mtbr member

Douthat Loop Suggestions

Didn't want to high jack the other thread here..

Headed to Douthat next week and have put together the following loop from a few older threads:

Blue Suck Falls - Locust Gap - Stony Run - Tuscarora Overlook - Middle Mountain - Salt Stump - Ross Camp - Mountain Top - Brushy Hollow

I tried to replicate the Middle Mountain Momma race loop. Just wondering what an average loop time would be? We are spending the day there and where looking to do around 20-30 miles or 4-6 hours.

Does anyone have any adjustments or recommendation to add?

Thanks!!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Excellent loop. Usually takes me 4 -5 and I am old and slow The fastest racers can do the MMM course in 2 hours. Guess most people would be in between. The course has I believe around 5000 feet of climbing, so even though it is 20 miles or less you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I prefer Mountain Side slightly over Mountain Top, but that could be the lazieness in me coming out on the second half of the ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Excellent loop. Usually takes me 4 -5 and I am old and slow The fastest racers can do the MMM course in 2 hours. Guess most people would be in between. The course has I believe around 5000 feet of climbing, so even though it is 20 miles or less you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I prefer Mountain Side slightly over Mountain Top, but that could be the lazieness in me coming out on the second half of the ride.
    I originally planned on Mountain Side, but assumed the going down to be better on Mountain Top....which section of trail is more "fun" if you will?

there's no bread
    Just want to add that the descent on Brushy Hollow is wicked fun.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    I originally planned on Mountain Side, but assumed the going down to be better on Mountain Top....which section of trail is more "fun" if you will?
    Climbing up Mountain Top in the direction you are describing is demoralizing. A series of false summits, each one steeper than the last. Mountain side skirts around that knob so it is easier, but you don't get the DH off the knob.

So to answer your question, Mountain Top is more fun, but it's also significantly harder.

I prefer to ride that side of the ridge in the direction you are describing. (north to south). I used to do Mt Top, but the last few times there I did Mountain Side just to check it out. I think I'll go back to doing Mountain Top. Heck , the reason I go to Douthat is to climb stuff to come down again, so why skip a knob that's right there?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.