My little friends

Bear tracks at the anthrax pond??

A biking bud of mine was hunting near the anthrax pond in the Shed, and came across a set of bear tracks this weekend. Another hunter in the area mentioned to him that the bears hang out "In the boulders near the towers". Anyone know this location?? It might be fun to swing by and try to catch a photo of these critters. Kind of an ironic thread since in the "Safe place to ride near Baltimore" thread, Gambrill/watershed was listed as "safe". Sharp rocks, bears and anthrax sure sound inviting don't they!

EA

The king is on fire
    Back when I lived in Carroll Valley (not too far from Frederick) I saw a medium sized bear hanging out in the woods on my way to school, they rarely venture down this far though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've seen one there.

Quote Originally Posted by EABiker
    A biking bud of mine was hunting near the anthrax pond in the Shed, and came across a set of bear tracks this weekend. Another hunter in the area mentioned to him that the bears hang out "In the boulders near the towers". Anyone know this location?? It might be fun to swing by and try to catch a photo of these critters. Kind of an ironic thread since in the "Safe place to ride near Baltimore" thread, Gambrill/watershed was listed as "safe". Sharp rocks, bears and anthrax sure sound inviting don't they!

EA
    I was out riding a few year back and I saw one right in that area. He went booking into the woods away from me; pretty cool experience. The downside was that there were only two of us, and I was the slow one Bear food for sure.

Dave

Because I am !
    It just adds to the excitement of the ride when you get a good look at a bear or two. You guys need to come over and ride Pocahontas County WV. My son and I see bear just about every time we ride over there. It has become so normal we don't even take pictures of them criters anymore. I dang near hit a huge one last year while ripping a downhill on Kennison Mountain Trail. Missed him by inches, my son saw it and crashed into the bushes. Never saw one move so fast before. That was a bit unnerving, however all those sightings, only one was ever demanding enough to make us leave the trail and let him pass. We stood 20 yards into the woods, with .45 in hand, and allowed him to wander on by before we continued on down the trail. Wait till you round a curve and have one stand up on his hind feet just ahead of you. I almost had to wipe when that one happened. I tried to get my camera out but he took off into the swamp we were ridding near. Gotta love it ! !

I am the owl
    Outdoornut -

Sounds like you need to attach a bear bell to your seat rails!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Unit 91
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I was out riding a few year back and I saw one right in that area. He went booking into the woods away from me; pretty cool experience. The downside was that there were only two of us, and I was the slow one Bear food for sure.

Dave

Haha. Here is my away message for AIM that has to do with this subject..."You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than the slowest guy running from the bear."
    Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0