Thread: Flat Trails???

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Flat Trails???

Looking for any flat trails in the MD area. Preferably around the Columbia area but no issue traveling.

mtbr member
    Bit of a drive but Cedarville State Park near Waldorf is pretty flat and sandy as hell in spots.

There is also (cant remember the name right now) a trail system in Eillcott City that connects to Patapsco that is pretty flat. Someone here should read this and know the name.It not to far off 100 behind a school. Rockburne or something like that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wakefield, in VA is fairly flat.

Rosaryville, near Andrews AFB, isn't flat, but the hills are all smooth and non-technical.

Are you looking for flat trails for a new rider? Or some other reason?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Looking For Flat Trails Cus Yes I Am A New Rider And Out Of Shape Lol

mtbr member
    Rockburn... I wouldn't call flat, but nothing around here is (in case you hadn't noticed, there isn't any flat ground around here). Rockburn is as non-technical as it gets, and there aren't long climbs.

as lumber825 said, Cedarville is as flat as it gets, but a hike to get there. The Seminary loop at loch raven starts off pretty flat (where it skirts the shore), while still having some logs and stuff to make it interesting, you can turn around and backtrack when it heads uphill if you like. Thing is, I'm not sure what the legal status of that trail is these days.

bikeboatbrewski
    Tow path, about as flat as it gets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    White Clay Creek is pretty flat in DE
    Robert E Lee In Baltimore is a good flat trail too.. though short and clogged with dogs.
    The Seminary section at Loch Raven is flat in the beginning as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    You may want to stop by some shops in Columbia and ask them also. There are 4 bike shops that I know of in Columbia. They should know the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rockburn is fairly flat and tame, a good place to start.

Fairland is a step up from that - more hills and turns but nothing too demanding aerobically.

Cedarville was already mentioned.

Rosaryville is fairly flat, too, compared with Patapsco-Avalon, but perhaps more challenging (or at least longer) than Fairland.

Patapsco-Daniels has an out-and-back flat trail, essentially a rail trail, running along the river.

Patapsco-McKeldin has a fairly flat trail running along the river, too. If you park along Marriottsville Rd you'll avoid the long climbs.

And then there's also the NCR trail, flat and straight.

mtbr member
    Other than the tow path, which is flat as a board, most of the stuff people are mentioning wouldn't really qualify as flat and easy for an admitted out of shape beginner. The tow path isn't really the kind of fun mountain biking you are probably trying to get into though.

I think you should just find the closest good trail system to you and ride as much as possible to build up your strength and stamina. Don't be embarassed to walk up hills if you have to but try your best and the climbing will get easier in time. Keep riding and before you know it you will be amazed and proud of how much stronger you got.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzen410
    And then there's also the NCR trail, flat and straight.
    As stated NCR is great as far as flat and also it's shady (esp southern half) for the coming very hot months. Patapsco Avalon is flat in the middle (along the river) and you can do big loops with the road on one side and the bike path on the other. The scenery is pretty too and there's even a good sized paved hill for when you're ready to challenge yourself a bit.

Patapsco Avalon would be the closest to Columbia. You can also learn the path system in Columbia which is a lot of flatter stuff. You can do long rides by stringing those paths together if you learn them. There is a LOT of path there (I grew up in Columbia)
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Riding the NCR trail isn't mountain biking.
    picassomoon is right- pick a trail, ride it, get better.
    Dont worry about pushing up hills if you have to, its part of the game.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I Have Been To Rockburn And Like That Trail. Ill Just Keep Doing That One. Thanks All!