Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 179

Thread: Bryce 2014

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499

    Bryce 2014

    Hey Bryce, I know you guys are still in the mix of a record snowfall season, but can you give us any idea on a possible opening date? I need to do some planning for the 757 crew! This winter madness is killing me.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  2. #2
    I live to bike
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    According to their brochure, June 22
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  3. #3

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Well there you go, J-Ha got it out!

    Our hope is for May 3rd but depending on snow of course that might get pushed a week. We'll get cracking on new builds mid April.

    We received the first 40 rental bikes last week and built up a Slash for fun, beautiful new version of a pretty darned good bike already. The new one's are 650b wheels and Shimano XT equipped vs. last year's SRAM 7 mix. Session's are the same as last year's version (but new of course). We'll start to build out the fleet and new retail gear in April.

    Carrying some new stuff this year including a decent mix of Troy Lee, wider selection of helmets at all price points. We've signed on as a Leatt dealer but it seems like they've discontinued the braces that we felt were in our ball park ($199 retail), so all of the models are now $299 and up. What do you think, some of you up for that? I can order a few. Just got an amazing deal on 8 Kali Avatar 2 carbon helmets as well, $250-$275 range vs. last year's $350

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cecald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    211
    Hey Bryce - for those of us who are new to park riding . . . are there guides around to do a half day or a few hours of instruction prior to riding the park?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Hey Bryce - for those of us who are new to park riding . . . are there guides around to do a half day or a few hours of instruction prior to riding the park?
    Absolutely, we have a package called "find your bearings" goes at 11, 1, and 3pm. Comes with two hours of instruction for park riding, an all day lift ticket, an all day bike rental (Session or Slash but I like the Session), full face helmet and body protection for $135 so to give you an example and all day lift ticket and rental on a weekend is $125 so you're essentially paying $10 for two hours with a certified guide/instructor.

    New this year as well for experienced riders (coming late June), will be a "Go huck yourself" clinic to teach people how to handle air and man made features. This will be taught by a select few of soon to be certified level 2 instructors (J-Ha, hoping you'll be in )

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Good deal guys. I'm looking forward to another great season out there. Hopefully as things get rolling you can keep us juiced up in this thread with some photos and what not. Of course I will be eyeing FB as well like a little kid. ha!
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  8. #8
    I live to bike
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,262
    May 3rd? That's cool! Why do the brochures I saw while skiing there a few weeks ago say June 22? Can't wait to try it out!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,660
    Looks like the prices increased from 2013. Will Bryce continue to offer discounts on lift tickets for some internet purchases?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    May 3rd? That's cool! Why do the brochures I saw while skiing there a few weeks ago say June 22? Can't wait to try it out!
    You're probably seeing the brochures from last year, that's when we opened. New ones are not out yet.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Looks like the prices increased from 2013. Will Bryce continue to offer discounts on lift tickets for some internet purchases?
    yep they went up a bit (more trails and more features). However insurance on bike rental has gone down, and the new instruction package is cheaper than last year. We're also doing 4 hr and 8 hr tickets vs. last year's full day or after 4pm to make things easier.

    There are still a few discounts available. If you're a part of an association such as IMBA, MORE, SVBC, etc. then prices are reduced by 10%. I don't really plan on doing much discounting online except for perhaps weekday tickets.

    Couple of other options and one HUGE one... If you work for a bike shop, bring a letter from the owner/mgr or pay stub, we give shop staff a larger discount.

    We're launching a promo with Trek dealers starting in May. You can get a coupon for a 50% discount on lift ticket (good any day until the end of July), and all you need to do is buy any Trek or Bontrager product, so even a $7 inner tube would get you one of the coupons.

    Our goal this year is to really drive the park experience amongst people who have never thought of going to a park before, we believe that we have a great spot that once people try will get them back again.

    Hope this helps!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Looking forward to it. When can you start giving us hints on the plans for the new trails?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,660
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the Trek dealer discount, hopefully will include Spokes.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Looking forward to it. When can you start giving us hints on the plans for the new trails?
    Hey TwoTone - I know you saw this in the old thread, but for many others who may have missed it I've copied it below so its documented in the new 2014 thread. Maybe Bryce can fill us in as the work details become clearer



    " Dave from Gravity Logic will be up the first week of April (or so we hope), but for now plans include:

    Changing Screwdriver to make it full top to bottom
    Re-alignment and more features for Car Bomb
    New Amateur Downhill track (skillset in between Car Bomb and Copper Head)
    Beginner Skills course at the bottom for instructors and newbies
    New jumping clinic
    Some new features all around! "
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Looking forward to breaking my new Lenz there.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the Trek dealer discount, hopefully will include Spokes.
    Only if the spokes are made by Bontrager! Basically you would get a coupon with any purchase of a Trek or Bontrager item, i.e. bike, inner tube, arm warmers, whatever so long as it has one of those names on it!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,660
    I meant the LBS chain Spokes, etc. they carry Trek and Specialized

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    126
    Hey, just out of curiosity, if we bring our own bike but something busts, do you guys have an onsite bike shop that might be able to help our, or would be we S.O.L?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtorlando25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Hey, just out of curiosity, if we bring our own bike but something busts, do you guys have an onsite bike shop that might be able to help our, or would be we S.O.L?
    They have some great mechanics on site...not to mention plenty of friendly folks in the parking lot who are always willing to help.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Hey, just out of curiosity, if we bring our own bike but something busts, do you guys have an onsite bike shop that might be able to help our, or would be we S.O.L?
    Yup we have a full service repair shop, tubes, brakes, etc. We can generally get you back up and running same day unless we need order parts (we keep a small inventory of derailleurs, etc but not a ton). It's pretty laid back but we have great mechanics and shop staff!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I meant the LBS chain Spokes, etc. they carry Trek and Specialized
    Whoops, right I should have caught that. I've met with most of the managers at the various locations and they've been really cool about putting out our stuff. Their Trek Reps will be handing out the coupons for us but myself and Doug will continue to make the rounds of all the shops in the region shaking hands, etc as well.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    They have some great mechanics on site...not to mention plenty of friendly folks in the parking lot who are always willing to help.
    Thanks JT! I agree although biased...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J-Ha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    New this year as well for experienced riders (coming late June), will be a "Go huck yourself" clinic to teach people how to handle air and man made features. This will be taught by a select few of soon to be certified level 2 instructors (J-Ha, hoping you'll be in )
    Definitely count me in!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    24
    i'll 3rd that. terrific shop, great people at the shop/rental area. full service and knowledgable. cant miss experience.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    thanks guys!

    FYI for anyone with young ones, just bought 8 Kona Stinky Jr 24's, full suspension, hydraulic discs, 13 inch frame with 24 inch wheels. Also got a few of the Kona Entourage's to try out.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtorlando25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    Also got a few of the Kona Entourage's to try out.
    The perfect Bryce bike IMO. Of course, I may be partial because I ride one

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    well that's why we bought them of course!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6
    Anyone in the winchester or close surrounding areas that ride out at Bryce? New to the area and really would like to get into park riding. But dont know anyone here lol

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Jhdr13, I don't buddy, I am down in Virginia Beach, but I have ridden Bryce a few times by myself and everytime I found someone or a group to hang with. A couple times I even rode with some staffers...all great people. Super chill vibe up there and after a few lift rides up with various people you will surely find someone you can hang with. I always worry about being up there and getting hurt though of course if I am by myself so I try not to do it often...that may be what you are getting at.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Jhdr13, I don't buddy, I am down in Virginia Beach, but I have ridden Bryce a few times by myself and everytime I found someone or a group to hang with. A couple times I even rode with some staffers...all great people. Super chill vibe up there and after a few lift rides up with various people you will surely find someone you can hang with. I always worry about being up there and getting hurt though of course if I am by myself so I try not to do it often...that may be what you are getting at.
    I don't want to speak for Bryce and say this is a regular thing, but one of the things that impressed me was when I face planted and went to the ER, there was another guy there from Bryce before me- he had come alone.

    We ended up catching up to each other at the Walmart to fill out the prescriptions for pain meds. Anyway to the point, the gentlemen my buddy and I had been talking to earlier, whom I think is the head of the program, had picked him up from the ER, drove him to Walmart and was taking him back to Bryce.

    That impressed the hell out of me, it was way above and beyond and why my friend and I plan to continue to go to Bryce and spend our money there.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhdr13 View Post
    Anyone in the winchester or close surrounding areas that ride out at Bryce? New to the area and really would like to get into park riding. But dont know anyone here lol
    I am right up the road in Martinsburg. just let me know if you meet up and head down there.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Mid April update for us Bryce? LOL
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Just to keep everyone up to speed, Bryce proposed an expected opening on the 10th of May. Saweeet.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I don't want to speak for Bryce and say this is a regular thing, but one of the things that impressed me was when I face planted and went to the ER, there was another guy there from Bryce before me- he had come alone.

    We ended up catching up to each other at the Walmart to fill out the prescriptions for pain meds. Anyway to the point, the gentlemen my buddy and I had been talking to earlier, whom I think is the head of the program, had picked him up from the ER, drove him to Walmart and was taking him back to Bryce.

    That impressed the hell out of me, it was way above and beyond and why my friend and I plan to continue to go to Bryce and spend our money there.
    That's super cool! Makes me wanna visit. When I broke my back, neck, elbow and wrist at Diablo all I got was stares and giggles. I really wanted to check out the spot where I wrecked to try and figure out what happened. I was so pissed about the shitty attitudes that day I never returned. This was in 2006 so maybe those guys have grown up.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    126
    Since the topic of injuries and riding up there alone have cropped up, I have a silly but practical question. This will be my first season riding at the resort, and I will probably be alone most of my visits. Supposing an injury were to occur, and I need to go to the hospital, what happens to my bike? Can it be stored under lock and key at the resort in the meantime?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Since the topic of injuries and riding up there alone have cropped up, I have a silly but practical question. This will be my first season riding at the resort, and I will probably be alone most of my visits. Supposing an injury were to occur, and I need to go to the hospital, what happens to my bike? Can it be stored under lock and key at the resort in the meantime?
    I'm sure someone who works at the park will take care of your bike. I was riding alone during the week. That was stupid but I was used to Snowshoe and Whistler where the parks never a ghost town. Anyway if you crash badly alone the last thing you'll worry about is your bike. After I woke up I walked for about 1/4 to a 1/2 mile before the trail maintenance guys spotted me. They were super helpful getting me back to the gear shop. They also grabbed my wife when she arrived and put my bike in our truck. The guys also gave directions to Morristown NJ when plans changed from "its not that bad let's go in the ambo to " ummmm ya let's call in a helicopter.

    I'm not trying to scare or preach.. just telling you what happened. I think the best advice is work your way up and have the bike to match your skills. I was riding a Faith 3 and hitting stunts like the deck drop. The bikes beginner suspension had alot to do with my accident. It's hard to overshoot landings and ride away when the bikes junk.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    I'm sure someone who works at the park will take care of your bike. I was riding alone during the week. That was stupid but I was used to Snowshoe and Whistler where the parks never a ghost town. Anyway if you crash badly alone the last thing you'll worry about is your bike. After I woke up I walked for about 1/4 to a 1/2 mile before the trail maintenance guys spotted me. They were super helpful getting me back to the gear shop. They also grabbed my wife when she arrived and put my bike in our truck. The guys also gave directions to Morristown NJ when plans changed from "its not that bad let's go in the ambo to " ummmm ya let's call in a helicopter.

    I'm not trying to scare or preach.. just telling you what happened. I think the best advice is work your way up and have the bike to match your skills. I was riding a Faith 3 and hitting stunts like the deck drop. The bikes beginner suspension had alot to do with my accident. It's hard to overshoot landings and ride away when the bikes junk.
    Thanks for the info. I've got a 2014 Uzzi with a '14 36 180 Van RC2 and a '14 DHX RC4 on the rear, I think I'm covered on that front, haha. I plan on starting with the beginner trails and working my way up from there. I could probably be fine on the just the intermediates from the get go, but I'll save myself a potential ER trip, leave my ego behind, and start small I'll be buying a full face as well just for the purposes of riding at this park.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've got a 2014 Uzzi with a '14 36 180 Van RC2 and a '14 DHX RC4 on the rear, I think I'm covered on that front, haha. I plan on starting with the beginner trails and working my way up from there. I could probably be fine on the just the intermediates from the get go, but I'll save myself a potential ER trip, leave my ego behind, and start small I'll be buying a full face as well just for the purposes of riding at this park.
    I rode every trail at Bryce on a TBc, you have plenty of bike for the place.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Yup, in my opinion as well as many others I've spoken with, Bryce is maximum fun in the 4-6 inch range (and I am just fine with that). You'll be just fine on that Uzzi. LOL
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Yup, in my opinion as well as many others I've spoken with, Bryce is maximum fun in the 4-6 inch range (and I am just fine with that). You'll be just fine on that Uzzi. LOL
    I have no doubt my bike can handle the park. My concern was what i do with my bike in case of injury and I am there alone.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    I have no doubt my bike can handle the park. My concern was what i do with my bike in case of injury and I am there alone.

    Their staff, from Rob down are great people. I am positive your ride would be well taken care of in the case of Emergency.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Their staff, from Rob down are great people. I am positive your ride would be well taken care of in the case of Emergency.
    Hi guys,

    Sorry for my absence, been a little bonkers (and truth be told I'm also a road rider and have upped my riding for an upcoming race).

    At any rate to address some topics... I appreciate all the kind words, we don't ever want someone to drive themselves who are not able and I think all of us try to do what's right to help our guests out (and yep that's included the odd ER pick up!)

    When this has happened we will hold the bike in our shop along with any gear until arrangements can be made, no worries. As mentioned we try to be proactive (we have an INCREDIBLE bike patrol) but at the same time maintain a good vibe.

    For those of you that are new to our park, it is true that most are just fine with their own bikes but just in case we rent some really nice eye candy and maintain them well. We also rent/sell gear alone, we obviously highly recommend body protection and full face helmets, in fact we include it with every bike rental. We try to get stuff that breathes well but I can't tell you how many people may have a simple abrasion that ended their day that never would have happened with a titan jacket or full face!

    Still working on being open by the 10th but I will say that with the late winter new trails and features probably won't be open until a couple of weeks later. Gravity Logic and 402 Trails get here this Friday night so that we can get moving. In the meantime we've been brushing and compacting the current network which weathered the winter beautifully!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    I must admit I really want to get my son there on a Stinky, but after my ER trip, it's going to be a hard sell with mom. Did you get some smaller FF helmets to go with the Stinkys?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I must admit I really want to get my son there on a Stinky, but after my ER trip, it's going to be a hard sell with mom. Did you get some smaller FF helmets to go with the Stinkys?
    Ha, I hear you! Just tell her that statistically you were still well in the minority , yup we got some smaller xs helmets for the younger ones along with some good youth gloves which was a challenge last year

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Atomik Carbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,365
    You really need to consider opening on monday May 19th. Just up the road in Pennsylvania, the Dirtfest will be hosting their mtn bike festivsl and over 2,500 people are attending. All are comng by car. I am sure many would stop by on their way home if they are headed south.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    yup we got some smaller xs helmets for the younger ones along with some good youth gloves which was a challenge last year
    If you haven't already, I recommend picking up some youth motocross chest protectors too. The chest protector saved my son a few times last year.

    My son and I our looking forward to opening day and another great season of riding.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    126
    Is there anywhere to leave your bike safely while paying a visit to the restaurant/bar area?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NoVA_JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    221
    It's been a long time and several bikes ago that I've done downhill riding like at Bryce. My bike should be good for the mountain suspension wise but I'm running clipless. Am I asking for trouble or should I get some platforms for this type of riding?

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneSlowBusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman121 View Post
    Is there anywhere to leave your bike safely while paying a visit to the restaurant/bar area?
    There are numerous racks right outside the resteraunt where you could attach a simple cable lock, or the main parking area is just steps away from the resteraunt/pro shop. Last year we just parked our bikes along the porch railing at the deck and sat within view. Not saying anywhere is crime proof- but I certainly didn't feel the need to keep an eye on things the way I do with equipment at snowshoe (simply do to sheer size of crowds).
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB View Post
    It's been a long time and several bikes ago that I've done downhill riding like at Bryce. My bike should be good for the mountain suspension wise but I'm running clipless. Am I asking for trouble or should I get some platforms for this type of riding?
    That's a personal thing and no one can tell you. I personally went back to flats for all my riding.

    That said if I were still running clips, I'd probably swap out to flats.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    You really need to consider opening on monday May 19th. Just up the road in Pennsylvania, the Dirtfest will be hosting their mtn bike festivsl and over 2,500 people are attending. All are comng by car. I am sure many would stop by on their way home if they are headed south.

    Hi Atomik,

    We'd be happy to if you can get a decent sized group together and let us know in advance!

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by dc40 View Post
    If you haven't already, I recommend picking up some youth motocross chest protectors too. The chest protector saved my son a few times last year.

    My son and I our looking forward to opening day and another great season of riding.
    Hi DC, yes we have received some.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12
    im planing on making this trip up from Richmond solo, should be a fun first visit. also considering renting a full suspension bike as well. do you guys have clipless pedals on any of the bikes? also do the helmet rentals have gopro mounts?

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpt View Post
    im planing on making this trip up from Richmond solo, should be a fun first visit. also considering renting a full suspension bike as well. do you guys have clipless pedals on any of the bikes? also do the helmet rentals have gopro mounts?
    We sometimes have a few Shimano clueless hanging around to borrow but I would suggest you bring your own. Most of our helmets have gopro mounts on them and if for some reason the one you rent doesn't we'll put one on. We also sell/rent the cameras and various attachments, etc.

    We have you covered!

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    We sometimes have a few Shimano clueless hanging around to borrow but I would suggest you bring your own. Most of our helmets have gopro mounts on them and if for some reason the one you rent doesn't we'll put one on. We also sell/rent the cameras and various attachments, etc.

    We have you covered!

    ok thanks, i will be sure to bring my own pedals then. i know you guys have full suspension bikes for rent but are any of them 27.5 or 29ers?

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpt View Post
    ok thanks, i will be sure to bring my own pedals then. i know you guys have full suspension bikes for rent but are any of them 27.5 or 29ers?
    Pretty sure the new fleet is 27.5 man.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    I spy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bryce 2014-image.jpg  

    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpt View Post
    ok thanks, i will be sure to bring my own pedals then. i know you guys have full suspension bikes for rent but are any of them 27.5 or 29ers?
    The Trek Session 8 (Full Downhill bike) is a 26 inch wheel
    Session 8 - Trek Bicycle

    The New Slash 8 is a 27.5 (650b)
    Slash 8 27.5/650b - Trek Bicycle

    So now you have the best of both worlds!

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shortbus08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    22
    I will be making a trip here, hopefully a couple times this year.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    203
    We had great times last year at Bryce. Staff was universally great. Not a single day with a single grump. Obviously well psyched to get back on it later this month. But wanted to ask BryceMtn a question: If I skipped the chairlift and rode the road to the top of the hill every time, would I still be required to have the same full price lift ticket?

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    But wanted to ask BryceMtn a question: If I skipped the chairlift and rode the road to the top of the hill every time, would I still be required to have the same full price lift ticket?
    I'm not 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure this is frowned upon.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Hey guys, opening is delayed per FB until the 17th. Sounds like some great work is going on up there on the trails though!
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtorlando25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I spy...
    If that's the turn on Snakebite that I think it is. SWEET!!!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Hey guys, just keeping things updated, especially for those not on FB. Looks like the hours and such are posted for sure, along with a new link I've posted below describing some new stuff...

    Bryce Resort News Feed - Bryce Resort
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    From 402 trails FB page...more "I spy..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    We had great times last year at Bryce. Staff was universally great. Not a single day with a single grump. Obviously well psyched to get back on it later this month. But wanted to ask BryceMtn a question: If I skipped the chairlift and rode the road to the top of the hill every time, would I still be required to have the same full price lift ticket?

    Hi there,

    yep you would still be required to purchase a ticket to access the trails sorry

    Sorry as well for not posting earlier but yes we have been delayed due to lift maintenance work. Trails are looking beautiful. The small c-wall that some pics have shown is part of a re-alignment of Carbomb, some other really nice changes. It's going to ride like we've added 4 trails

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    From 402 trails FB page...more "I spy..."
    Just finished a walk through of some new areas. Brew Threw (Intermediate jump track), is looking stunning. Brad really did an incredible job of getting it ready for the season. Both wooden features that you see on Chuch's pics are from the new alignment on Carbomb. There's an absolute ton more, kudo's to Gravity Logic carpenter "Conrad". Some will be open next weekend some ongoing. For those of you who are solid black diamond riders I think Carbomb and the new DH trail (Pickle Back) are going to be the new stars of the show. For those of us who like the flowy, tight blue trails the additions to Snakebite and Screwdriver are absolutely phenomenal.

    I'll be doing another last walk/ride through with the guys on Wednesday and will try to snap some pics to get you through opening!

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Hi again, Went through yesterday and took some pics. Trails are shaping up nicely. Ton of work done so far.

    See pics here:
    https://www.facebook.com/BryceResort

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    154
    and the new DH trail (Pickle Back)
    So, will somebody be at the bottom waiting to hand you a shot of whiskey and pickle brine?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    So, will somebody be at the bottom waiting to hand you a shot of whiskey and pickle brine?
    Absolutely! After all, we'll need to baptize the new trail accordingly... well maybe in the bar anyway

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cecald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    211

    Bryce 2014

    I'll be there Saturday - looking forward to the first trip!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Im heading here from Hagerstown Md this weekend...anyone from northern md/pa going?

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Crew of 4 heading up to ride on Sunday. Stooooooked.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    267
    I'm going to try and make it up Saturday morning from the Baltimore area.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    157
    The boy and I will be heading up sunday from martinsburg.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cecald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    211
    Wanted to just post a Thank You to all employees at Bryce. I was there last Saturday for the season opening, and it was my 1st time in a bike park. Everyone there was ultra friendly and welcoming, and I really appreciated Hayden's patience throughout our morning runs. Also, I'll have to try and make it back soon to redeem myself on that jump below the chair lift - despite looking at it all day, complete forgot it wasn't a table when I decided to scrub speed, and nearly went face first into the middle.

    Anyways - appreciate the easy check in and bike rental, the great lesson from Hayden, and everyone's easygoing attitude. Also, big thanks to the guys at the top hustling all day to get our bikes off the lift. Next time I'll try and bring my wife too. Cheers you guys!

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Wanted to just post a Thank You to all employees at Bryce. I was there last Saturday for the season opening, and it was my 1st time in a bike park. Everyone there was ultra friendly and welcoming, and I really appreciated Hayden's patience throughout our morning runs. Also, I'll have to try and make it back soon to redeem myself on that jump below the chair lift - despite looking at it all day, complete forgot it wasn't a table when I decided to scrub speed, and nearly went face first into the middle.

    Anyways - appreciate the easy check in and bike rental, the great lesson from Hayden, and everyone's easygoing attitude. Also, big thanks to the guys at the top hustling all day to get our bikes off the lift. Next time I'll try and bring my wife too. Cheers you guys!
    Great at to hear and thanks so much! We're fortunate to have such great staff with passionate riders and people like Hayden (also a good patroller and certified instructor). Along with helping to support the resort in summer we are really striving to help build Mtn Biking in the region and think that the design and style of instruction will accomplish this. I'm stoked that you had a good time and hope you'll be back!!

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneSlowBusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    154
    I think I have posted this somewhere on this board before but your staff really does warrant commendation for their friendliness and positive attitude, even when grabbing bikes off the lift in the middle of summer. In four trips to the mountain last year I did not have one interaction with an employee of anykind (even non bikepark staff) that did not treat me and my group like family.
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    agreed and thanks again!

    I will make sure to forward these posts on to our dept heads as well!

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Anyone going to Bryce next week? I was thinking about going, but am sketched out to ride alone when I've never done park riding. Full disclosure, I probably will top out on the intermediate stuff.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Tok, you are on a troy right? Where do you live man? We are headed there tomorrow.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Tok, you are on a troy right? Where do you live man? We are headed there tomorrow.
    Yup, on a troy. I'm down in Roanoke. That timing stinks. I'm working through Monday. Keep me posted when you're planning on coming back. I work 7 days on/ 7 off, so I could easily do sometime in the middle of the week. It'd be sweet to meet up.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Heck of a day today, hope you all had a great time!

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    Heck of a day today, hope you all had a great time!
    Definitely a great day of riding, loved all the new additions!!! The boy had a great time too.

    Bryce 2014-bryce.jpg

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Tok, you are on a troy right? Where do you live man? We are headed there tomorrow.
    How was the ride today up at Bryce?

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    499
    Awe man, I've got to stop and meet you and little guy the next time. I've seen yall a few times on the mountain. He was doing awesome!

    Bryce did it right man. The new features at the bottom are all a blast and can be taken fairly slow or at speed for those who want to fly through them. They flow really well and its nice to have three separate things at the end of most runs to take advantage of on every run.

    Carbomb and Screwdriver were just on point. The new work to Carbomb (addition of a few new features) makes that the trail of the mountain in my opinion. Unfortunately we waited until the last run of the day to peg the new wooden double/step up. Felt like I never left the ground. Again, well built.

    Brew Threw is iced up nicely and better lipped than last year which was real nice.

    The new Pickle trail is pretty fun at the top and we didn't hit the road gap (yet). The middle section is fun and the end is pretty damn sketch for my crew. I don't know man, we just don't enjoy the death grip breaking on those sections. We love the drops and step up stuff, but the death grip braking while trying not to fall down the off camber steepness seems like more work for me than fun. We did ride every trail but seemed to stay on Carbomb, screwdriver and Brew most of the day.

    It wasn't overly busy, but you can tell that the weekends this year are going to bring some lift lines for sure. Hopefully the additional business this year will help us get to that every other chair bike lift scenario we all want! LOL

    Tokarsky, we'll keep in touch buddy! The new Troy was a freakin blast. Just way more playful and fun overall. She performed flawlessly and enjoyed a few gawkers in the lift line as well...always nice.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Absolutely if we get the business we will be going every second chair next year (racks are $1500 each), so keep spreading the word amongst your non-riding buddies!

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Interested in getting certified as a bike instructor? We will be bringing in Terra Method from Whistler BC to teach their level 1 course (This would allow the instructor to teach beginners through intermediates, up to getting air time). This course is a requirement to teach at Bryce as well as Aspen, Winter Park, and Whistler. It is also a recognized certification at Snowshoe and most other bike parks. We are hosting this on Saturday June 7th and Sunday June 8th, both days required. Cost is $200 (compared to IMBA at over $800). AND if we end up hiring you on call I'll even reimburse 50% at the end of the season. Let me know if your interested.
    As well we'll be hosting the Level 2 from June 9-13 it's a 4 day course and is intended to teach expert riders how to handle big air and man made features. Pre-req is level 1. Jarrod Hamm, I know it's late notice but if you're interested I'll happily pay your way.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    624
    Always wanted to take one of these courses. Wish I was in the area.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    89
    @brycemtn, sent you a PM re: the course!

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by WillN View Post
    @brycemtn, sent you a PM re: the course!
    Will, response sent!

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,024
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    We are hosting this on Saturday June 7th and Sunday June 8th,
    AGAIN, with the no advanced notice. Do you guys really only plan these things a couple days out?

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    AGAIN, with the no advanced notice. Do you guys really only plan these things a couple days out?
    Hi Joules,

    yes unfortunately one of the downsides of being so small is that we have to work within other company schedules. The cost of these courses is extremely expensive and unlike the larger resorts pass the cost onto the guest, I choose to keep it reasonable. But unfortunately as a result I sometimes get told within one week "hey were going to be in West Virginia are you interested?" And that helps me get a better price.

    hopefully as we grow, we can partner with another resort like snowshoe and offer one course at one facility share the costs and get more people.

    winter Park in Colorado is a great example of this where they bring in multiple coaches and train anyone interested for steamboats Keystone or Winter Park. They charge the candidate a decent amount and even make money off the program.

    but for now we're in the position that we are and I'm sorry for the last-minute announcement.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    157
    Super excited to be hitting Bryce for the first time this weekend. Quick question about tires.

    I'll be rolling on a 130mm 29er FS setup that typically sees more XC-oriented trails (mostly Fountainhead and surrounding trails). It is setup with 29x2.2 Ikons front and back. It that "enough tire" for the beginner and intermediate trails? Do I need more traction at speed? First time on a lift and am over-thinking equipment choices.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    Hey there, looking forward to having you!

    You'll be fine, we have plenty of people riding 29'ers here. once you get into the twisty sections of Snakebite those big wheels of yours will seem tight but still a ton of fun and some people even prefer it. I've done Carbomb on a 29'er and I'd give myself a moderate intermediate capability, just watch your speed.

    have fun, and remember that if you need protective gear that you can rent that as well. Definitely recommend a full face helmet, knee, elbow, etc. Personally I wear the full body armor, it breathes pretty well and even when simply brushing up against a tree or something has served me well.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Super excited to be hitting Bryce for the first time this weekend. Quick question about tires.

    I'll be rolling on a 130mm 29er FS setup that typically sees more XC-oriented trails (mostly Fountainhead and surrounding trails). It is setup with 29x2.2 Ikons front and back. It that "enough tire" for the beginner and intermediate trails? Do I need more traction at speed? First time on a lift and am over-thinking equipment choices.
    More than enough. I rode my Tallboy there twice. Every trail with 2.3 Purgatorys which run small on front and 2.1 ground controls on rear. As mentioned, the first few times through some of the tighter turns took a little to get used to them, but after first few runs my speed picked up through them.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 06-13-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    157

    Bryce 2014

    Thanks, Guys. That helps a lot. One less thing to worry about. I love tubeless, but hate changing tires and dealing with Stan's goo.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    140
    New feature on Car Bomb! Thumbs up!

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    145
    thanks! Which one the drop at the very bottom by the tubing hill?

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceMtn View Post
    thanks! Which one the drop at the very bottom by the tubing hill?
    Yeah…the "gopher jump", or so I've heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bryce vs Snowshoe???
    By 2bfluid in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 06:20 AM
  2. Snowshoe or Bryce...or both?
    By MtnMan1 in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
  3. So tell me about Cedar city to Bryce...
    By Whason in forum Utah
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 06:30 AM
  4. MTB in Bryce in March?
    By tittiot in forum Utah
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
  5. Comeon Bryce! You can do it!
    By Silver_Slug in forum Arizona
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •