Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    43

    Conditions near Rosaryville

    Hello from NY!

    Since we are literally BURIED in snow here, I am wondering what the conditions are a bit south, namely Rosaryville since there is a race I am interesting in attending there next month. It's a pricey trip for me and I don't want to register if it looks like the race may be cancelled / a total waste (I'll be riding a brand new race bike and would rather not ruin my $1000+ drive train in slop).

    Hope you are all faring better than us, I live on the trainer!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    135
    It will be bad for a while around here (i.e mud fest). We received about a foot of snow in the DC metro area and temps will be rising to near/over 60 by the weekend. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see some random showers as well. Best to stick with the trainer or hit some pavement.

  3. #3
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,983

    Conditions near Rosaryville

    Rosaryville sheds water very well and is generally quite resilient when most other trails in the area are mush. So odds are your race won't be cancelled. You can check the status of area trail conditions on the MORE web site... http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26695
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    13
    We rode it last week before the snow. It was rutted and frozen. Should be good to go by next week. This week the temps will be in the 50's and the rain will wash the snow away.

    When is your race. We are racing at Rosaryville March 22nd. Way too early to tell what the weather will be like.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    43
    Racing in the March 22nd Cranky Monkey. That race is a little pricey to just throw the $$ away if it doesn't happen / I don't want to ruin my bike in the mud of it. I did the 3 hr option last year and LOVED the trail. Would love to do it again.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    45

    Conditions near Rosaryville

    Wow rosaryville will be ready by next week? I live in Annapolis and usually ride at patapsco and didn't think the trails would be ready for a while. Good to know there is a trail nearby that'll fix my biking withdraw.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    135
    You guys are living in a fantasy land if you think anything is going to be ridable next week.

    End of March we'll be out of the freeze/thaw cycle but chance of a muddy race is pretty high.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudforlunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    490
    The only riding you can do in the mid-atlantic right now is in sub 30 degree temperatures, which is only at dawn right now. This next week is going to be in the 50s during the day, and high 30s at night turning everything into a mud pit. Next week will be a bit colder, but still the only riding you'll be able to do is at dawn. I wouldn't recommend it.

    The race at Rosaryville in March will probably be fine, but there's no way to know for sure until the week or so before.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    43
    Such a tough call, this race goes up in price tomorrow :-/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    43
    Any updates on this trail system? Still haven't pulled the trigger on this race...decisions, decisions....

  11. #11
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,855
    Today's freezing rain isn't gonna help much. =: (
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    84
    Chickadee,

    I would wait until 2-3 days out before pulling trigger if you can, too unpredictible.

    All the local trails are going to be trashed for the next week or so as this latest snow melts off. That said, Rosaryville is largely sand based and drains pretty quickly so if we dry out and no more major storms hit - the course could be in pristine shape in 2 weeks.

    Its just a tough call this time of year to pre-reg for anything around here. I think waiting and spending the extra $10 or $20 bones is worth having a good experience.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    43
    I think I'm calling it and will miss this race for many reasons, such a shame, I love that course. If the weather turns out to be great the weekend of, perhaps I'll head down anyway (could use a little adventure), pre-ride it and spectate.

  14. #14
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,983

    Conditions near Rosaryville

    Nice sunny day today. Got in 2 laps at Rosaryville; the trails were mostly dry and in great shape.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,025
    So how much friggin stupid crappy snow did the trails end up with? I am going to be seriously pissed if this thing doesn't happen.

    Learned my lesson. Not registering for a non-refundable or transferable race in March ever again. Rain date is the 29th and my wife/team mate has to work that weekend, so we will lose our entry fee if they postpone. Awesome.

    Anyone know when they'll make the call the have or postpone the race?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    So how much friggin stupid crappy snow did the trails end up with? I am going to be seriously pissed if this thing doesn't happen.

    Learned my lesson. Not registering for a non-refundable or transferable race in March ever again. Rain date is the 29th and my wife/team mate has to work that weekend, so we will lose our entry fee if they postpone. Awesome.

    Anyone know when they'll make the call the have or postpone the race?
    The promoter just sent out email saying 7 inches of snow is on the
    trails, and that they're meeting at Thursday 2pm to make a go/no go
    decision regarding the race.

Similar Threads

  1. Rosaryville Conditions
    By sternomac in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  2. Trail Conditions - Schaeffer and Rosaryville
    By odyssey12305 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM
  3. Mud pit at Rosaryville!
    By 83stumpjumper in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 12:52 PM
  4. Rosaryville today?
    By Willyg289 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 07:20 AM
  5. Rosaryville Lap Times
    By fueledbymetal in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •