mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bike Line Spring XC Fair Hill race for an eight year old

My 8 year old son is interested in doing the Bike Line Spring XC race this April. Does anyone know/think that this would be a good first race for a youngster? We are not worried about the distance, just wondering about the terrain. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

check out the del valley trail spinners site for info.

there is a kids specific event....do not reccomend being on the trail with adults under race conditions.

Novice / 1st Time Racers and Kids Race

MASS Racers: This is the time to encourage your spouses, friends, kids and neighbors to try racing on a course set up for 1st timers. The course is fun but challenging for newer riders. If your kids are moving up from the Kids Race but not quite ready to race a more technical course have them try the 1st time racer Novice race.

The ever popular kid’s race with tee shirts, ribbons and some prizes will be held on a short course for kids from “training wheels” to “ready for Novice class”. The kids race will be held ”mid-day” so expert, sport and beginner racers can bring their family and friends and watch/help them race for fun. This race is free, but all riders must register along with a parent or Guardian. Ribbons / prizes (plus Tee Shirts to all who enter).
    Last edited by jomissa; 02-26-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: sarcasam removed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The spring race is not hosted by DTS (Trail Spinners) only the Fall event. This event is hosted by BikeLine of Newark. Feel free to call them and discuss their intent and details. If you feel they can ride the distance of the "first time racer" loop then I'd say try it out. Will you be shadowing the rider? If not I'd suggest it, since you will be there to warn others attempting to overtake/pass. Nothing worse then giving your child a bad taste of sandbaggers. Best of Luck!

Smarter Than He Looks
    There are two Junior classes. 13-15 and Under 13. I don't know if there's a minimum age. I do know that the terrain for this race is about the least technical of any of the races in the series.

What Jomissa was talking about above is the Fair Hill Classic held in July; which has not only a Novice Race but also several Kids' races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A little more information. The Bike Line Spring FH race for Beginner Under 12 is a 1 lap race and under 12 starts last. It shouldn't be a problem racing with adults but an adult should ride behind on the first race. The adult should understand the start time for the next class (likely a really large and fast Sport category) and be sure the 8 year old is off the course one way or the other before being overtaken. As Race Director for the July Fair Hill Classic we see very few kids this age racing. Most would do about a 4 mile loop as part of our Kids Race. The Spring Race is at least 7mi. and more difficult. The best way to know for sure is to pre-ride the course. If it takes your child more than an hour to an hour fifteen minutes they may not finish before being overtaken by the sport class. Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

mtbr member
    Fair Hill isn't technical at all. Pretty flat and smooth. I would definitely ride there with your son a few times before the race if you haven't already.