Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Beginners looking to explore Patapsco some more

Well myself and another buddy have recently taken up mtb, we have been riding in patapsco a bit. I know we are missing quite a bit of the more fun flowy trails, or good loops. Can anyone recommend something for us, or possibly want to meet up for a slow/casual paced ride.....We both have Trek 29er hardtails. We have been frequently going in at the 195 park and ride and taking soapstone in. I would be happy to shoot out my cell or email to anyone interested.....Thanks Greg

The more the merrier, our schedules rotate so something usually works to schedule something

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you been down vineyard yet? Have you entered from the college side? How much of orange have you ridden? I love the back end of orange before it runs into the 4 way at waterlog.

We need a mtbr service that pairs people up with other like minded people.

ASL
    Hobbies
    Work
    Languages
    Do you rag on your friends and can you take it back?

mtbr member
    I've ridden with the meetup.com group and they do a ride there almost every Saturday. In my experience, it's best to go there with people who know their way around, at least the first few times. I went there with a buddy on my own a couple of times and we didn't really know where to go, so our riding experience was not good. The meetup group usually puts in from the college side.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well I'm 26 male from Anne Arundel county. I work in corrections. I am heavily into photography. I am very easy going and all for ragging on each other, can def take it. I speak English.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffie7 View Post
    Have you been down vineyard yet? Have you entered from the college side? How much of orange have you ridden? I love the back end of orange before it runs into the 4 way at waterlog.

ASL
    Hobbies
    Work
    Languages
    I have been down vineyard. I usually take soapstone down then go up next to the restrooms. Then follow the road till I can pick up another trail that leads to the top of vineyard.

I believe I have hit most of the orange one at one point or another. I am having trouble connecting and making a nice loop. I have been struggling on most of the steep long uphills and end up hiking the bike. I know I am missing a lot. I use the mountain bike pro app from runtastic. Ill see of I can link some of the rides I've done.

mtbr member
    MORE and meetup have rides out there pretty regularly. Seems like about the only way to schedule rides these days, everyone being so busy and not knowing schedules more than a day or 2 out.

I'm planning on heading out there tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. You're welcome to join. PM me if you like.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry OP for a slight thread jack but....

Would anyone be down for a newbie ride Sunday at Patapsco? My GF and I are new and would like to run with some folks that don't mind leading, giving advice, talking ish, etc.

ASL
    Hobbies
    Work
    Languages
    There is a thread like that on the area sportbike website, "Adopt a newb joint"

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    MORE and meetup have rides out there pretty regularly. Seems like about the only way to schedule rides these days, everyone being so busy and not knowing schedules more than a day or 2 out.

I'm planning on heading out there tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. You're welcome to join. PM me if you like.
    I appreciate the invite. I however just dropped of my bike off at the shop I have a remote lockout installed. I'm not sure when I will get it back. Thanks though

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We will most likely ride Saturday if not Saturday, maybe Sunday.

Maybe we can get a larger group to ride.

Who is down for Saturday and who is down for Sunday?

mtbr member
    May 2013

I could most likely do a ride after 4 in the evening either day, as long as I have my bike back

mtbr member
    We will most likely ride Saturday if not Saturday, maybe Sunday.

Maybe we can get a larger group to ride.

Who is down for Saturday and who is down for Sunday?
    I'd be down for Saturday. Earlier in the day would be better for me, particularly since it's starting to get hot. Meetup group might still schedule something.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We are looking at early to beat the heat.

However as it sits now the people I'm going with are more advanced. More advanced as in they wont die midway through the ride and walk half of the ride.

Our normal rides are 8-12 miles depending how rough of trails we take.

mtbr member
    I'm up to that type of ride. I do a 10-12mi mtb ride 3 times a week this time of year. I'm only a "beginner" in terms of not knowing Patapsco well.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride with Jeffie and anywhere between 1 and 5 others regularly at Patapsco. I know Avalon and the Howard County side well. I've ridden at McKeldin also. I don't know that infamous thru trail loop yet

I ride weekday mornings, afternoons and usually Saturday or Sunday. I'm going out for a ride in a bit after I finish up some work (self employeed)

To the OP and the guy with his GF, send me a PM. My fiancée is pretty into riding at this point it would be nice to have another female for her sake lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm working on the other female rider. Give me another year

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's a good intro ride. Not on the MORE calendar yet but it will eventually get posted up. A few weeks away - June 15.

https://www.facebook.com/events/144316979085920/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You may want to look at Rockburn. It is off of Rt 100. Rockburn Skills Park - Home
    Last edited by ducrider45; 05-30-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add link

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    I ride with Jeffie and anywhere between 1 and 5 others regularly at Patapsco. I know Avalon and the Howard County side well. I've ridden at McKeldin also. I don't know that infamous thru trail loop yet

I ride weekday mornings, afternoons and usually Saturday or Sunday. I'm going out for a ride in a bit after I finish up some work (self employeed)

To the OP and the guy with his GF, send me a PM. My fiancée is pretty into riding at this point it would be nice to have another female for her sake lol.
    PM incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by ducrider45 View Post
    You may want to look at Rockburn. It is off of Rt 100. Rockburn Skills Park - Home
    I've looked at that. If Patapsco doesn't work out, we will more than likely head there.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm S.O.L for Saturday, as my bike won't be out of the shop until that afternoon. Maybe another time!
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What's it in the shop for? The Salsa?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    What's it in the shop for? The Salsa?
    Lots of small stuff. Replace a small suspension bearing, check for a couple of "creaks", overall checkup of bike before my upcoming trip to NC. Shouldn't take too long, but they are really backed up.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Haven't replied to your pm since I've been at work, however looks like I don't need to.

Maybe next week.

mtbr member
    Aviation Velo and MORE sponsor newbie rides out there. Departure from Rockburn Branch Skills Park, monthly. I know the trails there pretty well. I use them to do suspension set up for clients. Tons of fun stuff but so many turns.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Check out meetup.com group "The Washington DC/MD/VA Mountain Bike Meetup Group". Currently there is a new rider meetup and a beginner/intermediate meetup posted for Patapsco for this weekend. My friend Pete leads the beg/int ride and he's friendly, patient, and all around awesome (don't tell him I said so; he likes to pretend he's a badass). Anyhow, maybe I will get back to Patapsco one of these days- would be nice to meet some other girl riders, too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyri View Post
    Check out meetup.com group "The Washington DC/MD/VA Mountain Bike Meetup Group". Currently there is a new rider meetup and a beginner/intermediate meetup posted for Patapsco for this weekend. My friend Pete leads the beg/int ride and he's friendly, patient, and all around awesome (don't tell him I said so; he likes to pretend he's a badass). Anyhow, maybe I will get back to Patapsco one of these days- would be nice to meet some other girl riders, too...
    I would do that ride, but my bike will still be in the shop. I rode once with the meetup group there and they are really nice folks. They're doing a ride on Sunday in Frederick that I'm joining. I've been trying to get my wife to come along on the meetup rides, so maybe she'll consider it in the future if there are some other ladies on board!
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast