mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Carvin's Cove conds

Hey guys,
    I'm hoping to find out the conditions at the Cove.
    Down in Greensboro, we have one trail with the same soil type as the Cove and other than some recent reroutes, its riding really well.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Likely Really Mushy

After tomorrow, it will be a mudbath, I am sure.

Though I am here in C'burg/B'burg area, my yard is gushy right now; anymore rain and I will be wading through my backyard.

Normal CC riders often comment on how well the upper trails drain, but the predicted 2" of rain will be difficult on the trails.

my $.02

mtbr member
    Given the rain that is currently falling, I'd say the Cove is going to be a huge mud hole... It's absolutely pouring and I live ~6 miles from the boat dock...
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the responses.
    How were the conditions before this latest rain?
    Is the upper stuuf and 1000' climb rideable within 48' or so of a rain?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Thanks for the responses.
    How were the conditions before this latest rain?
    Is the upper stuuf and 1000' climb rideable within 48' or so of a rain?
    The upper trails do a whole lot better than the lower trails. There is another thread here dealing with the conditions at the cove. I give an update about the conditions last Tues (just before all this recent sh!t hit us.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...51#post6499351

I imagine the lowers are now even worse, and the uppers are probably about the same, but 1000 ft climb is probably even softer, as well as parts of trough that you would need to walk your bike through the woods to avoid.

It is hard to answer about the effect of rain alone. In the summer, you can ride the uppers during the storm if you want, and the lowers drain pretty well. It is the cold and recent freezing conditions that make it such a mess now. The water does not evaporate, and it does not drain well either because the soil is saturated.

Overall, I'd say right now is about as bad as it gets at CC. I'm pretty liberal in terms of when I will ride there, and even I am avoiding it right now. You could still do the uppers this weekend, but it won't be all that pleasant, especially 1000 ft climb. That said, I may end up doing the uppers myself this coming weekend, as I am going crazy from lack of riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for response......it's what I am loking for.
    Sounds like the place is a mess as ours are.

I'll wait to come up after we've had a week or so of clean weather.......at the rate we're going I'll see you guys in the spring.

Members who have read this thread: 0