Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Bear convention at Carvins Cove?

On my ride this week (Tuesday) at the cove encountered TWO bears, bringing the total since last winter to five. I've seen one crossing Happy Valley near the end of Schoolhouse, one near the top of Bucks Rut, One along the 1000' Climb / Brushy Mt Tr near the top of Gauntlet, and yesterday I came up on one near the top of Girl Scout / Tuck-A-Way and one towards the Bottom of Hi-Dee-Ho. The one on Hi-Dee-Ho I came really close to. I was on the wide open part and bombing very fast, not really seeing much off the trail, when about 20 feet ahead I see a big black thing a few feet off the trail start running away from the trail. It could not have been more than 8 feet away when I passed it.

Do the bears know this is a "safe zone" from hunting season or something? In the 4 years I rode out there from 1998 to 2002 I saw 3 or 4 bears, now in one year it is 5.

One of the many things I love about riding there

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Must be the box of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in your pack hahahaha I've never seen a bear at the Cove. Couple people I know have seen them on Happy Valley road this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've seen bear out there on a couple of occasions. I've known several people who have seen them. I don't know of anyone who has ever had any problems with them, Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. I don't know if they see the Cove as a "safe place" but they could. I'm pretty sure the deer do. They everywhere and don't even flinch when we ride by.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ran up on one on 4gorges not too long ago, stretch up on a tree, man it was beautiful. On another note, stopped on the wooden bridge to talk to a buddy, looked down to see a 3ft copperhead crawling towards are feet. Proceeded to do a little snake dance, then got a stick and gave him a toss down into the creekbed. Can't think of too many other places I'd rather to be on a Sunday morning, bears, snakes and all.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Must be the box of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in your pack .
    I keep them to throw at the bears. That'll keep them away!

Yeah, like SSurlygirl says, they don't bother anyone that I am aware of. It has never really occurred to me to be worried about them. I do check to make sure it is not a mother and cub, though.

mtbr member
    No need to travel to the Cove when I can just look out my window...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great bear pics JnCarpenter. In the 1st pic he must be looking for one of Kapustas doughnuts up in the tree. 2ns pic he looks like he had a couple of them by the grin on his face haha. Great big paws. How many pounds do you think he weighs?

mtbr member
    He was fairly juvenile in those pics...250+ lbs. That was a couple years ago...but he recently stopped by again a month ago & was noticeably larger

First pic was just after he completely obliterated our squirrel feeder with the mere flick of a paw!

Nostralpicas
    I've got them at my place to little buggers though.

All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Our first time there. We pull up to a red light a couple of miles from the trail head. The truck in front of us had a four wheeler in the bed and a bear laying on the four wheelers rear rack. Made me think about what we were getting into.:ro

mtbr member
    My wife got this pic in the backyard recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I starting riding at the Cove in Aug-08 and have seen 12 in all. 2 cubs up Fire road towards Four Gorge, 1 huge bear standing just off the trail on School House, 1 small bear on Four Gorge, mother and 3 cubs up the 1000' climb just below Jacob's Drop the rest have been on Songbird. I hope the Coyotes stay away, this isn't very far away from the Cove, just north. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/227132

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_123
    I hope the Coyotes stay away, this isn't very far away from the Cove, just north. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/227132
    Honestly, I'm no more afraid of them then I am of the deer.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Couple of years ago I was driving into work on I-81. One coyote darted across the road from the median strip. He waited on the side while the other one looked both ways and then crossed when it was clear. Wiley coyotes they are. That was between the weigh station and the Hollins exit. They were headed towards Tinker Mountain and the dam area.
    Last year I would hear them at night at my house. Eerie "Call of the Wild" sound when they get a chorus going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hit up Carvins Cove for the first time this weekend. All we saw were a couple of deer, and like someone on here said, they could have cared less about us.

Kapusta, it was good to see you out there, albeit briefly. Man, what a beautiful place. You guys have quite a gem out there.

I'll try to post some more details about our trip later (in the other thread), but here are a couple of pics.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood
    Kapusta, it was good to see you out there, albeit briefly. Man, what a beautiful place. You guys have quite a gem out there.
    Yeah, it is good to have faces to go with mtbr screen names.

That's at the end of Arrowhead, right? I ate it hard on that very rock in the foreground last week I caught a little bit of air off the root right before it, and as I came down the wet rear tire caught that angled edge and took the bike right out from underneath me.

What all did you end up riding?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Good deal Fleetwood. Glad you got a taste of the Cove. I wasn't able to get over there Saturday, ended up riding Mill Mountain instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yeah, it is good to have faces to go with mtbr screen names.

That's at the end of Arrowhead, right? I ate it hard on that very rock in the foreground last week I caught a little bit of air off the root right before it, and as I came down the wet rear tire caught that angled edge and took the bike right out from underneath me.

What all did you end up riding?
    I think you are right. It is right after this stream crossing, which I have seen pictures on here of before.

I recall really enjoying that last section of Arrowhead before it pops out onto the FR.

As far as our route, we did Hi-Dee-Hoe to Four Gorge (as you saw -- man, that was a grueling start to the day) to Brushy Mtn down to Happy Valley and onto Songbird (fantastic views from atop and a lot of fun flying back down to Happy Valley). Over to Arrowhead and back around to Happy Valley down to School House (a welcomed fun and fast ride after some pretty decent workouts - as well as some cool views of the lake) across to Little Bell and back down to Happy Valley. Over to Enchanted Forest and the lower section of Comet. By the time we got to Happy Valley again, we were beat. We opted for the road back to the parking area. Just the thought of climbing back up Brushy Mtn to Four Gorge was painful...maybe next time!

Okay, one more for the road. I think this is part of Arrowhead also.

[IMG]http://i239

Members who have read this thread: 1