Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Rolling on 650b
    Reputation: Clipless in PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    291

    Davis, WV trail conditions?

    I'm headed down to Davis this coming weekend, and heard the area suffered from storm damage. Does anyone have info on the current shape of the trails? Specifically interested in Lead Mine and the Plantation system. Any trails that should be avoided?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,977
    I was up there hiking a few weeks ago and they were a mess with downed trees. I really want to get up there soon to help with trail maintenance. They do it every ???? Thursday of the month I think. Could someone confirm?

    I'd say the CVI system is good since they just had a race there recently.

  3. #3
    song of the saw-whet owl
    Reputation: oldnoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    425
    Can't speak for Leadmine area, but there isn't much riding down there anyway.....But in Davis, we just finished clearing Plantation end-to-end last weekend which was took days and was a ball-buster. Everywhere else is good too. I would say 90% of all the trails are clear, so come on up! Stop in the bike shop for intel on best places to ride

    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    I'm headed down to Davis this coming weekend, and heard the area suffered from storm damage. Does anyone have info on the current shape of the trails? Specifically interested in Lead Mine and the Plantation system. Any trails that should be avoided?

    Thanks!
    just another piece of chaga

  4. #4
    Rolling on 650b
    Reputation: Clipless in PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    291
    Thanks guys!

    I'll definetely hit BWB and talk to Roger. Glad to hear Plantation is cleared, thanks for the hard work. Maybe we'll ride the CVI stuff on Friday and Plantation on Saturday.

  5. #5
    bikeboatbrewski
    Reputation: scottybinwv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,383
    Unless it has changed the 2nd Saturday of each month is trail work. Of course you can come up any day and do TW.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,977
    Thanks. I'll definitely make it up there to help out some, hopefully next TW day since I'll be off work that weekend. I'm hoping to make it up maybe next weekend to ride, if weather and LASIK surgery this week will allow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Thanks guys!

    I'll definetely hit BWB and talk to Roger. Glad to hear Plantation is cleared, thanks for the hard work. Maybe we'll ride the CVI stuff on Friday and Plantation on Saturday.
    And all this time I thought BWB was Blackwater Brewing! Of couse, I usually only get to Davis in the wintertime and hit BWB after the slopes.

  8. #8
    Rolling on 650b
    Reputation: Clipless in PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    291
    Yeah, I guess it could be Blackwater brewing.... I prefer Mountain State in Thomas myself. Anyhow, thanks to all the folks doing trail maintenance down there. We all had a great time. Rode the Camp 70 stuff out to Moon and HooDoo rocks, then tried Splashdam for the first time. It had poured the previous couple days, so some of the stream crossings were deep, and the river was ROARING next to Splashdam! Glad the trail wasn't two feet lower, or it would have been underwater. Rode Plantation, Fire trail #6, Loop road, Davis on Saturday, all were in great shape. Hit Dobbin house on Sunday, some blowdowns, but mostly rideable, we cleared what we could without saws. Thanks again for the info and hard work!

  9. #9
    CrgCrkRyder
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Yeah, I guess it could be Blackwater brewing.... I prefer Mountain State in Thomas myself. Anyhow, thanks to all the folks doing trail maintenance down there. We all had a great time. Rode the Camp 70 stuff out to Moon and HooDoo rocks, then tried Splashdam for the first time. It had poured the previous couple days, so some of the stream crossings were deep, and the river was ROARING next to Splashdam! Glad the trail wasn't two feet lower, or it would have been underwater. Rode Plantation, Fire trail #6, Loop road, Davis on Saturday, all were in great shape. Hit Dobbin house on Sunday, some blowdowns, but mostly rideable, we cleared what we could without saws. Thanks again for the info and hard work!
    Good Stuff! Those are pretty much the same loops we did on our last trip up there.

  10. #10
    song of the saw-whet owl
    Reputation: oldnoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Yeah, I guess it could be Blackwater brewing.... I prefer Mountain State in Thomas myself. Anyhow, thanks to all the folks doing trail maintenance down there. We all had a great time. Rode the Camp 70 stuff out to Moon and HooDoo rocks, then tried Splashdam for the first time. It had poured the previous couple days, so some of the stream crossings were deep, and the river was ROARING next to Splashdam! Glad the trail wasn't two feet lower, or it would have been underwater. Rode Plantation, Fire trail #6, Loop road, Davis on Saturday, all were in great shape. Hit Dobbin house on Sunday, some blowdowns, but mostly rideable, we cleared what we could without saws. Thanks again for the info and hard work!
    Glad you had a blast and FYI that Dobbin house (perimeter trail) is cleared now as of this past sunday when we had a trail day as part of the mtb festival. the pase point extension trail on the edge of the canyon in that same network also finally underwent a severe cutback of overgrowth and is a dream to ride again!
    just another piece of chaga

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    242
    Anyone ride here recently that can comment on the trail conditions? Any preferred routes on the Plantation side of the trails? Going there this weekend (2 days of riding!). Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Davis, WV trail recommendations
    By rudy1337 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 05:40 AM
  2. Debauchery at Davis 2 - Plantation Trail system
    By CraigCreekRider in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
  3. CVI Trail ride -Debauchery at Davis
    By CraigCreekRider in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2011, 07:18 AM
  4. Trail Conditions - South Yuba, Rim Trail, Missouri Bar
    By bigboulder in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
  5. Welch trail pioneer Dafydd Davis to give Keynote at PTBA Conference
    By Woodman in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •