mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Difficult Run trail conditions?

Has anyone been out to Difficult Run after the snow? Curious as to the trail conditions -- was hoping to do an early evening ride there on Thursday.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Probably sloppy but rideable. Where are you dropping in? From the ice rink lot to lake fairfax should be fine but beyond lake fairfax is usually where it starts to get bad. I have not crossed at 7 at Colvin run in a while but it always seemed bogged. If you just stay on the north side of 7 and continue that section is always hit or miss all the way back to the w&od. Just as a heads up the pre rides for the bakers dozen are this sun and next sat out at rock land farm, probably the best singletrack in the area and its only open a few times a year.
    E.P.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice, thanks for the info. Was thinking of dropping in at the ice rink.

When is the ride on Sunday at rockland? Not familiar with that trail -- can you link some info on location?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think if you check the go time racing Facebook or website it should have info on the times. I wanna say its from 8 or 9 to 2 pm. Rock land farm is just north of leesburg off 15. Again it's private land so it is normally off limits except for the two or three weekends leading up to the bakers dozen.
    E.P.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Map: Farm Ln, Leesburg, VA 20176 - Google Maps

If you've never ridden the trail, take advantage while it's open. It's flat and easy, but still good fun. Times are 8 - 2PM. As the previous poster mentioned, this Sunday is the next one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Since when is sloppy rideable????? Please stay of trails when wet! Difficult Run and LF have taken a beating from all the idiots riding within days of rain/snow or during periods of freeze/thaw cycles. Complaints have already been made to NVRPA by other trail users and if it doesn't improve I wouldn't be surprised to see more trail closures. There were showers in Reston this afternoon but if the temps stay above freezing each night AND the temps during the day hit near 50, it might be rideable by the weekend. Also, just cuz the top section by the ice rink is dry doesn't mean you aren't putting ruts into the single track like several people didn't seem to mind doing late last week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cxrcr,

Not trying to give mis infromation, I guess "sloppy" would not be Synonymous with "rideable". My fault. The only time I have ever seen that trail completely dry, as in no mud whatsoever would be in the dead of summer during extrememe drought conditions. There is almost always areas which have mud or water, most of which have been covered with small bridges or log crossings causing much less to no damage. As far as the upper part of the trail nearest the ice rink, i cannot remember a time when i have seen ruts in that area. Also I did try to give an alternitive to the difficult run trail by offering up the farm? Also I do not ride the difficult run trail if has rained in the last week, it always has and always will have drainige issues.
    E.P.
    Last edited by ECU-Yukon; 03-27-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks everyone for the info, especially about the Bakers Dozen pre-ride. Definitely checking that out if the rain holds out on Sunday.

I'm going to Difficult tonight to check it out, hopefully it's not too bad. I have no intention of riding through thick mud and screwing up the trail though, no worries!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    FYI, went and road Difficult tonight. Save for a few sections that are near the creek which had some watery mud, the trail was 95%-99% dry and completely rideable.