oaken tub i'm in

Elizabeth Furnace map

I want a map that will help me explore elizabeth furnace. I know one can get topo maps like this one from USGS, but has anybody used one of these and know which map would be useful?

oaken tub i'm in
    Looks like these National Geographic maps are a good bet, too.

oaken tub i'm in
    I'm a genius. Googled elizabeth furnace and found this. Forehead slap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbike
    I'm a genius. Googled elizabeth furnace and found this. Forehead slap.
    Don't miss the East side of the area, across Ft Valley Rd.

Shawl and Sherman gap are off the hook if you like technical riding.
    Last edited by mtnpat; 02-11-2006 at 08:24 PM. Reason: jus cuz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Sherman gap?

How do you get to sherman from say bear wallow parking lot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvueer
    How do you get to sherman from say bear wallow parking lot?
    Just so we are clear, Bear Wallow parking lot is the one directly across from the family campground. Signal Knob parking lot is the large one further North on Ft Valley Rd.

So from Bear Wallow parking, you would exit and turn left (North) on Ft Valley Rd. About 1/2 mile on your right is a paved parking area. This is where the actuall "furnace" is....the one they manufactured pig iron in way back when. From this parking lot, you can access the Sherman Gap trail to the right, the Shawl Gap trail to the left, both after crossing Passage Creek. Both trails take you up to the ridge and the Buzzard Rocks trail.

Check this out:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id83.html
    Last edited by mtnpat; 02-21-2006 at 10:36 AM.

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Most importantly....

Is there a way to the top of these trails (particularly Meneka Peak) without actually pedalling there? Does the fireroad allow for public use by a car/truck with a couple people in it? How about ATV? Horses? Sherpa?

Don't tell me I have to rent a helicopter to avoid the climb/hike to the top...

Thanks
    EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know if this will help, but here's some GPS tracks of the main trails there. The lower marker is the parking lot and the other is the overlook. This follows the fire road up to the overlook then back down to the singletract that goes back to the parking lot. The fireroad goes around the mountain and past the pond there.

The whole trip is about 12 or 13 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 02-22-2006 at 05:05 AM.

mtbr member
    cool maps

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Now why'd you have to go and do that? Now I really want to ride there.

Too bad the push to the top with my big bike would probably kill me deader than disco.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Butter Topping
    That's a fact.

Forest service road gate stays closed just after passing Mudhole Gap, and even if you could drive farther in, you would still have to pedal and/or push to get to the top.

For what it's worth....I know several guys on BIG travel HEAVY bikes that do it and beat me on my wimpy cross-country bike (and I aint THAT bad, I can climb maybe 60% of the hike-a-bike).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Coopers Rock

Here's Coopers Rock near Morgantown

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the compliments about the pics. Honestly, 'Liz really isn't my cup of tea. Just seems to me too far to drive (2+ hrs) for 12 miles of combined fire road (mostly ~ 75%) and 1 singletract. Beautiful views though. That climb is long, but I never thought it was too tough. Just granny gear it and take your time. No need to race.

here's some more pics of my favorite places

First one's are of Kanawha State Forest. I'll post more in a "reply" to this. The marker is the parking lot at the pool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

WVU Forest

This is across from Coopers. The marker is the Campground we stay at.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Butter Topping
    Most importantly....

Is there a way to the top of these trails (particularly Meneka Peak) without actually pedalling there? Does the fireroad allow for public use by a car/truck with a couple people in it? How about ATV? Horses? Sherpa?

Thanks
    You've got to pay to play...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    the ride up isnt bad, no offence but dont take the rout that was posted w/ the wicked cool topo thing, take signal knob trail up to where it meets with the big blue? (tuscororra?) idk its marked and rolls along the ridge for a short distance, take the first left on down the mountain and injoy, its kinda rocky near the top, but gets faster and flowy near the bottom... if you love rocky DH reverse the loop and there is like a 2mile rock garden (probably less, but it feels long on the push up) im going to be up there in the neer future if you want someone to push with...
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    Pay to play indeed..... for a lift ticket.

I never really subscribed to the earn-your-downhill school of thought for the same reason I don't cross country ski, telemark ski, or jog. Now I'm just aging and looking for a thrill on every ride, and not the kind that comes from burning lungs, legs, or buttcheaks.

Hell I'm not too proud to even let someone carry me to the top if they'll do it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KomodoRider
    the ride up isnt bad, no offence but dont take the rout that was posted w/ the wicked cool topo thing, take signal knob trail up to where it meets with the big blue? (tuscororra?) idk its marked and rolls along the ridge for a short distance, take the first left on down the mountain and injoy, its kinda rocky near the top, but gets faster and flowy near the bottom... if you love rocky DH reverse the loop and there is like a 2mile rock garden (probably less, but it feels long on the push up) im going to be up there in the neer future if you want someone to push with...
    I would be upto trying it.

UUG but which bike to bring???

Jamis Dakar XC with 3" of travel 27 lbs
    Yeti AS-X with 7" of travel 40 lbs and no granny gear

How beat up would I be coming down on the Jamis, but how dead would I be trying to climb with a 40 pound bike with no granny gear.

mtbr member
    Don't try those trails without a granny gear. I'm no wuss and I'm no stud but without my little ring I would never have made it to the top of that mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cooper's and Elizabeth Furnace

Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Here's Coopers Rock near Morgantown
    Hey,

I live in Pittsburgh PA and was thinking of checking out Cooper's Rock. I grew up in Northern VA and am pretty familiar with Elizabeth Furnace.

How does the terrain compare? Can you get the same type of vertical ascent/descent? I would really appreciate any information.

Thanks,
    Donny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donnywholovedsurfing
    Hey,

I live in Pittsburgh PA and was thinking of checking out Cooper's Rock. I grew up in Northern VA and am pretty familiar with Elizabeth Furnace.

How does the terrain compare? Can you get the same type of vertical ascent/descent? I would really appreciate any information.

Thanks,
    Donny
    I personally like Coopers better myself. More miles of trails and theres a couple longer hill climbs there. MUCH more singletract. Coopers is about 2.5 hour drive from the north side of the 'Burgh. I was up there in the Freeport area along rt28. So it's an easy daytrip. If you'd like longer and bigger hills, you can go right across I-68 to the WVU forest there. Not as many trails as coopers, but the downhill for a xc bike is great. I plan to be camping there sometime late summer early fall. If you want I'll let ya know and show ya around

Members who have read this thread: 0