mtbr member
    May 2009

Canaan Valley Recommendations?

What are the best XC trail systems in Canaan Valley if you are there for 1 day, and in moderate shape. I have the canaan valley map, just want to know where to focus on. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I rode most of Plantation Trail and all of the expert loop of the local race course including Moon Rocks and Hoodoo Rocks this past weekend. All the trails were clear and in good shape if a bit wetter than usual. Both of these spots are great and represent some of the best Canaan Valley/Davis area riding.

I tried to ride the Rail Grade trail north from Plantation towards Blackwater Falls State Park on Sunday. That trail is almost lost in places - plenty of blow downs the length of it, left over from Hurricane Sandy I suspect.

spooge is gone!
    Stop at blackwater bikes for trail up dates and you can start your ride from down town Davis. CVI trails fun with more challenge on plantation trail.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for the info, i'll check of Blackwater bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    CVI would be the way to go in my opinion. Stay off of plantation if any moisture comes through, it can get pretty sloppy. If dry i believe it to be a good ride and can be a challenge.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've checked out plantation before and it was pretty washed out, I've heard CVI is good, I will probably go there.

Rolling on 650b
    I ride that area every year with a couple friends. Plantation is great if you like roots and rocks, and its fine even when wet. Rode it in June this year after a couple days of heavy downpours. CVI is okay in a more groomed way. We did a Moon rock, hoodoo loop over to the newish splash dam trails and back. That was a good time. My personal favorite in the area is the loop at Lead Mine. Unfortunately is was closed earlier this year due to blowdowns, but may be open by now. Check with Roger at Blackwater bikes for info.

mtbr member
    What is your Leadmine loop? I did Dorman Ridge and Losh Trails last year. Fun and smooth downhill singletrack with a fireroad climb to start. Not a very long loop though at around 8 miles. Do you have anything longer you ride in that area?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Good write up on Canaan in the latest issue of Bike magazine. Reviewers thought a lot of the terrain was brutal.

Rolling on 650b
    The ride I'm calling Leadmine loop sounds like the same one you ride. Dorman ridge to Losh, about 8 miles. The guidebook I have also lists Maxwell run as a ride on the other side of the Horseshoe rec. area road. I've never ridden that one though. Usually hit the Leadmine loop, some lunch and than a short night ride (or the bar) on a Friday, than do a longer ride on Saturday.

the unvarnished nonsense
    I've ridden Maxwell in the past and its a bit more challenging as it sees a lot less traffic. Just got home from a spontaneous trip to Canaan for the weekend. Foliage was at its peak this weekend. Plantation was overwhelmingly beautiful, and in fantastic condition. Pure bliss. Even ran into (not literally) Joey and Mandi and a large Elkins crew near Firebreak. Managed to get the mud off, but can't seem to lose this silly grin. Lived in Slatyfork and surrounding area for 8 years, but I'd still list Plantation as my favorite trail in the Mountain State.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

song of the saw-whet owl
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I've ridden Maxwell in the past and its a bit more challenging as it sees a lot less traffic. Just got home from a spontaneous trip to Canaan for the weekend. Foliage was at its peak this weekend. Plantation was overwhelmingly beautiful, and in fantastic condition. Pure bliss. Even ran into (not literally) Joey and Mandi and a large Elkins crew near Firebreak. Managed to get the mud off, but can't seem to lose this silly grin. Lived in Slatyfork and surrounding area for 8 years, but I'd still list Plantation as my favorite trail in the Mountain State.

The 16th (and final official) Tour De Lilly was last saturday and we rode most of it and was sweet!
    A dry fall day on plantation is a good as it gets I agree! Makes up for all the wet sloppy days in spring and early summer! Should be good this coming weekend too since yesterday was the only rain in the past few weeks.

Speaking of Canaan, check out the new issue of Bike. We guided those folks around on and off trail for a few days for their 7 page spread on the area. I haven't read it yet, but by their reactions to this small town "mayberry lifestyle" and riding, I would say it has to be very positive in all aspects
    just another piece of chaga

mtbr member
    I have only rode Plantation and enjoyed it. Good mix of difficulty and some very nice views, probably best in mid summer when flowers bloom but maybe now with leaves changing color? Have fun!
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
    The 16th (and final official) Tour De Lilly was last saturday

What did I miss, I have not been up there for a while.