mtbr member

Camp Hilbert Race Series

Any one here's planning on doing the Camp Hilbert Race that's coming up on March 9th in Richmond? I'm planning on racing in the Sport category and was wondering if anyone's had any experience with the trails there.

http://www.runriderace.com/chrs-race-info/
    Last edited by dynamic213; 02-27-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Rider
    I won't be racing this year but I have raced out there the last two years. That course is fast only two really tough climbs with some really cool drops! The weather is not looking great as compared to last years 70+ temps in March, but it will still be awesome! Have fun!
    07 Redline mono9
    97 Specialized Hardrock AX

My blog http://readyforaredline29er.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Yeah it's looking pretty cold according to the forecast, but hopefully the weather will get a little warmer as we get closer to the race date. How long and technical are the two climbs you're talking of? I'm trying to figure out how I should set up my bike and what kind of terrain I'll be dealing with.

Rider
    They run the course both ways so I am not sure which way it will be run, but either way the climbs aren't bad. If you don't get up the climb on your first lap you will the next one once you see the line. Hilbert can be sloppy too if it gets wet. The section near the stream can get ugly but for the most part say 85 to 90 percent is pretty nice and should be fine for the race. Now I'm getting all worked up and will miss being out there! Good luck.
    07 Redline mono9
    97 Specialized Hardrock AX

My blog http://readyforaredline29er.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like I'll be using my hard tail for this course. I'm pretty excited for this first race of the season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I plan to be out there in Sport Category as well. They opened up a clyde cat but I'm 201 this morning and will be under 200 by the 9th. Even if I was 201 I'd still race sport, just doesn't seem fair to the guys that are coming out and weighing in at 250.

Then again, racing against 150 guys is never easy either. Such is life.

From all accounts from last year from my teammates it was a fast a fun course like sumluc said.

mtbr member
    There will be a pre-ride this Sunday out at Hillbert ,go to www.cyclingcentralva.org to get more info on the race and pre-ride.
    Last edited by peeler; 02-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    The race course is run opposite direction every race. ie 1st race clock wise, 2nd race counter clock wise,but I do not know which way the first one will be ?Find out Sunday.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peeler
    There will be a pre-ride this Sunday out at Hillbert ,go to www.cyclingcenrtalva.org to get more info on the race and pre-ride.
    The link isn't working for me...

mtbr member
    Try it now I typed it in wrong, SORRY for any inconveance.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Camp Hilbert Race pre-ride is Sunday from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. About 6 miles/lap so depending on when you start, 2 or 3 laps equals 12 or 18 miles.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Does anybody know if they will allow any pre-riding the day before the race or only today and race day?

mtbr member
    Only today and race day,unless you are a JCC member.
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Another question...If it rains this week, how fast do the trails dry?

mtbr member
    If it rains today and wed. the trails should be fine w/ some small areas that will be wet,but as dry as its been the trails maybe bone dry?
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    This is part of an email I received earlier today:

-------------------------------------------------

Virginia Off Road Series kicks off this weekend with Camp Hilbert #1! Last
    weeks preride saw a huge turnout and a killer course. We wish everyone the
    best of luck and hope the lungs hold up. The competition will be intense!

VORS next event is April 12 with the FORD 1 in Fredericksburg! Konrad and
    crew have a great race in store for you!

If there are any changes for Camp Hilbert, RunRideRace.com will update
    around 5pm on Saturday, March 8. Emails will be sent out to all
    'registered' racers that signed up through RunRideRace.com!
    Freeridings not a crime

mtbr member
    So could this mean there's a chance the race this weekend could be canceled due to the weather?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone have an idea how may folks they expect for Sunday?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So how sloppy will the trails be??? Looks like you had a fair bit of rain this week down there.

Hmmm, maybe a fender would be a good idea?

kizmit10, check this out - http://www.runriderace.com/register-riders/
    Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yup, my fender will come in quite handy :-) Thanks for the Link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

The Race is on!

Just got off the phone with the race director and he says it's a go!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm working just down the road from Camp Hilbert (yes, I'm working on Saturday) and there's still a little rain falling but it's starting to let up. We should be getting some decent winds which will help. Even with the rain we had I'm thinking that course shouldn't be to bad. My son and I have 5+ hours to test it out. Holy Enduro field, 40+ and counting.

Good Luck to all, see you on the trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp Hill Race Email
    Camp Hilbert is a GO!
    Confirmed this morning Sat March 8th. RunRideRace has given the greenlight for Camp Hilbert#1! The race must go on!

Good Luck in the Muck!
    This is my first race - it looks like it should be interesting!

mtbr member

Great race!

Just got back from a 3.5hr drive from CH. All I have to say that it was hell of a fun race! The condition couldn't have been better, though it was at a nippy 33 degrees when the enduro group kicked off.

The only problem I saw was at the finish line, where there weren't enough run off room for the people who's finished their laps to get out of the way of other rides who are still in the race.

Me and another rider next to me was right behind this girl as we were crossing the finish line. As we made that left turn back into the woods (very narrow trail) for another lap, the girl on front of us crashed right into another rider who was just hanging out right in the middle of that trail figuring since he was done. As she went down, the other rider that was beside me didn't have enough time to stop and had to run right over her and her bike. She was pretty shaken up but wasn't hurt I don't think. Aside from that little misfortune, the event was well put together.

mtbr member
    Hey guys - that was me in the collision! I'm totally fine - just had to sit out for a few minutes. I appreciate everyone around me that picked me and my bike up off the ground. Mark Harris from NV Racing - Thanks! - I know it cost you a few minutes. The girl that ran over me totally apologized too. We had been going head to head for the whole lap. I was afraid to really stop and rest for long for fear of not getting back in the race. It may have cost me Lap #8 as I came in 3mins after the cut off. But who wanted to do 8 laps anyway?? Agree - we need to remind folks to pull off the trail especially when the transition area is on top of a hill. Folks coming thru the timer were coming up pretty tired and it's hard to catch your breath, look up, get some water, pass people, etc. all in the same instant! Thanks again for everyone who helped me!

Liza

mtbr member

I survived!

Hey guys - that was me in the collision! I'm totally fine - just had to sit out for a few minutes. I appreciate everyone around me that picked me and my bike up off the ground. Mark Harris from NV Racing - Thanks! - I know it cost you a few minutes. The girl that ran over me totally apologized too. We had been going head to head for the whole lap. I was afraid to really stop and rest for long for fear of not getting back in the race. It may have cost me Lap #8 as I came in 3mins after the cut off. But who wanted to do 8 laps anyway?? Agree - we need to remind folks to pull off the trail especially when the transition area is on top of a hill. Folks coming thru the timer were coming up pretty tired and it's hard to catch your breath, look up, get some water, pass people, etc. all in the same instant! Thanks again for everyone who helped me!

Liza

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that you're alright! It was actually a nice little break since my legs were cramping up really bad by that point.

mtbr member

Good job! Camp Hilbert pics are here!

Here are some pics that my buddy took of the race with his brand new Olympus E3 digital SLR. Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0