mtbr member

Carvins Cove, what is the best route?

Some buddies and I will passing through Carvins Cove on our way home from NC. I was wondering if anyone had a preferred route for doing Carvins Cove? We would like to do a 2 or 3 hr ride there and would like to hit the trails in the best direction. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkeg View Post
    Some buddies and I will passing through Carvins Cove on our way home from NC. I was wondering if anyone had a preferred route for doing Carvins Cove? We would like to do a 2 or 3 hr ride there and would like to hit the trails in the best direction. Any help is appreciated.
    For me, with a somewhat AM mindset, the best ride for roughly three hours would be to park at the Bennet Springs Lot, take Hotel trail to Buck and climb/hike up to the fire road. Follow the fire road over to Gauntlet and enjoy the best DH at the cove. At the bottom of Gauntlet admire our lake with water in it for the first time in a year then ride over to Trough for a steep, but short climb back to the fire road. Head to the right on fire road again and descend Hi-dee-ho (my preferred route) or head left to descend Buck. Both good options.

Or ride all the lowers, then do one climb - one suggestion climb Tuck-a-way, hike (or ride) up Jacob's Drop, then climb fire road to Hi-Dee-Ho and descend to parking lot.
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I would second OneSlowBusa's rec (I call it Double Up & Over). It's about 13 miles, a little over 2 hours for me to do with typical lolygagging, less than that if I'm in a hurry. The more hammer-heady folks do it in under 2 hours.. That is the direction I like to do those trails, though there is a jump section on Trough that I usually end up turning around and doing a few times on the way up (I probably end up climbing trough twice). Buck is my favorite downhill out there. A slightly faster (but harder) way to get that done is to climb Hi-Dee-Ho instead of the Brushy Mt Tr. Fire Road.

Also, Four Gordge and Four Gordge Extention are both great trails, and I prefer them going in the direction heading back to the lot (going west).

One way to add this in is to park the Bennet Spring lot, go out the paved road to the beginning of Songbird, go out Songbird, back on Enchanted Forest (the western section), turn left on Tuck-A-Way, go up T-A-W to Kerncliff (the fire road at the top of T-A-W), turn right on Kerncliff and go a few hundred yards and get on 4-Gordge Extension, and take that to where it runs into Brushy Mt Tr (the fire road) then do Double Up & Over. Depending on how much time you have, you can start this by either a) go up Brushy Mt as OneSlowBusa described, or b) continue across the road onto Four Gordge and Climb Hi-Dee-Ho, which ends you up the same place if you took Brushy Mt Tr to the top.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. two more questions: the maps do not show the Four Gorge extention. I am assuming that it goes from where Four Gorge intersects Brushy Mtn trail over to Kerncliff. Is that correct?

Also what is a good route for starting at Bennet Springs and hitting Songbird, Arrowhead, School House and those trails over there. I just want some options for a easier ride if we are worn out from NC.

Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dkeg View Post
    Thanks for the info. two more questions: the maps do not show the Four Gorge extention. I am assuming that it goes from where Four Gorge intersects Brushy Mtn trail over to Kerncliff. Is that correct?
    Yes, that is correct.

Also what is a good route for starting at Bennet Springs and hitting Songbird, Arrowhead, School House and those trails over there. I just want some options for a easier ride if we are worn out from NC.
    A good way to go that starts easy and gives you harder options at the end would be as follows: Take the road out to the gate. Then take Songbird >> left on Happy Valley for ~100 yards >> left onto Arrowhead >> left on Happy Valley and follow for a mile or so >> right on School House >> cross Happy Valley onto Little Bell >> cross Happy Valley onto Enchanted Forest (it's actually a quick right>left jag) >> left on Happy Valley. Follow a few hundred yards >> left on Enchanted Forest (yes, having two different trails with the same name is very confusing, it is a long story) >> left on Tuck-A-Way..

After you cross a big stream on Tuck-A-Way, you will be at the 4-Way intersection of Comet and Tuck-A-Way, and you have two options depending on how much juice you have.

Easier Option: Make a right on Comet, and you will end up on Happy Valley near the gate, and you can take the road back.

Harder (but way better) option: Continue straight on Tuck-A-Way >> at the top make a right on Kerncliff (the fire road / double track) follow a few hundred yards >> left on 4 Gordge Ext >> cross Brushy Mt onto 4 Gordge >> Merge with Hi-Dee-Ho back to lot.

If you want a gps track of this ride I can send it to you.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Oops, just realized I do the loop differently than OneSLowBusa describes. I go Up Hi-Dee-Ho or Brushy Mt (fire road), down Gauntlet, Up Trough, and down Buck.

mtbr member
    Just a matter of personal pref. The buck DH is great as well, but the lower half of Hi-Dee-Ho is my favorite section of DH at the Cove when dry. Either way you'll have a blast.
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    Just a matter of personal pref. The buck DH is great as well, but the lower half of Hi-Dee-Ho is my favorite section of DH at the Cove when dry. Either way you'll have a blast.
    Yeah, having to choose between Buck and HDH is a tough one They are both really killer in their own different ways

I'd rather be riding
    I don't think you can go wrong at the cove, other than climbing buck in the snow and descending hi de ho in the snow on xc race tires. Doh.