mtbr member

Cranky Monkey MTB Race Series

EX2Adventures just released their 2013 race calendar. http://www.ex2adventures.com/race-calendar-2013.php
    The standard cross country mtb races are gone. They will have 3 endurance races though, 6,9 and 12 hours.

Helmetless Crasher
    Saw that, too.

Did the CM at Schaeffer last year as my first bike race ever. Planned to do it every year - disappointed to see its been nixed for '13.

Is there a listing of "conventional format" XC races for our area somewhere?

Thanks.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    EX2Adventures just released their 2013 race calendar. EX2 Adventures
    The standard cross country mtb races are gone. They will have 3 endurance races though, 6,9 and 12 hours.
    They also added a "3hr solo" category to each of the 6, 9, and 12 hour endurance races.

What It Be ?
    FWIW, they were wayyyyy over priced. Most xc people I know wait a week out or so to reg. You can get injured,sick what have you and have to loose that money. 50$ for race day.

I raced the Wednesdays at Wakefield series last year 60$ for the whole shebang. What we need is a series like the MABRA Super8 CX series. Races at Patapsco, Gambrills, Fairhill places lesser ridden. The local stuff is fun but bleh I'm not forking out 50$ for a single race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Saw that, too.

Did the CM at Schaeffer last year as my first bike race ever. Planned to do it every year - disappointed to see its been nixed for '13.

Is there a listing of "conventional format" XC races for our area somewhere?

Thanks.
    There is the Mid Atlantic Super Series. They do a bunch of standard XC races.

The Mid-Atlantic Super Series

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Potomac Velo member here (ChrisJ, this is Mike...). With the Cranky CX series nixed for this year I am guessing our turnout might be even bigger for this summer's W@W series.

I'm not going to miss the CM XC series as I agree they are overpriced, but he was getting pretty full fields so obviously other people don't think so. I've pretty much moved away from XC races to endurance races, I actually like them more than XC since I can outlast people much better than I can race them at full boogey, so I like the extra 6 hour endurance race.

Also, VentureQuest is back after a 3 year hiatus, so I need to start up running and orienteering again to get ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I see they are putting on a half marathon at Fountainhead. That's interesting (/s). What side does that take place on - the MTB side or the hiking/equestrian side?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    I see they are putting on a half marathon at Fountainhead. That's interesting (/s). What side does that take place on - the MTB side or the hiking/equestrian side?
    All of his running races have always used the horse trails (blue?) or the bull-run-occoquan trail.

What It Be ?
    Yea, Jim pulls constant crowds to the races.

W@W this summer is going to be big I think. I'm shifting back to XC and away from endurance, easier to train for sort of. Less time.

I'm going to focus on the MASS series. And possibly the SERC with a race or 2 depending on driving/gas/car pool.