Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZTallboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37

    Fairfax Area Mtbrs

    I recently hit my 1 year mark and have worked my way up from LH - Wakefield to Accotink & recently Fountainhead. Solo riding has its place, but I like riding with folks around my level which adds to the fun and learning aspect of mtb for me. I try to ride FH and Accotink 3 to 4 days a week. I can get through FH in about 1:25 to 1:40 range.

    I'm not out there to race. It's the fun, conditioning and challenge that keeps me going.

    Looking for a steady partner(s) to ride with. Message me if anyone is interested. I live in Fairfax Station area.

    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L8Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    I would check with the folks who visit MORE.. Rides - MORE Forums

    Bikenetic and TheBikeLane host group rides, that would probably be a good place to meet up with other MTBrs.

    Ride On!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTallboy View Post
    I recently hit my 1 year mark and have worked my way up from LH - Wakefield to Accotink & recently Fountainhead. Solo riding has its place, but I like riding with folks around my level which adds to the fun and learning aspect of mtb for me. I try to ride FH and Accotink 3 to 4 days a week. I can get through FH in about 1:25 to 1:40 range.

    I'm not out there to race. It's the fun, conditioning and challenge that keeps me going.

    Looking for a steady partner(s) to ride with. Message me if anyone is interested. I live in Fairfax Station area.

    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm down...1:25 was my fastest time at Fountainhead. So you're doing pretty good. I don't think i'll ever be any faster due to my lower back. I can only ride once per week so unfortunately I can't train and build up my cardio. Which is why I'm always riding solo most of the time. My friends ride 3-4x a week and I just can't keep up. Some even smoke and I can't hang.

    If you're down for riding and not into big ego's and racing then I'm down for hitting the trails together some time.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    130
    1:25 for a full loop at FH is faster than 95% of the riders out there. Heck, most people stop at the picnic tables and skip the black loop entirely from what it seems like.

  5. #5
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,571
    Yeah, hit up the MORE site for posted group rides.
    ALL 6 Fh loops with breaks & hitting the skinny's takes me 1:45 - 2:00, so I too largely ride there solo.
    If it weren't closed so frickin' often I'd go more, but now that IMBA made it sustainable (sic) better options exist.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZTallboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    37

    Fairfax Area Mtbrs

    Thx guys. At the end of the day, it's all about the fun and getting a good workout. FH always takes its toll on me...specially the back end which kills my lower back. Still love riding the full loop. It always feels like a great accomplishment even if it takes me 1:40+ sometimes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    anybody willing to do a casual lap sometime this week if weather holds up?

  8. #8
    that guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    210

    Re: Fairfax Area Mtbrs

    If you get out early on the weekends, I'd also recommend Rosaryville State Park (next to Andrews AFB). It only takes me about 25 minutes to get there from Springfield, and it's a pretty fast 9-mile loop with only one or two short climbs. My friends and I usually do two fast laps there to build up endurance. We're not pro racers, and can usually do the 18 total miles in two hours. (My normal FH times are roughly 1:30)

    Schaefer Farms (in Germantown) and Shenandoah River State Park (Bare Bottom Trail or Alan Mountain Trail) are each worth the drives, as well.

    I live next to Accotink, so shoot me a pm whenever you hit it on a weekend -- I'll be glad to join ya at any of the above!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonKid View Post
    anybody willing to do a casual lap sometime this week if weather holds up?
    I'd be down for sure but unfortunately I'm on medication for a stomach virus. Last weekend the weather was so perfect and yet I was stuck at home sick

  10. #10

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    any takers for FH this evening at 6:30?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SManZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    119
    I'm in for Fountainhead runs! PM me - I'm definitely looking for people to ride with. Its not looking good for this week with all the rain. My best was a 1:12 but I was really pissed that day and just cranked my guts out and DILLIGAFed the downhills. I usually turn in a 1:25-1:35 on the full loop.

    I've also got a 10mi route in the Lake Fairfax/Reston area starting at the trailhead off Michael Faraday Dr that can be doubled back for longer rides. I'll be doing a lot of that to train for the MOCO Epic

    I've heard Wakefield and Lake Accotink single tracks are pretty tame but I haven't taken the time to explore. I'm also interested if you're willing to show me those trails.

    -T
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

    2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,105
    I need to get down and check out Fountainhead and other area trails. I only really ride two different trails (Third Battle in Winchester, Rocky Gap State Park in Cumberland, MD, and Davis, WV) with a third thrown in on rare occasion. I ride alone 99.9% of the time because all my friends are too lazy to ride a bike so I stay with what I know. I'd rather explore new stuff with others just in case something happens.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    haven't rode my bike in like three weeks...when i actually have time, it rains

    i feel out of shape

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    anybody up for a ride at FH?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SManZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    119
    I'm headed out to Fountainhead this morning. Planning to be there around 9:30. PM me if you want to meet up!
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

    2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12
    FH is Awesome for being within an hour from me. I went for the first time with a friend who had not been there for 2-3 years. He said it changed a lot! we did the entire loop(green,blue, black) in 1:45. Just this past saturday we went again, did the green, blue loop, and hit the green loop one more time before we had to leave. Would have done the blue loop again, we were running out of daylight. Kinda got a late start.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Wanted to bump this up. I'm right off the Wakefield trail, if anyone is ever looking to hit it up, let me know!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    I'm down...1:25 was my fastest time at Fountainhead. So you're doing pretty good. I don't think i'll ever be any faster due to my lower back. I can only ride once per week so unfortunately I can't train and build up my cardio. Which is why I'm always riding solo most of the time. My friends ride 3-4x a week and I just can't keep up. Some even smoke and I can't hang.

    If you're down for riding and not into big ego's and racing then I'm down for hitting the trails together some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTallboy View Post
    Thx guys. At the end of the day, it's all about the fun and getting a good workout. FH always takes its toll on me...specially the back end which kills my lower back. Still love riding the full loop. It always feels like a great accomplishment even if it takes me 1:40+ sometimes.
    hey guys,
    I have two herniated discs in my lower back, L5/S1 and L4/L5, which has kept me off mtn biking for about a year. i haven't been even on a bike until last week. i've been going to the gym to get situated on a stationary bike to gauge my biking posture and to get a feel of what 'feels rights', 'feels crappy', 'eek hurts my lower back'.

    i have a hardtail right now, tho i do think i should buy a full suspension since it'll help my lower back.

    this might be too personal, but how are your lower back issues? and how have you dealt with them and biking? do you right full suspension? have you adjusted your biking posture?

    please let me know. thanks all.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    I have lower back issues as well and was not able to exercise at all for many months last year. I ride a FS and my back is usually not much of an issue anymore but the backside of Fountainhead always irritates it. I do ride a FS but I am not sure switching to HT would make anything any worse. I have found that I have more pain on the MTB than the road bike but I think that has more to do with the position.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    806
    Core, core, core. If I neglect my core work, the back flares up every time. If my core is solid, so is my back. I know its more complicated than that for a lot of people and everyone's situation is different. But I thought I'd chip in anyway.

    Theoretically, FS should be easier on the back than HT, but I'd probably agree with Joneser that riding position is more important. Good posture on the bike is important too - flat back, not curved or hunched; using arms and legs actively to smooth out the bumps; etc.

    Since this is a Fairfax County thread, may I suggest riding Meadowood or Laurel Hill if FH is too rough on the ole lumbar. Okay, I'd wait a month or so to ride Laurel Hill; that place is tick-a-polooza in the summer.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Joneser172 View Post
    I have lower back issues as well and was not able to exercise at all for many months last year. I ride a FS and my back is usually not much of an issue anymore but the backside of Fountainhead always irritates it. I do ride a FS but I am not sure switching to HT would make anything any worse. I have found that I have more pain on the MTB than the road bike but I think that has more to do with the position.
    How squishy is your setup? I wonder if that helps at all with your back....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    23
    i currently have a hardtail, but i'm looking to buy a new bike or new to me. probably a full suspension 27.5er. hopefully the rear suspension will help and hopefully i can get this bike fitted properly to aid in an upright torso and avoid lower lumbar flexion.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    182
    Don't forget about a proper bike fitting. For years I would see that response in forums and brushed it off. This year I took the time to fit both road and mtb (full suspension) and it has helped immensely with my back issues. I recommend a place that uses this BikeFit

    And you won't believe how far things were "off" compared to how I had them set up. Is it expensive, yes... but in the long run I could keep you on the bike longer and out of the chiro's office (or which ever dr. you see).

    Core work and bike fit. They go hand in hand.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberSideDown34 View Post
    Don't forget about a proper bike fitting. For years I would see that response in forums and brushed it off. This year I took the time to fit both road and mtb (full suspension) and it has helped immensely with my back issues. I recommend a place that uses this BikeFit

    And you won't believe how far things were "off" compared to how I had them set up. Is it expensive, yes... but in the long run I could keep you on the bike longer and out of the chiro's office (or which ever dr. you see).

    Core work and bike fit. They go hand in hand.
    great idea. bikefit is actually located in herndon, which is 5 miles from my home. i think i've actually been there before to do a bodyfat test. nice people.

    if any1 else is interested, a1-cycling in herndon has a similar program called "Specialized BodyGeometry FIT program (BG)" i think it might be more specific to fitting you to a specialized brand bike, but i'm not sure. if i go specialized, i might consider this a viable option. thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A Favor From My Fellow NV MTBRs
    By Magnum357 in forum Nevada
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM
  2. OT- Mtbrs' ride vintage mx this Sun.
    By RobZona in forum Arizona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 08:49 PM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. Calling all MTBRs in the Cincinnati area
    By tangaroo in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 06:15 AM
  5. Post News for Women MTBRs
    By mtbxplorer in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •