mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Best place to rent and ride around DC?

I'll be visiting DC next week and was trying to find a nice MTB trail with a bike shop nearby with rentals. I'm staying downtown for work and hope to get a ride in afterwork one day. Ideally, I'd like to rent a nice FS 29er and ride it from the shop to the trailhead.

Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

Trail Prospector
    Check MORE's website, where to ride.
    Where to Ride - MORE Forums
    Unsure about rentals/demo's.. check The Bike Lane, Spoke's, Hub, Bikenetic.
    Riding in town is limited to Fort Dupont trails, around 10 mi. out & back.
    Get out of town to early to beat traffic (3:15), and hit Rosaryville (MD) - fast flow - easy, Fountainhead (VA) - fast, fast - more challenge, or Patapsco - big network easy to bumble around.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I really can't think of any place that fits that description. At least not on the Virginia side of the river. Maybe in MD. That's funny; there are plenty of shops next to the paved bike paths, but not the mountain bike trails. Maybe its because the mbt trails tend to be in parks that are either off the beaten path (Fountainhead, Meadowood) or nestled in the burbs away from shopping areas (Wakefield, Laurel Hill). The bike shops are all in the urban areas and big shopping centers.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies. That is how it is in Tampa as well. Got spoiled when I visited Austin a few months back and rented a bike a Bicycle Sport Shop and rode a great trail on the Barton Creek Greenbelt near downtown.

Guess I'll have to get my friend I work with to put the bikes in the car and drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I can make a recommendation... Fountainhead is widely considered the best trail in NOVA, however...its also kind of a PITA to get to if you're starting in the District and can't go in the middle of the day when there's no traffic. Meadowood (South Branch Loop - the purple trail on the map) is much closer and there's alternate routes to get there (I-95, Rte1, GW Parkway) so you can avoid the worst traffic. The main loop is fairly tame - rolling and fun, but tame - HOWEVER, they just opened a freeride section in the middle of the loop with rollers, banked turns and jumps that is pretty awesome. You could catch some big air if you really gun it.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

I ended up renting a Kona FS from Big Wheel bikes -- it was older, but in good working condition -- in Bethesda. We put the bikes in the trunk and drove about 25 mins to Schaeffer Farms. The trail was beautiful and exactly what I'm looking for when I'm on a different bike and out of Florida. Fast and flowy, with elevation and nice scenery. I only wish I had more time to explore every trail out there, but riding through the farm fields was unlike any other trail I've ridden.

Thanks again, you guys are very lucky to have the trails that you do.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, but you just scratched the tip of the iceberg insofar as DC area riding!

Yes, I agree we are very lucky fwiw