mtbr member

Explorer Park...

First time there today. Ive been hesitant going there because it seems like everyone around here doesn't like it too much (don't know why I've gotten that vibe). However, I absolutely loved it. I had no idea that IMBA made it. Awesome single track, great signage, and a lot of fun. I came away so stoked to go to this place. I love, LOVE Carvins Cove, however, this is going to add a lot to where I go riding.

Just my 2 cents.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dooger52287 View Post
    First time there today. Ive been hesitant going there because it seems like everyone around here doesn't like it too much (don't know why I've gotten that vibe). However, I absolutely loved it. I had no idea that IMBA made it. Awesome single track, great signage, and a lot of fun. I came away so stoked to go to this place. I love, LOVE Carvins Cove, however, this is going to add a lot to where I go riding.

Just my 2 cents.
    I like those trails too. Totally different than the Cove, more rooty and twisty but still good. My favorite parts are the Endurance Loop and the Outer Loop where you look down on Back Creek.

I think it is the most scenic trail system around when the leaves turn in the fall with all the old hardwoods.

Explore park would made a great additon to the Virginia state park system..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Was it muddy?

Quote Originally Posted by dooger52287 View Post

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Hank - if Explore is muddy you don't want to go there. It's dangerous. I don't mind going out there to ride other than the drive to get there can be quite annoying after work. I also get a bit creeped out if I'm by myself. My favorite way to loop it there is beginner, intermediate, endurance loop, inner loop, outer and out on the other side of the road (backwards) if I'm up for it then ride it all in reverse order. Look out Saturday as there is a 5k/10k trail running race there. =)
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Another plus for Explore is that you can night ride there. Technically, you are not supposed to at the Cove. Not sure how much if any they enforce it at the Cove, They used to have a Thursday night ride at Explore in the fall after the time changed and the days are shorter. I don't know if that is still going or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank E View Post
    Was it muddy?
    Not at all. I'm sure after this morning's rain it may be a bit muddy, but it was as dry as a bone when I went.

I'd rather be riding
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen View Post
    I also get a bit creeped out if I'm by myself.
    I always have a similar feeling there as well. I blame that old cabin.