I'm on fire.

Baltimore in June

Checking out some work-related conferences, considering attending one in mid-June in downtown Baltimore. Looking for the some recommendations and insight...

4 or 5 day trip to the area. I'll have a car and a 5" dually bike. What are my riding options in the area? Would probably aim for a full day of riding someplace, then maybe a couple evening ventures if possible. Always lookin' for a local tour guide. How far away are Gambrill State Park or Frederick Watershed? Looking for challenging XC terrain.

Any opinions on these hotels?
    -Hilton Baltimore Hotel
    -Holiday Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor
    -Hyatt Regency Baltimore Hotel

Thanks for the help!
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    Go to patapsco it's right outside the inner harbor, no idea about the hotels
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Bicycle rider
    Gambrill and Watershed are 1+ hour from Baltihood with no traffic. Patapsco is about 15 min from the harbor. Keep us updated when your plans are finalized and I am sure someone will be happy to show you around the local trails. I don't know much about the hotels, check tripadvisor, i have had good luck with their reviews.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Stay away from the Hotel Monaco in downtown Baltimore.

I'm on fire.
    Thanks...looks like I'll try to hit Gambrill or the Watershed one of the days, then try to get some riding in Patapasco a few of the evenings. Thanks for the offer to meet up...I'll post more when I nail down some details, but would certainly like to hook up with a local guide.

Looks like Patapasco can be busy and isn't very techy - that true? How does Gambrill & the Watershed stack up for techy? Any good local web sites, bike shops, or maps I should get a hold of?

I've had great luck hooking up work-related trips like this in Seattle and Vegas...hope to add Baltimore to that list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cycle CNY

I am the owl
    If you are looking for tech XC, the Watershed will fit your bill. Patapsco is worth checking out, plenty of fast, fun singletrack with some bits of technical sprinkled in.

If you want to maximize your riding, you could stay near Patapsco, get some rides in there and you'll also be closer to Frederick. Downtown B-more is a quick drive down the highway. If you want to stay downtown, Baltimore is cool too.

Watershed trails look like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baltimore in June-fredrock.jpg  

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

I'm on fire.
    Awesome pics, looks like a ton of fun. Thanks!
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    White Clay Creek in Delaware is worth checking out too - about an hour or so north of Bmore - really stellar example of the type of tight rolling singletrack a lot of the mid atlantic has to offer. And if you're looking for good places to drink at night in the city, I can give you a list of em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree that White Clay would be a great place to go, but it is much farther than Patapsco. If you do decide to drive over 50 min i would highly recommend visiting Fair Hill in Cecil County MD. Over 100+ miles of perfectly maintained trails. This place offers everything for any type of rider. Check out the following site for details on organized rides at Fair Hill and info about White Clay.

http://www.trailspinners.org/

This is the group that maintains both of these great riding locations.

I would also suggest Loch Raven which is only 15-20 north of Baltimore, but the City is currently butting heads with the riding community over access issues so I would say avoid that place.

I'm on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    If you are looking for tech XC, the Watershed will fit your bill. Patapsco is worth checking out, plenty of fast, fun singletrack with some bits of technical sprinkled in.
    Looking forward to my B-town trip. Sunday, June 13th, I'll be in town with no plans but to ride all day. Would like to spend the day at the Watershed, especially if someone can commit to showing me around.... ? Conference to attend Mon-Wed, but will probably try to jump into some after-work group rides at Patapsco if I can find somebody to tag along with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baltimore in June-nate-roller-2.jpg  

Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was just about to pose this question... Looks like we're going to the same conference. I'm still waiting to hear if I can get up there with a bike or not. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.
    To the locals, if I'm staying on trails in Baltimore, single speed or full gears? Single speed is a beater, so I don't mind traveling with it, but I gears make the riding better I'll bring the nice bike.

I'm on fire.
    Bump...I'd like to hit the Watershed/Gambrill area on Sunday 6/13. I'll give it a shot myself, but would love to have a local guide for the day if anyone's game.

Hoping to catch a local Patapsco evening ride on Tuesday 6/15 too...
    Quote Originally Posted by enderwaves
    ... Looks like we're going to the same conference. I'm still waiting to hear if I can get up there with a bike or not.
    I'll assume there's a lot of different conferences going on in the Baltimore area during any given week. Most of the attendees at my conference are overweight, balding white males who would never ride a mountain bike because its too dangerous...
    Cycle CNY

Bicycle rider
    I was just about to pose this question... Looks like we're going to the same conference. I'm still waiting to hear if I can get up there with a bike or not. Maybe we can hook up for a ride.
    To the locals, if I'm staying on trails in Baltimore, single speed or full gears? Single speed is a beater, so I don't mind traveling with it, but I gears make the riding better I'll bring the nice bike.
    SS is fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I'll assume there's a lot of different conferences going on in the Baltimore area during any given week. Most of the attendees at my conference are overweight, balding white males who would never ride a mountain bike because its too dangerous...[/QUOTE]

yup, still think it's the same one. Any word on group rides at patapsco? That thread doesn't seem to wanna load for me.

Bicycle rider
    Ender and Trigger - I should be able to show you around tomorrow afternoon around 5 pm. What level riders are you? Will probably do about 12 miles or so with some serious climbing and some fast, semi-technical downhills. Let me know.

I'm on fire.
    Awesome, many thanks. PM sent!

Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Ender and Trigger - I should be able to show you around tomorrow afternoon around 5 pm. What level riders are you? Will probably do about 12 miles or so with some serious climbing and some fast, semi-technical downhills. Let me know.
    Cycle CNY

I'm on fire.

yup, still think it's the same one. Any word on group rides at patapsco?
    Safety geeks unite! Damn, wish I could offer you a ride but only have room for 1 bike in the trunk. Hope you can make it.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ive got room for two bikes on my roof, so long as you don't have a lefty too. I stopped by the local cdale shop a minute ago to try to find a guide. The folks there were gonna make some calls for me. If nothing else, I had a fun 12 miler just checking out baltimore by bike.

Bicycle rider
    I pm'ed you my cell. I usually drop in here (Grovemont and Landing Road). You can either meet me here or in the park in the parking lot off of Route 1.<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp ;q=grovemont+drive+and+landing+road&amp;sll=39.228 43,-76.754479&amp;sspn=0.015226,0.027595&amp;ie=UTF8&a mp;hq=&amp;hnear=Landing+Rd+%26+Grovemont+Dr,+Elkr idge,+Howard,+Maryland+21075&amp;ll=39.230158,-76.76072&amp;spn=0.003806,0.006899&amp;z=14&amp;ou tput=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&a mp;q=grovemont+drive+and+landing+road&amp;sll=39.2 2843,-76.754479&amp;sspn=0.015226,0.027595&amp;ie=UTF8&a mp;hq=&amp;hnear=Landing+Rd+%26+Grovemont+Dr,+Elkr idge,+Howard,+Maryland+21075&amp;ll=39.230158,-76.76072&amp;spn=0.003806,0.006899&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I'm on fire.
    Many thanks to Dave and Jason for the tours of Gambrill & Papatasco. Had a great time during my visit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baltimore in June-nate-trail.jpg  

Baltimore in June-nate-jump.jpg  

Cycle CNY

Members who have read this thread: 0