mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Belle Isle in Richmond, VA - skills park

Have been to this spot before with my wife and daughters but have never taken a bike there. I did today and I love that place....the track around the island is nice but there are some really nice trails above the beaten path (some pretty hairy)...I could have stayed there all day. They also just added a skills section to the park....check out the video here....

Richmond dedicates mountain bike course on Belle Isle | Richmond Times-Dispatch

mtbr member
    That skills park is pretty nice; all really low-risk but fun features, and I really like the use... or re-use of stone from old buildings/bridges/whatever it came from. That curved skinny is pretty unique.

My only gripe is the landing at the top of the drops is way too small, making it nearly impossible to get properly lined up, particularly the right-most drop (when looking at them from above). Worse still: the last time I was there, people were just standing, hanging out on that tiny platform, blocking the whole feature. I got some of the worst stink-eye ever when I asked if anyone was going to hit any of the drops, and to please move if not - no one said a word, nor moved an inch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just rode there Monday (yesterday), I had a blast. I have ridden 5 trails in 6 days in the Richmond area and I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of trails here. I live in Hawaii and we don't have near as many features to our trails.
    I will definitely miss riding the trails here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, Belle Isle is nice for many reasons. As you mentioned, there are some cool trails on top of the island if you know where to look. Not a lot of miles but definitely fun and it's an easy connect to the the Northbank, Buttermilk, and Forest Hills trails. The skills park is a great addition, and rumor has it there are plans for skills park expansion.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Buttermilk is an awesome trail system, even more so for one being in the middle of a big city. I haven't been to the skillz park yet, can't wait (I live in DC).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like 10 minutes from there, I'm new to MTB'ing so i'll have to hit it up