mtbr member

Davis/canaan valley

Hello, WV'ers! I'm taking a trip to Canaan Valley in August and have no previous experience there. Any thoughts on the best places to ride that are within perhaps an hour at most but preferably closer.

Thanks,

J

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I have not ridden the stuff in Canaan Valley proper, but there is plenty to ride in the Davis area. 2 main systems, CVI Trails
    Cvi Trails Mountain Bike Trail in Davis, West Virginia || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    and Plantation trail and its network
    Plantation Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Davis, West Virginia || SINGLETRACKS.COM

I don't know your riding ability but these trails are very difficult. Techy rock gardens and lots of mud. CVI trails are easier of the 2 and Moon Rocks is so cool. There are also some rail to trails in the area, I think one is on the Blackwater River. Davis is one of the coolest mountain bike towns around (oh yea they ski there too )

Blackwater Bikes has wrenches, bikes, and maps so it is a must visit spot. Hellbenders burritos is also.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I ride a very rocky and technical area here in PA, so I'm not too worried about that, although my wife will be along. She's not as experienced but I think we'll be smart about it an manage. I'm looking forward to sampling some of the local fare down there. We're going to hopefully do some whitewater rafting and some hiking at Seneca Rocks, I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was just down there a couple of weeks ago on my motorcycle. Davis looks pretty run down, sort of like the heyday passed 10 years ago. I'm sure the trails are fine but kind of got the vibe it's not the destination it once was. If you were referring to food with the word "fare" there's a burrito place in Davis that's supposed to be good, everything else not so good.

Hermit
    Check with Blackwater Bikes in Davis for riding recommendations and maps - these guys are the real deal and will help you out.

The burrito place is Hellbenders - stop in and fill up.

I really love that area. Enjoy!!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. When talking about "fare," I was referring to the trails but we plan on eating and shopping in nearby areas as well. We'll definitely check out Hellbenders! Thanks!

J

mtbr member
    Hellbenders is great and up the road is the Purple Fiddle. Good stuff there as well. The town is a bit of a dump but it's definitely a mountain biking destination. Don't let the looks of the town fool you. It's a nice place once you get past the exterior. Full of hippies and mountain bikers. I love it up there. The area is simply beautiful and some of the best hiking and mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just spent a few days out there (first trip out there). Stayed at Canaan Valley State Park Resort, which I would choose not to do next time. It's a bit run down but more than that it is far from most of what you'll want to do. The Bright Morning Inn looked pretty nice, and staying there would pretty well allow you to park the car and leave it for your stay.

The trails are still suffering from damage caused by last summer's derecho storm and then Sandy. Tons of blow downs, and everything is still saturated. It should dry out by the time you go. There are only so many people doing trail work and progress is slow. The guy (Rich?) at Blackwater Bikes is great, his dog is awesome, and he will have the day to day low down on what is clear and best for any given day.

Not too many mountain towns look all that pristine in the full light of summer but Davis and Thomas (2 miles up route 32) do seem a bit frayed at the edges. It's WV, not Vail. Sirianni's Pizza is great, the Purple Fiddle is swell also. Mountain State Brewing Co is cool as well.

My first ride was up Middle Ground (?) from the Park Resort up Allegheny to the Loop Road (big fire road), then to Davis Trail, down to Plantation, and out to 32. I don't think this would be a lot of fun for someone who doesn't ride a lot. It's hard.

The next ride (wet weather) started in the Dobbin House area of Blackwater Falls Park. If this trail had been 100 miles long I would have loved it - tight, tough enough to keep you on your toes but you are riding the whole time, some fast, some slow, and absolutely incredible scenery. From there I crossed over to the CVI area. Would have loved to ride more in there but it was really really wet and I was wearing out from riding in the cold.

I left Saturday morning of Mem Day weekend but was shocked at how many cars with nice bikes were on Main Street on Friday evening. It's clearly still a destination for a ton of people. I'd go again but maybe not in spring and would absolutely stay in town (my trip was last minute so availability was scarce).

bikeboatbrewski
    There are some short loops of trails across the river in Thomas. Blackwater Falls SP has several trails, some are hiking/horse only. The CVI trails are under new management by WV DNR. The old RR grade goes from near Douglas to Hendricks along Blackwater river canyon, this has some blow downs and old slides on it. Canaan Valley SP has trails too. Many other trails in the area but also have damage.

Roger or Tim at BWB shop will have the 411. Getting the trails squared away bit at a time. Could use some help, second Saturday of each month is trail day. Help if you can!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Both Timberline and CV Resort have trails as well. I used to camp at Timberline and ride that area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was going to be passing thru West Virginia near Davis next week.I was planning on taking only a 29er rigid steel SS on the trip.Would that bike even be useful there,or should I add a Yeti Big Top to the rack?

mtbr member
    You should bring the Big Top. The best trails are very rocky with some short but steep climbs. That said, a buddy's son rode Plantation on a rigid fixie with his mad skills. Nevertheless, IMO the more suspension you have, the more fun you'll have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    You should bring the Big Top. The best trails are very rocky with some short but steep climbs. That said, a buddy's son rode Plantation on a rigid fixie with his mad skills. Nevertheless, IMO the more suspension you have, the more fun you'll have.
    I should add that I am recovering from an injury and will not be able to ride the "best" trails ,and in fact may just be able to get a little exercise on fire roads for the next few months.So I thought maybe the SS would stay clean and maintenance free in mud and would not be a big loss if someone stole it during the trip which will also go thru some urban areas.

mtbr member
    CVI trails aren't bad. I bit rocky but nothing a SS rigid can't handle. A lot of it anyways.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by duke walker View Post
    I should add that I am recovering from an injury and will not be able to ride the "best" trails ,and in fact may just be able to get a little exercise on fire roads for the next few months.So I thought maybe the SS would stay clean and maintenance free in mud and would not be a big loss if someone stole it during the trip which will also go thru some urban areas.
    Maybe you should take a look at this route - it may give you some ideas.

Canaan Loop Road Ride

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/