Formerly of Kent

Blacksburg Trails, Roads, Teams, Group Rides?

My lovely fiancee has just accepted an offer to attend Virginia Tech for her MS/PhD, and I'd like to get some info about the riding scene there. I've lived all over the place in the US (OR, IL, CO, GA, NY), but never in the mid-Atlantic. I don't know if I've ever even set foot in VA, really.

I'm currently in AFG, but stationed in upstate NY. When I get home, I'll be taking a good long period of leave/vacation down there, and eventually move down there when I resign from active duty.

I'll be looking to do cross country riding/racing, some Enduro racing, and racing on the road as well. I love riding and racing bikes, really.

Popular trails, road and MTB group rides, strava links, etc.; anything you can throw at me will be appreciated. I know there is a VT cycling team; I'll probably check them out, too, for route and group ride information.

What about racing teams in the area? Are there teams that have involvement in both? As of 2010, I had a Cat1 and "Pro" license on the road and dirt, respectively, in Oregon, but I'm guessing I'll have problems getting those to translate over to USA Cycling. I would like to return to racing and riding at a high level, with people who enjoy the same.

V/R,

Le Duke
    Last edited by Le Duke; 04-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My lovely fiancee has just accepted an offer to attend Virginia Tech for her MS/PhD. I've lived all over the place in the US (OR, IL, CO, GA, NY), but never in the mid-Atlantic, and I don't know if I've ever even set foot in VA.

I'm currently in AFG, but stationed in upstate NY. When I get home, I'll be taking a good long period of leave/vacation down there, and eventually move down there when I resign from active duty.

I'll be looking to do cross country riding/racing, some Enduro racing, and racing on the road as well. I love riding and racing bikes.

Popular trails, road and MTB group rides, strava links, etc.; anything you can throw at me will be appreciated. I know there is a VT cycling team; I'll probably check them out, too, for route information.

What about racing teams in the area? Are there teams that have involvement in both? As of 2010, I had a Cat1 and "Pro" license on the road and dirt, respectively, in Oregon, but I'm guessing I'll have problems getting those to translate over to USA Cycling. I would like to return to racing at a high level, with people who enjoy the same.

V/R,

Le Duke
    Welcome to the area. You should have plenty to keep you busy. Pandapas Pond will be your local trail system, with Carvins Cove just down the road. Don't race, so I can't help you there - but plenty of folks do in the area. East coasters is a good place to start with as they have a shop in Blacksburg and Roanoke, and have some organized rides as well.
    Cycling Links - East Coasters Bike Shops
    RIMBA (Roanoke IMBA) is a good place to hook up with like minded individuals.

Your most local club: NRVBA :: New River Valley Bicycle Association
    Blue Ridge Gravity is also a very active group in the downhill - free ride side of things. Back country riding in this area is great too if you like things on the wild side. Thousands of acres of national forest in the area to keep you entertained and occasionally lost. I have not heard of any enduros in the area yet, but that is probably just a matter of time. Thinking there might be one forming in North Carolina. Have fun.
    Last edited by CraigCreekRider; 04-10-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/CraigCreekRider
    Its Jake - From State Farm. What are you wearing?

Formerly of Kent
    What sort of backcountry riding is available? It looks like the Jefferson National Forest could have some nice trails, in addition to the Pandapas Pond system, but I don't know.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Robert has been putting some big painful routes together for those that can handle the miles and climbing. Virginia Endurance Series: 4.7.13 Double Dawg Dare | FREE Event #3 in Virginia's Mountain Biking Endurance Series They are a bit much for me.
    Between Bluefield and Harrisonburg there are endless possibilities for big backcountry rides. I will see if I can dig up a few ride reports later.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    A few ride reports of some local rides, Douthat is a little further out but well worth the drive.

Fort Lewis Mountain near Salem
    A ride on Fort Lewis Mountain

Dragons Tale, race is actually this weekend
    Dragons Back and Tale Ride

Douthat State Park and surrounding national forest
    Middle Mountain Fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Since you mentioned Ft. Lewis, I thought I'd just point out that tomorrow starts spring gobbler season.

Turkey

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Regarding Ft Lewis: Also keep in mind that the Fire Road access to the top from the Forest Acre side is now closed to bikes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is that the fire road people used to take from the elementary school?

What's the new recommended route around Ft Lewis?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmh2282 View Post
    Is that the fire road people used to take from the elementary school?

What's the new recommended route around Ft Lewis?
    I think you either have to climb Big Bad Wolf or Rocky Top from the Salem side. Or you could impress your friends by climbing the Elevator Shaft.