity stunt, please move along.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    There are plenty of campsites in non gated areas in the GWNF. I actually prefer to camp away from the facilities as its quieter and often times prettier. It's business as usual out here. Folks are camping, cyclists are riding, hunters are running the dogs and birds are chirping.
    Yeah, can do backwoods camping, but their is something to be said about a shower after a sweaty backcountry ride. How about North River campground? It's not much of a facility so maybe the gates (if their are any) are open?

another bozo on the bus
    Official word is national forest facilities are closed. Trails and roads are open. National parks are closed all together

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rangers were staking out trailheads in Shenandoah NP this weekend. Always off limits to bikes, I know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    I looked at the GWNF website earlier in the week, and it didn't get too specific. Thinking campgrounds like Todd Lake and Hone Quarry would be closed. Was thinking of staying there yet this month. May have to head east and stay at Sherando Lake (state park).
    I live near Sherando Lake, and it is closed off. Coal Road seems to be open.

VaDon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Unfortunately for your incoherent rant, the law has been already passed into law. Congress is now wearing a suicide vest and demanding all of it's conditions be met or everyone gets blown up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcneace View Post
    Congress just recently tried to get special provisions for National Park Service facilities, but were turned down because the current administration wants to pass their health care law. Just like shutting down white house tours after the sequester, it's just another ploy by the current administration to try and make the other side look like the bad guys. Neither side seem to ever make much sense anyway, we need to start another party backed by common sense not by emotional or monetarily charged decision making. Of course that will never happen.

Souperbad
    Sep 2009
    Nice, real nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VaDon View Post
    I live near Sherando Lake, and it is closed off. Coal Road seems to be open.

VaDon
    Thanks. Thought it would be open. Isn't it a state park? Maybe because it's on GWNF land though?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Different rules for National Parks and National Forests during the shutdown. National Parks are run by the Dept of Interior. National Forests are run by the Dept. of Agriculture.

I'm not a mod, but I recommend we cool it on the politics. I think everyone agrees the shutdown sucks and the sooner the federal govt gets past this, the better.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    2011 On One Inbred