Thread: Brandywine ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Brandywine ride

I was wondering if anyone has a trail map or link to the Brandywine Creek State Park and the Woodlawn Trustees trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I won't be needing any info on Brandywine due to the fact that I will no longer be riding there. I had my car window broken out and all my mountain bike gear stolen today. This is the 2nd time that I've had a problem in that area with my car. I had car a stolen about a half a mile down the road. Funny thing is I saw a State Trooper and a Park Ranger busy handing out tickets to people walking dogs without a leash. Feals great to know that I should have no fear of a dog running loose in the park but who knows if my car will be where I left it parked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sorry to here about your stuff getting stolen.
    What lot were you parked in? I have been riding there for 10 years and have never had a problem.
    As far as maps go, I haven't really seen anything for Woodlawn Trustees area but there is a map of the Brandywine side available here: http://www.destateparks.com/bcsp/Bra...Park%20map.pdf

Some of the Brandywine trails are closed for bikes though so becareful if you decide to go back.

Hoopy Frood
    Wow. Where were you parked? I'd like to know so I don't suffer the same fate.

I've been riding there for a couple of years without any problems. I was there on Saturday for about two hours. I was parked in one of the Woodlawn lots, though, instead of the Brandywine lot.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was parked at Woodlawn Rd. and Thompson Bridge Rd. The small parking lot that will only hold about 4 cars. I had a car stolen from behind the Red Lobster about 5 years ago. It has to be a very bad area for crime. I won't be back....That's for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I usually park down at the big dirt lot right on the river. I figure there is usually more people around down there and I'm less likely to have anything stolen while I am riding. I drive a jeep and have left it with the top off for several hours at a time.
    Sorry to hear people getting robbed down there.
    Did you report the incidents?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

That is bad news!

I ride there regurlarly and have never had a problem. I park at a completely different location though. Behind the Jewish Community Center on Garden on Eden Road (off of 202 south). This parking lot dunps you right out on the Woodlawn trustees side. Great trails.

Anyone else who rides here often? I met up with a couple guys there once who were riding big hit bikes (one was a demo8/9) and one of the bikes had a 888 on it. Don;t remember their names, and would like to ride with them agian.

Baller/Biker

Not a bad place to Ride at all

Huckster
    You caught a nightmare of a deal at Brandywine. i've never had anyone tell me they were robbed or had a car broken into. In fact We rode one afternoon for around 3 hours and left a cell phone on the ground next to the car along with one pair off NEW Flip Flops (Nikes). When we returned they were in the spot we left them. I hope who ever got ya is caught doing somthing else cause we all have very nice racks on our cars not to mention we have all left camaras in the cars or cell phones and other Bike related items that could add up to quite a bit if taken On another note I love these trails and will ride them until I cant pedal any longer.

By the way we park behind the resturants in the Hotel parking lot right at the trial head..

mtbr member

Brandywine Riders!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I have to chime in here; because this is the one trail that I consistently ride. I ride with Street Pro often (6 years), and like he said we have never had a problem. If you decide to change your mind about B-Wine try parking at the Courtyard parking area. I would advise all riders to make sure there is nothing on the seats that might trigger a break-in.
    We should also keep an eye out for anything suspicious since this is home for a lot of people. How we do that??

 Always speak to others hanging out in the area
     Ask if they are going out for the 1st time
     Invite them to ride with you or vise versa
     Punch them in the damn Mouth if you catch them breaking in!!!!!
     Then call the police!!!

If you’re not comfortable with the punch, simply call the police, which might be the smarter choice anyway. I know my gang is not that smart, me included!!!

mtbr member
    That really sucks. Since these worthless low lifes will take anythihng I usually leave the truck unlocked with NOTHING of value inside. I've heard that a lot of those areas are watched for people taking off on a ride or walk or whatever. It's happened to me in the past. Like Vincent Vega says. "It be worth them doin it if you could just walk up and catch em in the act." or something like that. F*****er's

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    old thread...but,instead of brandywine,spend a little extra time driving,and role down to whiteclay/middle run.if you wanna go a little further then that,and are looking for a long long smooth xc ride,go to fairhill.i mean looking at what is within an hr,i just dont think it worth spending time at brandywine...yes theres good stuff there,but the other 2 choices i think r much better.
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Baller/Biker

Fair Hill yes Middle run not so sure

Quote Originally Posted by dd13
    old thread...but,instead of brandywine,spend a little extra time driving,and role down to whiteclay/middle run.if you wanna go a little further then that,and are looking for a long long smooth xc ride,go to fairhill.i mean looking at what is within an hr,i just dont think it worth spending time at brandywine...yes theres good stuff there,but the other 2 choices i think r much better.
    I think Fair Hill would be better all around but Middle run has no hills..lots of twisty single track to get you going but no lung busters or any reason to stop and rest. Brandywine has it all in a 20 mile package. We have a 15 mile loop that requires an Oxygen tank 70% through. Middle run is flat for the most part and I have to say some of the best kept trails in the area. (luv Middle run)

mtbr member
    Middle Run is a real nice ride, but like StreetPro said, you won’t find the climbs. I love it down there because you can stay in one gear the entire time, and you find yourself riding much faster then at Brandywine.
    Brandywine is my home trail though. You can snatch 20 miles easy, if you know your loops.
    Fair Hills is in MD, Great ride. If you can spare another 45 min on 95 South, Go for it.
    Last edited by aries14; 10-01-2006 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can anyone suggest a good loop to try at Brandywine inculding where to park? I am somewhat new to mountain biking and spend all my time in White Clay/ Middle Run. Thanks for the input guys

Baller/Biker

Nice Loops?

If you want a nice technical ride..park behind the Court Yard Hotels off of 202. Take the trail head into the woods about 40 feet and look to your left for a entry into a technical section over the rock barriers bordering the trail head. You can ride this to your left as you decend into the trail. (section is very rocky with a few stream crossings and one or two nice climbs)

If your looking for more flat riding you could follow the same trail but dont bear left...keep straight past the horses into the trail leading towards the ranger stations. This is the fun stuff if you like fast riding.. Stay clear of the fire road (2 miles in) keep to your left and you will be on a trail system with a good amount of singel track and log crossings.

You want hills? Follow the trail from the same location as stated earlier and keep straight but this time head towards the fireroads and bear right on it, from here you will past the ranger station and cross a street onto a short blacktop sidewalk. Take it up and to your right were you will meet you first climb. At the top you keep riding to your right and out of the woods on to the singel track leading across a short field and back into the woods. This will place you onto a down hill back onto the fireroad and out to the street. Cross and follow the path to your next hill climb, keep right all the way the the top, catch your breath and bear left into the woods and to another lung buster of a hill. From here you will be on the Hypoint side of the trail and lots of looping trails are in the area. good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the info, I will definitley be giving that a shot!

Baller/Biker
    There is a Monday night ride that leaves at 6:00pm sharp most weeks. You will need lights for this one. I dont do this ride becasue of other duties with the family but my brother has and says there are lots of other loops this group knows about that I didn't mention here. Good luck with it... let me know what you think of Brandywine.

Pabst Blue Ribbon lover
    Oct 2006
    I usually ride to the Brandywine area, right from home. I've had my sh#t stolen down on the Brandywine while I was fishing. I'm right down Naaman's, so it's only about 3-4 miles.
    "I am the devil. And I'm here to do the devil's work"

Members who have read this thread: 0