Oji
    Jun 2008

Carvin's Cove info for physically challenged rider

Hi everyone,

I've read the Carvin's Cove info post (major kudos to Kapusta and all who contributed). I've never ridden there, but have hiked a bit of the fire road from the reservoir parking lot. I'll be up there over Thanksgiving, and plan on doing some riding with a couple of friends on the Friday of the weekend. None of us are local to Roanoke, and have never ridden the CC trails.

One of my riding buds is a bit disabled temporarily by a totally blown out right ACL. He's scheduled for surgery in December, but has been riding rolling terrain using a knee brace and flat pedals. He's sensible, and will walk anything that looks the least bit like a mine field for his knee.

I'm soliciting comments from folks who have ridden CC as to which trails we might ride so my friend can participate. We're looking for flow with minimal technical challenges for this ride. The Overmountain Victory Trail at Kerr Reservoir in NC is a good example of a trail that would suit his needs quite well. Hills are fine, just nothing sketchy like major rock gardens or other technical features that can't be worked around easily on foot for my friend. We'll save a more technical ride at CC for sometime after his rehab

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cliff

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Take a right out of the lot take the road to gate then left on Songbird (has 1 or 2 small rock gardens only) then turn left take fire road about 0.25 mile then right on Enchanted Forest (a single log crossing only) then cross the fire road take Little Bell then cross fire road to School House (3 creek crossings) then turn around and come back the same way then climb fire road about 0.60 miles to right on Four Gorge. Total distance about 15 miles.
    Use the link for a good map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...06,0.2211&z=12

Oji
    Jun 2008

Thanks!

Mark... Thanks!! Sounds perfect, and I know we'll have a blast doing this.

Much appreciated.

Cliff

mtbr member
    Sounds like Mark covered it. Go easy on the fireroad. My perfectly capable knees start aching on that one. And by the way Mark's directions are from the Bennett Springs parking lot not the boat dock(resevoir). If you were to park at the boat dock, it's about 3 miles of fireroad before you get to Schoolhouse on the left. If this were your chosen path, take the fireroad to left on Schoolhouse, at the end of Schoolhouse go directly across to Little Bell. After Little Bell, right on fireroad, left on Enchanted Forest, follow it to Comet, right on Comet to Fireroad then Songbird....

(Your friend should be ok on the lower part of Comet - could even go left to the bottom of the climb for an out and back. If he can climb some you could do part of Tuckaway, but I'm betting coming back down it will hurt.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_123
    Take a right out of the lot take the road to gate then left on Songbird (has 1 or 2 small rock gardens only) then turn left take fire road about 0.25 mile then right on Enchanted Forest (a single log crossing only) then cross the fire road take Little Bell then cross fire road to School House (3 creek crossings) then turn around and come back the same way then climb fire road about 0.60 miles to right on Four Gorge. Total distance about 15 miles.

That's a sweet map reference. Any way to have all the trail names display without having to click on them individually?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Great map! Thanks. If you don't mind, I'll post a link to in in the Carvin's Cove information thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Now Raining, 11/18/2009 2:38pm

Oji
    Jun 2008
    Does CC close when the trails are wet? If so, how does one access that information for updates?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Now Raining, 11/18/2009 2:38pm
    Boo!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twangcat
    Does CC close when the trails are wet? If so, how does one access that information for updates?
    No, it does not close. They are depending on people's good sense. Last winter/ early spring it did not turn out too good. In my experience, the only time that things get really bad are during the winter freeze/thaw times, when the ground just does not drain well. With the temps right now, things are not so bad after rain except where I mentioned.

Members who have read this thread: 0