mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Best tires for VA?

I moved back to VA after being gone for 15 years (Navy).... what's the best tires for the woods nowadays? The semi-slick Maxxis CrossMark XC that came on my cannodale are terrible and won't go over logs or through mud. I'm old and date back to the dart/smoke of the 90's and for the last 10 years I've been running Panaracer Fire XC pros and I see they're still around. Anything better?
    2008 Cannondale Rush SL 4
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Zimm, can you give us an idea of where in VA you do the majority of your riding? That might help a bit since there's a pretty wide variety of stuff around...too much for me to make assumptions. In addition, what bike are you riding and what size wheels?

I live in VB and ride mostly in Williamsburg, with a few trips west for gravity stuff. I'm on a 29 Stumpy FSR and have settled on a 2.3 Specialized Purgatory up front with a 2.1 Specialized Ground Control rear. I'm running tubeless with about 28 lbs of pressures. Its a little overkill for the local stuff, but keeps me happy on the gravity rides as well. For me, its a solid set up for just about anywhere I want to go the next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 1 mile from the Wakefield riding area and Fountainhead is nearby. Lots of woods, singletrack, mud, rocks, roots, very short but steep elevation changes/transitions. 26" wheels.

Currently about to pull the trigger on some kenda Nevegals in the "stick-e" compound. I don't care about short tread life, as I don't get out much with two small kids at home.

It'll be weird going away from Panaracer- I've used them for year. But my last 3 sets of Fire XC's have fallen apart from sitting- the rubber doesn't hold up and cracks.
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Nevegals are beast mode tires if that is what you are looking for. However, that comes with a slow roll and a bit of weight. They can also be a challenge for tubeless mounting. I have a few friends that love them, but just wanted to throw those items out there for consideration. If you rock em, report back what you think! Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's what my research shows as well. I'm a slow rider anyway, so sounds perfect. I just hate trying to grind up a hill and have the rear slip on a root and have to get going again.
    2005 Felt F75 roadie
    1993 Stumpjumper FS

mtbr member
    Hey Zimm. I'm in your area, living just between Fountainhead and Meadowood, and ride most of the same trails you do. I had a set of Nevegals on my 26" wheel bike and really liked them. They hooked up pretty well on just about everything around here, but did roll a little slowly. Now big deal if you're not racing so... Never tried to run them tubeless, so can't really speak to that. I replaced the bike with a 29er at the beginning of the summer and am currently running the Purg/GC combo that was mentioned above, only with both tires in a 2.3 size. I'm really happy with these tires as they aren't terribly heavy (I have the control version), roll nicely and set up tubeless rather painlessly. Overall, I'd say you really can't go wrong with them for our area.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Virginia terrain varies so much. But if you ride muddy, rooty trails you can't go wrong with Nevegals. They hook up great (but roll slow). I have been running a Nevegal on front and Maxxis Ignitor on rear for a while. I have a set of Schwalbes for the next round, folks around here like them a lot. So many choices.............

Bos
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm liking Specialized Captain Control for front and Ground Control for rear in NoVA mud and roots. I'm running them tubeless on a 29er Epic Comp. They roll fairly fast too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ardents have been awesome to me, i go 2.4 on the front, and the 2.25 on the back, i know a lot of people that do 2.25 ardent on the front and 2.1 crossmark on the back as well, for a little faster setup.

the hans dampf has been pretty popular around here as well, in addition to the conti trail king

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I like the Hans Dampf (trail star) front and ardent 2.25 in the rear. Seems to work well for me... grippy up front, fast rolling on the rear.

two wheel whore
    I cursed at my Racing Ralph rear at Fountainhead this week. It's getting rooty out there. I run Hans Dampf and Chunky Monkey on my bikes in the front. Also running Chunky Monkey in the rear on one of my bikes. IMO they roll a little faster than the Nevegals, with as much grip.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Best tires for VA?

Tires are as much about the rider as the actual terrain. I'm in the western part of the state and I'm really liking the Specialized Butcher Control up front and the Purgatory Control in the rear. I am seeing the Butcher more and more around here lately.
    Last edited by kapusta; 12-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I run tubeless nobby nics on my "fountainhead" bike, a steel 26" HT. coming from nevegals, I am very happy with the NNs. a good compromise of grip/weight/roll resistance. people claim they wear out fast but fountainhead and wakefield are not rocky and mine are holding up well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This spring/summer I ran a 2.35 Neve on the front and a 2.1 Slant 6 (both tubeless) in the rear on my 26" HT. I was very happy with the combo... hooked up nicely and held firm @ Fountainhead on dry to damp conditions (they're good about keeping the trail maintained and close it after rain, so it never really gets too sloppy).

Shaeffer's Farm gets pretty slippery after the rain - the roots are like big 'ol frozen pipes and slick as hell! I'd switch out the Slant 6 and run a Conti 2.2 Trail King in the rear - it worked really well for me.

Recently picked up a 27.5 with a High Roller/Ardent combo (tubeless) that hooked up well in the rooty stuff, but the HR didn't feel as stable hitting turns at speed - like it was on the verge of washing out. But then again, I'm not as confident on the bike (5 yrs on the HT vs. 3 mths on the 27.5), so take my Maxxis experience with a grain of salt.
    "one good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've been really pleased with the 2.2" WTB Wolverines I picked up at Performance for $25 a pop. Hard to beat for the price. I ride mainly in southern Fairfax County - Meadowood, Wakefield, Laurel Hill, CCT, a little Fountainhead for good measure. The Wolverines handle the loose-over-hardpack at Meadowood and Laurel Hill really well without totally sucking in the muddy/rootiness at Wakefield. They'll pack up a bit in the mud, but not nearly as bad as other tires I've used. I'd love to try the On One tires - Chunky Monkey/Smorgesboard. Maybe next time I make an order from On One big enough to get the free shipping.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c_hatfield View Post
    This spring/summer I ran a 2.35 Neve on the front and a 2.1 Slant 6 (both tubeless) in the rear on my 26" HT. I was very happy with the combo... hooked up nicely and held firm @ Fountainhead on dry to damp conditions (they're good about keeping the trail maintained and close it after rain, so it never really gets too sloppy).

Shaeffer's Farm gets pretty slippery after the rain - the roots are like big 'ol frozen pipes and slick as hell! I'd switch out the Slant 6 and run a Conti 2.2 Trail King in the rear - it worked really well for me.

Recently picked up a 27.5 with a High Roller/Ardent combo (tubeless) that hooked up well in the rooty stuff, but the HR didn't feel as stable hitting turns at speed - like it was on the verge of washing out. But then again, I'm not as confident on the bike (5 yrs on the HT vs. 3 mths on the 27.5), so take my Maxxis experience with a grain of salt.
    I think the High Roller and Ardent are going to need to be leaned more aggressively than the Nevegal to get the most bite out of them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Check out the Bontrager XR3 or even XR4 upfront. Otherwise the Specialized Ground Control rear and Purg's up front are great. During college (riding trails west of Blacksburg, VA), I'd run my rear tire backwards when things got muddy or there were lots of leaves.

Like you, I think I was riding 2.1 Dart/Smoke's back then.

If you ride a mix of mud, roots and rocks, the WTB Bronson might be worth a look. Don't hook up well enough on the hardpack and loose over hard we have out here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Tires are as much about the rider as the actual terrain.
    Enough said but I'll say more anyway.

Everyone I spoke to a year ago gave me the wrong advice on tire selection (for me personally). Mostly trying to convince me I need big knobby tires. What has made the most difference to me is tire pressure, not the size of the knobs

Personally, I like low profile XC tires with pressure around 28-32 range. I've learned I'm a XC...point A to point B as fast as I can guy. Which is not impressive by the way! I'm in it for the health benefits so I try to push hard for that reason.

I ride Fredericksburg, Quantico, and Fairfax trails mostly and I weigh 180 LBS.

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011
    I just started to run a Maxxis combo. I put a 2.3 Ikon up front and an 2.1 Ardent in the rear (29er FS). So far I have been impressed with the Ikon on the front. It has hooked up very well in just about anything. The Ardent in the rear is Doctor Jeckyl and Mr. hide for me. The Ardent loves to climb and roll, and has good straight line traction. I feel like it breaks loose a little too soon for me in the corners. But all in all, the rubber compound is super stick and seams to do well in all conditions. I normally ride Patapsco, go about 195 lbs, and run about 28 psi up front, and 30 PSI rear, tubeless. I do agree, letting some air out of tires can make a huge difference. My 29er came with some junk WTB Prowler SLs. They stunk, but turning the back one around, and letting air out, made a world of difference.

So I rode this combo in the mud 2 weeks ago, and frozen ground this past week. Worked great on the frozen (like it was hard pack). In the mud they did very well also. The knobs cleared very fast, once out of the mud. There were two times, where the Ptap clay clogged me up so bad I had to stop to clean the derailers, and mud away from the frame. Once out of the mud, and on dirt, the tires cleaned themselves right away.
    Last edited by craigpool; 01-02-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added information
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos