mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Canuck really needs to ride, looking for trip suggestions

Hey folks,

Sorry to barge in on your forum, but I was hoping I might be able to get some help with possibly planning a trip. I'm from Canada and have the last week February off, so I was looking to do some riding. I think Virginia is as far south as I am willing to drive, and there seems to be plenty of great trails from what I've gathered from the first page of this forum.

Are there trails which are dry enough to ride right now, and very likely to still be in good shape next week? A few trails not too far from each other would be ideal. Light XC riding, no killer climbs since my geared bike is getting overhauled and I'll be on my singlespeed.

What about accommodations? I was hoping to find a cabin type deal for the week at a reasonable price. Thanks a lot in advance!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner
    Hey folks,

Sorry to barge in on your forum, but I was hoping I might be able to get some help with possibly planning a trip. I'm from Canada and have the last week February off, so I was looking to do some riding. I think Virginia is as far south as I am willing to drive, and there seems to be plenty of great trails from what I've gathered from the first page of this forum.

Are there trails which are dry enough to ride right now, and very likely to still be in good shape next week? A few trails not too far from each other would be ideal. Light XC riding, no killer climbs since my geared bike is getting overhauled and I'll be on my singlespeed.

What about accommodations? I was hoping to find a cabin type deal for the week at a reasonable price. Thanks a lot in advance!
    February is an iffy month in the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains in VA. Could be fine, but could be snow/slush/ice/mud. I can't speak for the flatland to the east.

I would consider going just a little farther to North Carolina. A little better chance of better riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ok, thanks for the input Kapusta. I think I'll try and hold off till spring and go visit some family with my holiday instead. There's defintely some stuff in NC that I need to check out someday though!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner
    Ok, thanks for the input Kapusta. I think I'll try and hold off till spring and go visit some family with my holiday instead. There's defintely some stuff in NC that I need to check out someday though!

The weather is a winter mix through this weekend and some possible rain next week in the Roanoke Blacksburg area with highs in the 40's. Next week will likely be a muddy, cold, and miserable time to ride.

mtbr member
    go to va beach, like i just did. for 65$ a night I had a beachfront room with kitchenette and balcony, hot tub, indoor pool etc... Then drive daily to easy to ride with a ss spots like ipswich, hardwood mills, gatewood, freedom park. Come back, take a hot tub, slug a few and ride on the boardwalk all night if you want, no snow anywhere.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    If you make it to Richmond,Va I can show you around.we have about 5 different trails with in an hour of each other.all trails are XC with some Freeride in them. not much over 3-4 feet high. there is some wild freeride stuff on private land.E-mail me at rcgaryantes@comcast.net. Pocahontas has the most Freeride stuff and easy to hard trails with over 20 miles of trail, then there is buttermilk, and forest hill, right in the heart of Richmond,,Poorfarm about 45 min north and Powhite,about 10 min south of buttermilk.
    Freeridings not a crime