Ride.Recover.Beer.

Complete Loch Raven Trail Loop

Almost 7 full hours of riding, and damn near running out of water, all I can say is WOW! Having never been on the upper trails off Jarettsville Pike, I must say it was worth the ride. Its been a great confidence builder on my overall endurance, and I couldn't of done it without my riding amigo BUNNY!

BTW, does anyone know where a "water well" is located? Was told about it by a fellow rider. Somewhere near a field maybe? Or was he pullin my leg? ha!

I am the owl
    Not sure if there are any water wells although Pot Spring Rd is supposed to be named after a spring in the area, so maybe that is a water source.

In this kind of weather I can carry all the water I need for the Tour de Raven - 100 oz. hydration pack and 2 water bottles. In the heat of summer I'll reload at the Fishing Center on my way over to the Merryman's loop.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    In the heat of summer I'll reload at the Fishing Center on my way over to the Merryman's loop.
    I have a book of local Baltimore hiking and mountain biking trails.
    That book indicates that the Merryman trail is designated as hiking only. Of course I rode it before I got the book, and I honestly thought that was the only trail and it was OK to bike there. I did come across two other mountain bikers on that trail that day. So what's the real deal? Open to mountain biking or just for hiking?

I am the owl
    If it's the book I have, that thing was written a long time ago so most info is probably not current. The question is, what does the book call the Merryman's trail? Probably not what bikers refer to as the Merryman's loop (both sides on the reservoir including the green bridge connector)

Technically the only trails open to MTB's are fire roads and not even all of the fire roads in the reservoir. In practice, all trails are used by MTBers and that's been the situation for at least a decade. There doesn't seem to be any big issue with this, however the creation of new trails (by any user group) does seem to raise problems, as I'm sure you can imagine.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I bought a garmin edge GPS at the beginning of the summer. I need to combine all the maps and post them up here. I'm been on a majority of them. The cool thing about it is that you can overlap your route on a google map.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Awww Thanks Bk!

kevboz
    Jul 2007

loch raven trails

I finally got around to posting them.

Here you go
    http://www.kevboz.com/pictures/Bikes...s/Default.aspx

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Kevboz - That GPS you have is amazing. Would you mind if I asked how much it cost you?

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I got it on ebay for like 279 I think. Some company was selling refurb models.
    Has heart rate monitor, cadence sensor and wheel sensor.

It's a Garmin edge 305
    When I get around to it. I'll post the heart rate chart also with the terrain. That is really cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You can also check out geomans website. Look under the GPS and Lighting forum for geoman. He has some GREAT prices, and is definetely a safer bet than some Ebay sellers. I bought an Edge 305 with Cadence from him and I just got my $75 rebate from garmin in the mail last week.

** UPDATE ** His site is http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...&products_id=1
    His price might have been a bit higher, but it is new instead of refurb, and then there is the rebate till I think the end of this month.
    $276 for an Edge 305 with Heart monitor and cadence. Mine works great but I can't mount the cadence monitor easily because my GF Hi Fi has a sort of oval shaped tubing in the rear assembly. Saving the cadence for a road bike.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 11-05-2007 at 04:17 PM.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos
    You can also check out geomans website. Look under the GPS and Lighting forum for geoman. He has some GREAT prices, and is definetely a safer bet than some Ebay sellers. I bought an Edge 305 with Cadence from him and I just got my $75 rebate from garmin in the mail last week.

** UPDATE ** His site is http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...&products_id=1
    His price might have been a bit higher, but it is new instead of refurb, and then there is the rebate till I think the end of this month.
    $276 for an Edge 305 with Heart monitor and cadence. Mine works great but I can't mount the cadence monitor easily because my GF Hi Fi has a sort of oval shaped tubing in the rear assembly. Saving the cadence for a road bike.
    Thanks for the mention! We appreciate that!

Garmin's $75 Edge 305 rebate runs through November and you have to claim your $75 by the end of December. It's a good deal. Net cost on the Edge 305 HR OR CAD is $160 and for the Edge 305 Bundle (HR + CAD) is $192. Refurbs don't qualify for the rebate.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member

Water Pump

The water pump/spring is on the lower loop by the farms by Sanders corner. It has a cement pad and a hand pump. Have enjoyed it many times. If you all ever need a Garmin use Geoman he is the mack daddy of GPS. Rock da Loch

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

i'm new to loch raven...

Could someone point me to where the other trailheads are? the only one i know about is the Seminary Ave. off of Dulaney Valley Rd. entrance. Thanks!

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I have a map that I made.

http://www.kevboz.com/pictures/Bikes...ah%20Raven.jpg

You can park right where they block it off on Morgan Mill and loch Raven drive on the weekends. Head up the hill on Morgan Mill maybe 100 feet and there is an entrance on the right. You can also ride across the bridge on Loch Raven drive and about 200 yards on the right you'll see an entrance on the right. You'll have to push your bike up this but that will lead you to a lot of the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Kevboz! i'll check that out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kevboz
    I have a map that I made.

http://www.kevboz.com/pictures/Bikes...ah%20Raven.jpg

You can park right where they block it off on Morgan Mill and loch Raven drive on the weekends. Head up the hill on Morgan Mill maybe 100 feet and there is an entrance on the right. You can also ride across the bridge on Loch Raven drive and about 200 yards on the right you'll see an entrance on the right. You'll have to push your bike up this but that will lead you to a lot of the trails.

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    Wow Kev, that's fantastic. Have you done this with other trails, as well?

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I'm probably going to be riding there this weekend also. Let me know if you want to meet up. We are all rookies. Usually me and another guy. We don't do any crazy jumps or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah definitely, that would be cool. i'll PM you with my contact info.

I'm probably going to be riding there this weekend also. Let me know if you want to meet up. We are all rookies. Usually me and another guy. We don't do any crazy jumps or anything like that.

mtbr member

you planning on doing the whole loop? I'd like to tag along if you don't mind.

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    A friend of mine may be doing his first ride on clipless. May ride 10 miles or so. Probably will just Sunday, Unless this raid doesn't amount to anything We may go both days.

PM me for contact info

Members who have read this thread: 0