mtbr member

Bryce vs Snowshoe???

We have a family style mountain bike trip coming up next week, we were planning on hitting snowshoe for 2 or 3 days and someone recommended Bryce over Snowshoe. I would have thought Snowshoe with blow it out of the water. But I haven't been to either mountain biking. We will have a7 year old with us, but he's a 7 year old that can pull 20 miles. We will also be getting a few other spots during the week.

Any recommendations or opinions?
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    check down the thread list for me asking the same question, 'snowshoe or bryce, or both?'. got some good answers.

I was just at snowshoe and I would not take a seven year old right now. I wouldn't take anyone who doesn't know how to lay off of the brakes and stay loose. there were even a few season pass guys that did some runs and headed home saying that it was just too slick and sketchy. there were several that stayed and rode too, but lots of consistent rain all summer has made most of the trails really unpredictable. fun if you are looking for some extra excitement, but not the right conditions for a family trip.

I see from your picture that you ride in western nc? snowshoe has a few groomer blue trails, but almost everything else (other than the gravel road "greens") is really technical; think black mountain-daniel ridge-farlow gap kind of stuff but add lots of grade, more off camber roots, and rocks. cover all of that with peanut butter mud and you get the idea. it's for real.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bryce is super family friendly man. There is plenty there for the entire crew to have a good day and I rode there Saturday morning at 11 am after a full night of rain, probably over an inch or so. The trails were perfect about an hour in with barely any puddles or mud. They've got it dialed and it holds rain well. Sunday there were many locals there who said they passed up snowshoe that day because they knew snowshoe was a mudfest after rain. Everything they have was open after the rain.

Besides that, I know there are some naysayers out there on the Bryce thing over snowshoe. Its all in what you want to ride in my opinion. 2 completely different mountains/hills.

mtbr member

Re: Bryce vs Snowshoe???

Thanks for the heads up.

We will be heading up on Friday of this week. We will start at Scott Kerr in N Wilksboro for the weekend, then head up to the Harrisburg area, and will prob hit Bryce and save Snowshoe for a kid-less race weekend.

We mainly ride Dupont and Pisgah. We had 22.2" of rain at my house in July. August has been similar. A lot of the trails here ride great in the wet. But this has been the year of the kayak not the year of the bike.

I am concerned about riding somewhere new and not knowing which trails can handle rain. But will look for local beta when we get closer. We also do a ton of trail work and may end up do that instead of riding some days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

We will be heading up on Friday of this week. We will start at Scott Kerr in N Wilksboro for the weekend, then head up to the Harrisburg area, and will prob hit Bryce and save Snowshoe for a kid-less race weekend.

We mainly ride Dupont and Pisgah. We had 22.2" of rain at my house in July. August has been similar. A lot of the trails here ride great in the wet. But this has been the year of the kayak not the year of the bike.

I am concerned about riding somewhere new and not knowing which trails can handle rain. But will look for local beta when we get closer. We also do a ton of trail work and may end up do that instead of riding some days.
    Hey there 2bfluid,

Obviously I'm biased and won't weigh in on the Snowshoe over Bryce stuff. We're definitely different mountains... I would say that our trails are designed very well to hold up over the test of time and conditions. Our goal in design and model was to be able to simply grow the sport of mountain biking and ensure a great experience time and time again. So our beginner trail (Sundowner), is a great warm up, especially if new to downhill. 1.8 miles long, flowy and facilitates good speed mgmt, body posture. Brew Through is my favorite, blue jump track. Every jump can be rolled as you get the feel for it, get as little or as much air as you want with safe landings. Then move from there. Drainage as mentioned on all trails is pretty exceptional, I don't think we've been closed for more than an hour due to precipitation and within a few short hours the trails were tacky and beautiful. Just my opinion of course

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. From a family perspective there's a ton to do and dirt cheap condos to rent. Zip Line and lake are great ways to chill when not riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    We have a family style mountain bike trip coming up next week, we were planning on hitting snowshoe for 2 or 3 days and someone recommended Bryce over Snowshoe. I would have thought Snowshoe with blow it out of the water. But I haven't been to either mountain biking. We will have a7 year old with us, but he's a 7 year old that can pull 20 miles. We will also be getting a few other spots during the week.

Any recommendations or opinions?
    Bryce would be much more family friendly than Snowshoe. I've got a condo in Snowshoe but honestly am not a huge fan of the trails there.

I went to Bryce the week after it opened and got a much more personable experience than at snowshoe. Nicest people I've met at a resort, and I do a lot of snowboarding. Everyone was eager to help and committed to you having a great time. There are less DH trails, but what they do have is a lot more fun, in my opinion, than what Snowshoe has. Like the other poster said, if you're after very technical rocky, rooty, steep stuff then Snowshoe is your place. If you want some technical but more flowy, fast, jumpy trail with plenty of fun features then Bryce is the best bet. Bryce is also more reasonably priced and there's other good stuff for young kids to do around. I always have a better time there, that's all I'm saying. If you're renting any equipment, Bryce has newer, better stuff and a more competent bike staff in my experience.

Oh and I'm not a shill, promise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got a condo in Snowshoe but honestly am not a huge fan of the trails there.
    That has to be the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. Not knocking your opinion, just saying.

If you're renting any equipment, Bryce has newer, better stuff and a more competent bike staff in my experience.
    Snowshoe's fleet is only a year older than Bryce's...

mtbr member

Re: Bryce vs Snowshoe???

We started at Warrior Creek in NC, then stayed at and rode Hungry Mother State Park and ended up base camping in Stokesville. We hit Lookout Mtn, Massanutin (nut'n but rocks, Yeehaa), and Bryce. After that we went back to Warrior Creek for the weekend.

Bryce was a blast. Small but fun and the folks there were nice as they could be. Def a good way to spend most of a day. Some of the trails were like bobsled runs and even the eazy trails were a good time I enjoyed the features, I kinda felt like a kid on a play ground. The jumps at the bottom were neat and bob proof. After all of the rain this summer the place was in great condition.

The Lookout Mtn loop was my favorite of the trails/areas mentioned.

The SBC in Harrisonburg was a huge help, as the group had some fairly big mechanicals. We dealt with multiple people on several occasions and they were ALL top notch. They went out of their way to help us get riding again. Kudos.

I was also impressed with the SVBC on multiple levels. Keep up the good work. You guys are making a big impact and it rides really, really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sounds like a great trip, stoked that everyone enjoyed themselves!

I agree about SBC (who continue to support our shop both with some staff and expertise), even though I do most of my own wrenching the only shop I'll go to for major work is SBC. They have an incredible staff and knowledge beyond any shop I've ever been to.