mtbr member
    Jun 2013

DH MTB near Blacksburg, VA?

Hi there, Im looking at getting into Downhill mtb. Im from New Jersey and have raced dirtbikes for 5 years now (ECEA harescrambles, A class). However, I will be starting classes at Virginia Tech July 9th and I won't be able to keep my dirtbike down there. Downhill is something ive always wanted to get into and I was wondering if there was any sweet spots within an hour and a half from Blacksburg? thanks a lot.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    There is not much true downhilling in Blacksburg. There are folks that do shuttle runs at Pandapas Pond just outside of town. Those trails are more cross country - all mountain category trails. 45 minutes north at Carvins Cove the free ride -downhill folks have built a bunch of jumps, but you have to ride up (search Trough and Gauntlet trails). They have built quite a few jumps over in Bedford county too, Falling Creek I think is the name of that park. Tons of what is considered all mountain riding in the area - self propelled to the top. Snowshoe is the resort of choice for lift access downhilling. Check out these guys when you come to town they should be able to hook you up with the latest info. Blue Ridge Gravity: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2127...64313/?fref=ts

Formerly of Kent
    I'd be willing to bet that you'd get more utility out of a long travel AM bike than a true DH sled.

You can ride it back to the top of the mountain, go on "XC" rides, etc.

I lived in an area with GREAT DH (Hood River, OR), and plenty of people who were shuttling all the time. Even so, most of the people I knew had 150-160mm of travel. Why? Because they could still do shuttle rides, and also ride the local loops.

With a DH bike, it's simply no fun to go uphill or even ride on flat ground for any period of time. Unless you can hook up with a dedicated group of people (5-6 dudes = multiple runs before you run out of vehicles), it will be incredibly difficult to get any real DH done. You'll drive to the trailhead, do a run, then have to pedal back up. Which is absolutely miserable on a DH bike. You'll probably end up pushing the bike instead of riding it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    There is not much true downhilling in Blacksburg. There are folks that do shuttle runs at Pandapas Pond just outside of town. Those trails are more cross country - all mountain category trails. 45 minutes north at Carvins Cove the free ride -downhill folks have built a bunch of jumps, but you have to ride up (search Trough and Gauntlet trails). They have built quite a few jumps over in Bedford county too, Falling Creek I think is the name of that park. Tons of what is considered all mountain riding in the area - self propelled to the top. Snowshoe is the resort of choice for lift access downhilling. Check out these guys when you come to town they should be able to hook you up with the latest info. Blue Ridge Gravity: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2127...64313/?fref=ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that you'd get more utility out of a long travel AM bike than a true DH sled.

You can ride it back to the top of the mountain, go on "XC" rides, etc.

I lived in an area with GREAT DH (Hood River, OR), and plenty of people who were shuttling all the time. Even so, most of the people I knew had 150-160mm of travel. Why? Because they could still do shuttle rides, and also ride the local loops.

With a DH bike, it's simply no fun to go uphill or even ride on flat ground for any period of time. Unless you can hook up with a dedicated group of people (5-6 dudes = multiple runs before you run out of vehicles), it will be incredibly difficult to get any real DH done. You'll drive to the trailhead, do a run, then have to pedal back up. Which is absolutely miserable on a DH bike. You'll probably end up pushing the bike instead of riding it.
    okay so do u guys think an all-mountain or enduro bike would be better if i were to do local trails with the occasional trip to snowshoe?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    All Mountain is pretty much the norm around here. Some of the gravity guys have the big sleds, I would say most have XC/AM also. A lot of people rent bikes at Snowshoe.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Second the suggestion of hooking up with the guys in Blue Ridge Gravity.

Most good downhills around here require pedaling or pushing your bike to the top, but there are a few places you can do some shuttling with some effort.

BTW, Carvins Cove is East of Blacksburg, not North.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by csalter71 View Post
    okay so do u guys think an all-mountain or enduro bike would be better if i were to do local trails with the occasional trip to snowshoe?
    For around here, I think a 6-7" AM bike ios about as big as you want to go. But I would ask this over on the Blue Ridge Gravity FB page or on there forum.

Also check out VT Freeride: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vtfreeride/

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by csalter71 View Post
    Never been to Snowshoe, but I've done park and park-like riding on a 150mm bike.

mtbr member
    Ooh rah! Le Duke lol 2013 foes fxr perfect for EVERYTHING!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm not saying you can't, but I personally wouldn't bring an AM bike to Snowshoe. Yeah there are some flowy trails but overall it's rocky, rooty and a lot of long descents on the Western side. You do see a few AM setups there but the majority are riding DH bikes. At the end of the day having a DH bike won't beat you up and tire you out at as badly. Snowshoe did recently upgrade their rental fleet so you can get a solid rental that isn't all clapped out.

Just my $0.02 when riding there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Most everyone here at Snowshoe have a dedicated DH bike and a trail bike. We see plenty of guys and girls riding 5" bikes on the slopes, it'll make you a better rider... until you break everything on it. Look into a solid 6" bike to do everything, or get a fun trail bike and rent when you come up here.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I rode a pretty well-built 5.5" AM bike at Snowshoe one time (Azonic Saber). It was fun for sure, but it was pretty hard on me and the bike (bent XM321 rim).