mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Beauty Trail at Pandapas Pond?

Can someone please help me find this trail. I saw a map somewhere on the internet and thought it was off of Poverty Creek but now I can't find that map anymore and after riding the entirety of Poverty Creek trail today I couldn't find it. I know the trail is unmarked but have read that it should be obvious.

mtbr member
    Beauty and Beast? Man they were fun back in the day. Tough to find, but there were plenty of "social" trails heading down from the mtn back towards the main Pond trails. Easier fping from the top of Brush MTN that from Poverty Creek.
    '13 DB Mason B+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looking for this jump line which I think is the Beauty trail? I just want jumps. I've done the ones at Carvin's Cove but it would be nice to be able to find the ones at Pandapas which is much closer to me.

mtbr member
    See this map:
    http://www.weaselworks.org/pandapas/...ond_Trails.pdf

Pretty much everything west of old farm was so leaf covered after last weekend it was tough to follow
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    Rode Beauty and the jump line yesterday. Do to the leaf cover it's tough to find/access the top part of the trail from the service road/brush and hard to spot from the bottom as well. I ran GPS and can send you the gpx file if that would help?
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The best way to find the lower access of Beauty is you go past Jacob's Ladder and shortly after you'll do a creek crossing. Immediately after the creek crossing you'll notice the trail splits and Poverty Creek will continue to the right. If you take the trail to the left you'll almost immediately see the last couple of jumps on Beauty. Jumps aside, IMO there are other trails at Pandapas that are better and easier to find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    Rode Beauty and the jump line yesterday. Do to the leaf cover it's tough to find/access the top part of the trail from the service road/brush and hard to spot from the bottom as well. I ran GPS and can send you the gpx file if that would help?
    I don't use GPS at the moment so no need to send the file. I appreciate the map though. Very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by owensjs View Post
    The best way to find the lower access of Beauty is you go past Jacob's Ladder and shortly after you'll do a creek crossing. Immediately after the creek crossing you'll notice the trail splits and Poverty Creek will continue to the right. If you take the trail to the left you'll almost immediately see the last couple of jumps on Beauty. Jumps aside, IMO there are other trails at Pandapas that are better and easier to find.
    Thanks for the help! What are your favorite trails to ride at Pandapas? I have a entry level 26" hardtail so anything that is too rooty/rocky gives me some problems. Not that I won't attempt it, but I might not enjoy it as much as others (although so far everything at Pandapas that I have ridden has been tame enough. I've been thrown around a bit at Carvin's Cove though). I have ridden Poverty Creek, part of Horse Nettle, Joe Pye, Skull Cap, and I'm not sure what it is called but the trail that runs along the power lines (didn't ever see any signs on that one).

I have never really gone out there with any plan of what to ride just kind of explore a little. Suggestions from anyone else on what to ride would be welcome too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KylePatrickF View Post
    Thanks for the help! What are your favorite trails to ride at Pandapas?
    I'm a big fan of Snakeroot, the Prickly Pear/Skullcap/Trillium loop, Royale, and Joe Pye. I also like Gateway/Old Farm for a quick ride, but if I want a longer circuit, I prefer to start at the Upper parking lot and knock out a few trails on both sides of the mountain.

A loop I really enjoy is down Poverty Creek from the Upper lot, up Joe Pye and Horse Nettle, down Snakeroot, then on the way back I'll head up the fire road and tag Royale on the way back to the car. If I want a longer loop, I'll do the previous and add on going up Queen Anne and Skullcap, then down Prickly Pear and Royale and back to the car.

Formerly of Kent
    As previously mentioned, you can find the Beauty DH trail after the first creek crossing, just after Jacob's Ladder.

You pass between a 3ft gap where a downed tree was cut apart, go another 50-100ft around a right hand sweeper, and the trail will be right there. Alternatively, just walk uphill. Look for a small but deep creek bed to your left; you'll see a lip to a slight step up that the trail uses to cross that. The trail leads into that.

Probably not the appropriate forum to ask this in, but I'll throw it out there anyways: Would anyone be opposed to someone building well-constructed bridges across the creeks? Getting wet is all fine and dandy during the summer, but if the trails are rideable this winter, I'd love to be able to ride without getting soaked.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Probably not the appropriate forum to ask this in, but I'll throw it out there anyways: Would anyone be opposed to someone building well-constructed bridges across the creeks? Getting wet is all fine and dandy during the summer, but if the trails are rideable this winter, I'd love to be able to ride without getting soaked.
    When it comes to anything legitimate at Pandapas all trail building has to be approved by the local US Forest Service. Not saying it's impossible, but definitely go through the appropriate channels to keep it from getting torn down. There's already an existing trail crew that has been doing work to Poverty Creek. Get involved with the NRVBA and come be a part of those work days.

During the winter, I tend to avoid Poverty Creek because of how much water it tends to retain and to avoid the creek crossings. Doing that drastically minimizes getting wet. On some rides, no matter what you do, you'll encounter Poverty Creek at least briefly, but it's possible to do rides without touching it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    At about 31 seconds of the posted video, poverty creek is about 10 yards to the left. Of course the best way to get there is up snake root or horse nettle. Then grind up the fire road so you can take her all the way down

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Getting wet is all fine and dandy during the summer, but if the trails are rideable this winter, I'd love to be able to ride without getting soaked.
    Some bridges would be nice. If I could only build one, I think I'd put it at the bottom of Snake Root to open up the climbs in the winter.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by rmh2282 View Post
    At about 31 seconds of the posted video, poverty creek is about 10 yards to the left. Of course the best way to get there is up snake root or horse nettle. Then grind up the fire road so you can take her all the way down

Some bridges would be nice. If I could only build one, I think I'd put it at the bottom of Snake Root to open up the climbs in the winter.
    The only bridge I've seen out there is the one on Queen Anne, a bit east of where Skullcap t-bones it.

Made of rough hewn 6"x6", milled 2x6 decking, and good strong bolts.

Having lived in the PNW, a bridge like that is easily built in an afternoon with a couple of skilled volunteers, a (good) chainsaw and appropriate hardware. I've seen them made with NO hardware by a skilled joiner/carpenter, too. Tongues and grooves, dovetails, dados and all of that, with pegs carved from a different wood holding it all together. Amazing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The easiest way to find it is to ride from the fire road on the ridge. Just keep going past a bunch of big puddles and up and down a few hills. After maybe a mile, keep an eye out for a trail heading down to your left. Its got a big rhodo patch at the top, pretty easy to see. Its the only trail leading off the fire road after Beast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KylePatrickF View Post
    I have a entry level 26" hardtail so anything that is too rooty/rocky gives me some problems. Not that I won't attempt it, but I might not enjoy it as much as others (although so far everything at Pandapas that I have ridden has been tame enough. I've been thrown around a bit at Carvin's Cove though).
    I rode the crap out of everything off of Brush Mtn on a '94 Diamondback Apex HT

Thanks for the throwback thread y'all!
    '13 DB Mason B+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Just a little hijack and bump. I ended up in Blacksburg the other night and found myself on the Pandapas Pond trails the next morning. First off, fun little city, had a blast drinking with the VT kids. Southern girls are so nice.

But really here to shout out to Pandapas trails. I had a blast, fun to get back on some real mountains. The climb up to the ridge got my heart pumping on the ol' SS. The dive back down Snake Root was a hoot. Then I made my way over to the tech stuff, reminded me of my college days in PA. Very fun rock gardens. Great place for riding.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

Formerly of Kent
    Snake Root is fun, but the stuff on the north side of FS 708 is where it gets really, really rocky.