Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Attention Maryland: Booby Traps Found

I haven't posted here in probably 6 years, but I still ride, (a little ). I subscribe to Baltimore Spokes and received this today:

http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...30307210851934
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's messed up. I hope they catch the creep(s).
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

bikeboatbrewski
    Been going on for years now. A coworker who has lived in the area most his life told me a teenager was killed back in the 70's, riding an ATV, when he struck a wire that had been placed across the trail.

Two years ago I found gill nets strung across knuckle buster right where the trail goes between two trees.

mtbr member

Attention Maryland: Booby Traps Found

Ugh that makes me sick to my stomach .... Wtf is wrong with people

bikeboatbrewski
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease people. Light a fire up under the MD DNR, local sheriff, Fredneck cops and your elected officials if you want something done about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    with all the attention this has been getting, they'll never find the guy, now......

Part of me understands the need to get the word out, but another part of me is worried about the attention this will bring on the Shed. AFAIK all those trails are rogue. Wild wild west. Now the authorities might decide if they can't police the trails they'll just close them down. It's called liability.

mtbr member
    Old news, but still disturbing to hear that this is still going on. I live outside of Frederick, but don't really ride in the watershed too much. The worst thing I've ever run into is riding through clear monofilament fishing line that was crisscrossed on a trail.

My little friends
    My guess is that these things are done by disgruntled hunters who feel that the bikers are ruining their hunting spot by scaring away the deer. Actually, it's probably the opposite as the deer get used to people being in the woods. As long as we do not ride during the hunting seasons, they may "forget" about us. Easier done in later deer season than spring turkey for sure.

Figured it was the same hunters who blew-away the lovely couple in my avatar!

Helmetless Crasher
    Amazing . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Whatever happened to the grant and agreement MORE was supposed to have to mark and map the 'shed XC trails? This was like two years ago now probably, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony and everything as I recall. Yet today the trails are still as clandestine as ever.

I have family in Hagerstown so I get a chance to ride the area a couple times a year visiting. With this continuing and the issues with DNR I read about over the past year, I've just taken to skipping the 'shed and doing the yellow loop at Gambrill instead. Plus there's no hunting to consider if you stay inside Gambrill.

I am the owl
    I don't have as much time as I would like to post, but I'll offer some info to elaborate on these posts

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    with all the attention this has been getting, they'll never find the guy, now......

Part of me understands the need to get the word out, but another part of me is worried about the attention this will bring on the Shed. AFAIK all those trails are rogue. Wild wild west. Now the authorities might decide if they can't police the trails they'll just close them down. It's called liability.
    Read this thread over on the MORE forums which contains a lot of information about the current status of the trails. This was put together after a December meeting with the city and DNR. Bottom line: DNR and City are well aware of the rougue trails and have asked that the word be spread building needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post
    Whatever happened to the grant and agreement MORE was supposed to have to mark and map the 'shed XC trails? This was like two years ago now probably, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony and everything as I recall. Yet today the trails are still as clandestine as ever.

I have family in Hagerstown so I get a chance to ride the area a couple times a year visiting. With this continuing and the issues with DNR I read about over the past year, I've just taken to skipping the 'shed and doing the yellow loop at Gambrill instead. Plus there's no hunting to consider if you stay inside Gambrill.
    DNR put the brakes on that plan because of the issues with rogue trail building. We finally have gotten permission (again) to reroute an eroded section of the blue trail on the north end which was part of that plan. The original intention was to use the grant money to hire professionals to build that. Because of the need to put the job out to bid and deal with things like permits, we decided it would be better to do another volunteer build and get things started ASAP. That project kicked off a little over a week ago with 2 days of corridor clearing. We will be having a big build day on March 23rd where we start the bench work.

Several of us were invited to another meeting called by a city alderman last week. This was due to a "concerned citizen" who is worried about the habitat of rattlesnakes and the impact traill building is having on the environment. The meeting was attended by a couple of these "concerned citizens", lots of DNR staff and quite a few city staff. The citizens had lots of pictures of trail "features" they shared with the crowd. This stuff is on their radar. The trail booby traps were another topic of conversation at this meeting and the one in December.

I'll finish with this: don't blame the hunters for the booby traps. There is zero proof it is a hunter doing this. Stay safe and keep your eyes peeled.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Not trying to point any fingers, but would you say the downhill style runs at the 'shed are hindering some of the potential to get the XC sections more on the up and up?

another bozo on the bus
    Rogue trail building is a problem on both ends. For some reason people have this idea that the xc trails are somehow excusable. If you ride anything other than the blue trail, you are most likely on illegal trail. I think it's the new 650b specific trails that are causing the most problems. I never liked those guys anyway :P

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup View Post
    Rogue trail building is a problem on both ends.
    Yep.

I'd characterize it like this, the 3 big issues are:
    1) Unauthorized trail building of any type
    2) Concerns about erosion and potential impact on water quality
    3) Where the trail is located and the impact on the habitat and environment of animals and plants, some of which are threatened or endangered

#2 and #3 generally fall under issue #1

If you ride anything other than the blue trail, you are most likely on illegal trail.
    One of the DNR managers has this view but I strongly disagree. A Trail Like Death March is an old road and actively maintained. I have a map that is 100 years old with most of the Salamander trail on it. The old map below shows lots of stuff that is still out there and in use, I call those legit

Old Frederick Watershed Map on Flickr
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

another bozo on the bus
    I think there is something hypocritical when a trail advocacy group hosts rides on rogue trail, then condemns the building of said trails. Group rides being hosted on Skink, reanimator, iceberg and others should not be happening under MOREs banner if these trails are not officially recognized. It sends mixed signals. Trails like Ridge and Salamander are seen now as nothing more than a way to link up the rogue stuff. Those that advocate and are the liaisons have this do as I say, not as I do way of leading. Perhaps when I see those who are trying to govern, stick to the Blue and Salamander trails, I'll shut my mouth. It's kind of like riding Patapsco in the rain. Everyone condemns it, but I keep getting emails about heading out there in questionable conditions from those who are outspoken about preserving the trails. It's laughable.

mtbr member
    MORE is not one person. Many people lead rides for MORE out there who are MORE members and prominent ones at that. They didn't build the trails but they are so damn good, you can't ignore them. The issue with the Watershed has been bandied about for over 20 years, pre internetz, and nothing has changed. A few people are responsible for almost all of the building and it has been long overdue. This is more of a case of being responsibly irresponsible or civil disobedience. I've built a lot of trail at Patapsco legally and never (hard stop) ride there when it is questionable, mostly because too many people do. I had a very small hand in building some trail out in the 'shed. No lumber, no fall-line, good quality stuff.

Guess what? I'm inconsistent. Kinda makes me human. I have stopped building out there, but not riding.

We all can't live up to your strident moral code, Nater...

And no small-hand jokes...

Joe, Phil and others should be supported now that the city/state wants to talk. Again. Maybe this time they'll realize what a good idea it is to improve that piece of land with some trails, a trail pass ($$$) and active, new-school stewardship.

See you soon.

mk

another bozo on the bus
    Hey, Im just saying if you ask me not to ride rogue trails, I better not run into riding them either. It's a double standard. There is this vibe that it's the DH crowd that's the problem but nobody will come out and say it. Typical polital cowardess. I organized a meeting while I was on the board with some of long time downhillers ( makes me cringe typing that cuz it just feeds the hate mongering in this area as there is no need to segregate) and advocacy folks. Joe showed up. Not a single MORE board member other than myself showed or even returned an email to me. I was trying to bridge the gap and prove to those folks that The idea that MORE isn't interested in that type of riding wasn't true. I feels as though I was naive in thinking that. I enjoy riding everything there on a given day and am left feeling that this didn't fit into the personal agendas of those on the board. Somebody prove me wrong.

mtbr member
    Well, the Board is a moving target. I don't feel super-comfy with what is going on with MORE right now but my time has passed. I just keep my membership up and go to the occasional event. It's not my typical scene which is why I like to keep in touch at least.

On behalf of MORE, I started the Patapsco skills park thinger and got a lot of non-MORE people out to some meetings regarding jumps/drops/etc. DNR said 'no' about that project but part of the conversations about that project kept the Lewis and Clarke features open for a few extra years.

People have been bridging the gap. You did a bit, I did a bit and others do a bit. MORE didn't used to have rides out there and certainly didn't talk about riding the more advanced stuff. That goes on now.

I think you see a snapshot of MORE in time and hold that as your frame of reference, which makes sense. I simply suggest that it's more nuanced than you think.

And nobody is saying stay off the trails, they are just asking for the building to stop as an act of good faith while DNR and the city talk with mtn bikers. If we can show restraint and stop the building for a while, it would be good, I think. If they decided to punt again and not act to improve access out there, people will get frustrated again and start building.

And it's pretty easy to see why people built. Tons of land and really bad existing trail. You know that a lot of the legacy stuff out there was very poor, environmentally.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think there is something hypocritical when a trail advocacy group hosts rides on rogue trail, then condemns the building of said trails. Group rides being hosted on Skink, reanimator, iceberg and others should not be happening under MOREs banner if these trails are not officially recognized. It sends mixed signals.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    MORE is not one person. Many people lead rides for MORE out there who are MORE members and prominent ones at that.
    MORE needs to come up with a common stance on the issue. It's true that any MORE member can organize a group ride, but MORE can pull the plug on that ride if it is at odds with the advocacy side.

mtbr member
    Again, it's not a problem RIDING the trails that are there, it's the BUILDING of them. They were built by non-MORE members (vast majority) but some MORE members are leading rides on them. Right now, it's not at odds with the advocacy side.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

another bozo on the bus
    Are we talking some antics here?

The way I sees it, if you use it, you acknowledge and support it. Meaning you, by default approve of its inception. Its like buying stolen stuff from a thief. By purchasing those goods, you perpetuate the machine. Hence purchasing stolen goods is also illegal. Also, A group got blasted by a DNR cop last year about riding a rogue trail. Anyone who was there knows his stance on riding them.

mtbr member
    Antics for sure.

I dunno, man. I ride with some honch DNR staff. I'm gonna go ride my bike tomorrow. Are you up here or down there?

We can arm wrestle at the half-way point. Then we'll decide it all...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

another bozo on the bus
    Ill be doing time in the friendly city. Might turn some pedals in Maryland early on Friday depending on my schedule. Pretty much riding exclusively down here now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I would think the traps more likely come from the types described above who show up to "protect" the rattlesnakes with the pics of trail features...which have 0 affect on rattlesnakes. Not much terrorism comes from hunters, but the radical environmentalists make use of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast