Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    I just hope that whatever they have planned for the black loop, they cut out this "ramp" nonsense on features and just make proper doubles/tables/drops/etc. I know ramps like this one on the drop and the ones on old Shockabilly are meant to make it seem more beginner friendly, but all they've done is just made things more sketchy in a bad way.
    I've made the same comment previously on MORE (this feature was discussed here and here). I think they're trying to skirt the line between beginner friendly and advanced, and the issue is that they make the obstacle easy to roll, but kinda dangerous if you ratchet up the speed and aren't ready for the drop. From what I hear, almost everyone who has crashed and been hurt on that obstacle has been people hitting it a bit fast, but leaning forward like they wanted to roll it (which results in an unexpected launch into a front wheel landing and endo, especially if you mix panic braking in there somewhere).

mtbr member
    I totally agree about the ramps on Shockabilly. I HATEHATEHATE them! They post plenty of signs that it is an advanced trail feature, so beginners simply should not attempt it (I walked it several times when I first started riding Fountainhead a few years ago). Plus, the ramps actually make it MORE difficult in some ways. Before the ramps, you didn't have to aim so carefully. The first time I rode the new version, I caught just the edge of the last ramp with speed and almost bit it. I think the ramps make it more dangerous, if anything. I hope MORE people read this and that the "improvements" to the Black Trail will truly be advanced features. No more uphill BMX track, please. Laurel Hills and Wakefield already offer plenty of beginner options in the area. It will suck if advanced riders in Northern VA have to drive to Gambrill or Elizabeth Furnace to get something challenging.

End of rant. All this being said, I haven't launched the big ramp yet and I agree that it should just be a drop.

Bicycle Radical
    For all of those who have a strong opinion on the outcome of the new work being done at Fountainhead, there is a comment period open for you to voice your concerns:

http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/F...pubcomment.pdf

I am in the process of writing my suggestions and I would welcome all who enjoy the park to state theirs as well.

The comment period ends on December 5.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that, scorhedearth. I send my comments in yesterday via the link on Fountainhead Project's Facebook page. Let's hope they listen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    I totally agree about the ramps on Shockabilly. I HATEHATEHATE them! They post plenty of signs that it is an advanced trail feature, so beginners simply should not attempt it (I walked it several times when I first started riding Fountainhead a few years ago). Plus, the ramps actually make it MORE difficult in some ways. Before the ramps, you didn't have to aim so carefully. The first time I rode the new version, I caught just the edge of the last ramp with speed and almost bit it. I think the ramps make it more dangerous, if anything. I hope MORE people read this and that the "improvements" to the Black Trail will truly be advanced features. No more uphill BMX track, please. Laurel Hills and Wakefield already offer plenty of beginner options in the area. It will suck if advanced riders in Northern VA have to drive to Gambrill or Elizabeth Furnace to get something challenging.

End of rant. All this being said, I haven't launched the big ramp yet and I agree that it should just be a drop.
    The reason why they had to put those ramps in at SOB is because some idiot tore out the old waterbars. I, too, am not a fan of those ramps, and it really sucks when someone ruins it for the rest of us who actually know how to handle a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The reason why they had to put those ramps in at SOB is because some idiot tore out the old waterbars. I, too, am not a fan of those ramps, and it really sucks when someone ruins it for the rest of us who actually know how to handle a bike.
    Yup, the d-bag(s) who ripped them out ruined one of the better spots in the whole place but that's not a reason for why the ramps had to be put there. Those down-ramps are doing nothing for sustainability. Adding on to what Jabberwocky said...the only point is as an attempt to dumb down that section to keep it inline with the blue trail and the whole "stacked" trail system.

mtbr member
    I agree. It seems like the wooden boards dug into the hill (like the drops on other parts of the trail) would be enough for sustainability purposes. I wish they would take the ramps out and keep SOB an expert section like the many warning signs say. SAB is a perfectly good alternative, so PLEASE don't dumb down the rest of the trail in the "improvements" to the Black trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Make sure you submit your comments for the next phase of development on the Black loop. This link shows a map of the proposed places to make changes.

http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/F...ent.pdf#page=4

Note the green-dashed and solid-red trail segments where relocation or closure is recommended. It looks like there will be more trail miles under the new plan, but at the expense of the last couple of difficult sections in the park including Lung Buster

Here is FAMBE's map of the current Fountainhead for comparison with the proposed changes:

http://www.fambe.org/maps/fountainhe...tion%20001.pdf

You can send your comments about these changes to NVRPA here by December 7th (I did):
    plandev@nvrpa.org

Helmetless Crasher
    Tom's Taco at Fountain Head - YouTube

Another example of launching the jump with aplomb.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm going to have to head out to Fountainhead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Tom's Taco at Fountain Head - YouTube

Another example of launching the jump with aplomb.
    Does anyone here know what rims he had? Because I don't ever wanna buy the same rims haha

He would have been fine had it not been for his back rim giving out.

I did the "Salamander Drop" 3x...the first was more a bunny hop and my back tire cased the ramp but no crash. 2nd time I landed but almost crashed....3rd time I wiped out hard and ended up eating dirt. Luckily nothing broken on me or the bike hehe

I don't think I'll attempt it again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidspin View Post
    does anyone here know what rims he had? Because i don't ever wanna buy the same rims haha.
    29"

mtbr member
    I came around the corner towards the ramp pretty quick, and didn't even see the bypass till It was behind me... Then came a pretty good pucker moment as I went off the ramp... LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    Does anyone here know what rims he had? Because I don't ever wanna buy the same rims haha
    Alex DP20, and the rider weighs #240.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks like he came down hard on his seatpost too...ouch.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    I came around the corner towards the ramp pretty quick, and didn't even see the bypass till It was behind me... Then came a pretty good pucker moment as I went off the ramp... LOL
    Kudos to you! You hit dat sumbetch with wild abandon and stuck the landing.

I am certainly no expert on these things, and have never launched off Salamander like that, but with a little more shock absorption from the arms/legs, I bet the wheel would have survived.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    I just hope that whatever they have planned for the black loop, they cut out this "ramp" nonsense on features and just make proper doubles/tables/drops/etc. I know ramps like this one on the drop and the ones on old Shockabilly are meant to make it seem more beginner friendly, but all they've done is just made things more sketchy in a bad way.
    May be a liability issue. Ramps make it less of a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2