Alright, let's ride!

Anyone racing Mountwood this weekend?

Just curious how many people here plan on racing at Mountwood this weekend. For that matter, how many plan on doing the WVMBA series?

mtbr member
    I'll be there clicking this one in as my 4th race ever. Plan to preride the course today and possibly go out there sat. if we get any rain to see what the trail conditions are like. After then its off to Big Bear then Coopers then Tomlinson and on and on and on.......
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    I'll be there clicking this one in as my 4th race ever. Plan to preride the course today and possibly go out there sat. if we get any rain to see what the trail conditions are like. After then its off to Big Bear then Coopers then Tomlinson and on and on and on.......
    Enjoy your pre-ride, I was there yesterday, and Saturday, and last Sunday. Will you be in the sport class? Give me a yell if you see me, I'll be on this thing.

Let's hope it doesn't rain too much, that course changes a lot when it's muddy. Here is a picture of my bike from Saturday's pre-ride.

Alright, let's ride!
    Oh yeah, here is a list of my current race schedule. I am planning on doing 11 of the WVMBA races.

1. 2/25/06 – Hartford, OH Road Race – 1st place (cat 5)
    2. 2/26/06 – Mentor, KY Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    3. 3/5/06 – L’Espirit, KY Road Race – dnf (cat 5, rode in ambulance with friend that crashed)
    4. 3/12/06 – Morrow, OH Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    5. 3/19/06 – Saint Leon, KY Road Race – 2nd place (cat 5)
    6. 3/25/06 – Mid Ohio Tour, OH Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    7. 3/26/06 – Hueston Woods, OH Road Race – 11th place (cat 5, had teammated in solo breakaway)
    8. 4/2/06 – Mt. Sterling, OH Road Race – finished with pack (cat 4)
    9. 4/23/06 – Mountwood, WV MTB Race
    10. 4/30/06 – Big Bear, WV MTB Race
    11. 5/7/06 – Coopers Rock, WV MTB Race
    12. 5/14/06 – Tomilson State Park, WV MTB Race
    13. 5/20/06 – St. Albans, WV Road Race (Crit)
    14. 5/21/06 – Spencer, WV MTB Race
    15. 5/28/06 – So. Charleston, WV MTB Race
    16. 6/18/06 – Appalachian Classic, WV MTB Race
    17. 6/21/06 – 6/25/06 – Slatyfork Shuffle, MTB Gathering
    18. 7/4/06 – ??? WV Road Race
    19. 7/30/06 – Little Beaver, WV MTB Race
    20. 8/6/06 – Lake Hope, Athens, OH MTB Race
    21. 8/27/06 – Ace Adventure, WV MTB Race
    22. 10/1/06 – Huntington, WV MTB Race (WVMBA Championship)

mtbr member
    Wow! That's alot racing. I only plan on doing 9 of the WVMBA races and couple of races in Ohio during the gaps in the WVMBA series, 13 total.
    April 9 – Tsali Knobscorcher, NC
    April 23 - Challenge at Mountwood, Mountwwod Park, Waverly WV
    April 30 - Big Bear, Hazelton, WV
    May 7 - Henry Clay 30K,Cooper's Rock Sate Park, WV
    May 14 - Tour of Tomilson, Tomilson State Park, WV
    May 21 - Tour de Lake, Charles Fork Park, Spenser, WV -
    May 28 - Race the Trace, Little Creek Park, South Charleston, WV
    June 25 – The Great Trail, Malvern, OH
    July 9 – Battle of Turkey Creek, Mt. Perry, OH
    Aug 6 - Lake Hope, near Athens, OH – WVMBA
    Sept. 3 – Dillard State Park, Zansville, OH
    Sept 24 - Black Bear, Kanawha State Forest, Charleston WV
    Oct 1 - Dirt Derby, Barboursville Park, Barboursville, WV

Alright, let's ride!
    How did you do at Tsali?

mtbr member
    29 out of 34 in sport. Not the best showing but at least I'd moved up relative to my other 2 races (dead last and DNF). I've still got lots to learn about racing.

Saw your post about running Kenda Karmas in wet, muddy conditions. As of yesterday Mountwood was pretty dry except for a few wet/muddy spots. The Karmas wouldn't hookup for sh*t on the muddy spots. Had the bike go out from under me twice. If it rains a single drop (and the weather channel says it probably will) I'll be switching over to something with a little more bite.

Alright, let's ride!
    29 out of 34 in sport. Not the best showing but at least I'd moved up relative to my other 2 races (dead last and DNF). I've still got lots to learn about racing.

Saw your post about running Kenda Karmas in wet, muddy conditions. As of yesterday Mountwood was pretty dry except for a few wet/muddy spots. The Karmas wouldn't hookup for sh*t on the muddy spots. Had the bike go out from under me twice. If it rains a single drop (and the weather channel says it probably will) I'll be switching over to something with a little more bite.
    Congrats on the improving results. If you check the results for the sport class over the past two years (2004 & 2005) you will notice that I have paid my dues at the rear of the pack as well. My first name is Bruce when you look, prefer not to post my last name on an open forum. It's pretty easy to figure out though. I'm hoping to have better results this year.

So what was your time for the Mountwood course yesterday?

mtbr member
    I don't know, I didn't time the ride. Kept stopping to check out lines and rode pretty slow just so I could remember as much of the course as possible. It was my first time out there and I probably won't get another chance before the race.

Alright, let's ride!
    So are you ready for tomorrow???

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Oh yeah, here is a list of my current race schedule. I am planning on doing 11 of the WVMBA races.

1. 2/25/06 – Hartford, OH Road Race – 1st place (cat 5)
    2. 2/26/06 – Mentor, KY Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    3. 3/5/06 – L’Espirit, KY Road Race – dnf (cat 5, rode in ambulance with friend that crashed)
    4. 3/12/06 – Morrow, OH Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    5. 3/19/06 – Saint Leon, KY Road Race – 2nd place (cat 5)
    6. 3/25/06 – Mid Ohio Tour, OH Road Race – 3rd place (cat 5)
    7. 3/26/06 – Hueston Woods, OH Road Race – 11th place (cat 5, had teammated in solo breakaway)
    8. 4/2/06 – Mt. Sterling, OH Road Race – finished with pack (cat 4)
    9. 4/23/06 – Mountwood, WV MTB Race
    10. 4/30/06 – Big Bear, WV MTB Race
    11. 5/7/06 – Coopers Rock, WV MTB Race
    12. 5/14/06 – Tomilson State Park, WV MTB Race
    13. 5/20/06 – St. Albans, WV Road Race (Crit)
    14. 5/21/06 – Spencer, WV MTB Race
    15. 5/28/06 – So. Charleston, WV MTB Race
    16. 6/18/06 – Appalachian Classic, WV MTB Race
    17. 6/21/06 – 6/25/06 – Slatyfork Shuffle, MTB Gathering
    18. 7/4/06 – ??? WV Road Race
    19. 7/30/06 – Little Beaver, WV MTB Race
    20. 8/6/06 – Lake Hope, Athens, OH MTB Race
    21. 8/27/06 – Ace Adventure, WV MTB Race
    22. 10/1/06 – Huntington, WV MTB Race (WVMBA Championship)
    Low, you need a girlfriend or something
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Low, you need a girlfriend or something
    I've been trying to convince my wife of that for a couple of years now. I don't seem to be having any luck.

mtbr member
    So are you ready for tomorrow???
    OH YEA! I just hope this weather clears and the trails dry up a bit before go time.

Alright, let's ride!
    OH YEA! I just hope this weather clears and the trails dry up a bit before go time.
    Nothing wrong with hoping but I wouldn't count on it. I imagine it is going to be a pretty muddy race.

the unvarnished nonsense
    I've been trying to convince my wife of that for a couple of years now. I don't seem to be having any luck.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

Glad to see the Shuffle is on the LowCel agenda. Say "Hi" to the wife and girlfriend.

Capt.Phun: Left a message last night. Hope to talk with you soon.

Chili: Mrs. davis says you better marry that girl soon!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Alright, let's ride!
    Here's my race report from the race.

Well I did my first mtb race of the year today. It was at Mountwood at Parkersburg, WV. The race started off pretty well. I couldn't get to the front row so I started in the second or third row back behind a couple of kids wearing sweat pants shorts, this kind of scared me. I'm not real sure why they felt the need to start on the front row but oh well, what do I know. A minute later I took I made my way around them but unfortunately quite a few others started didn't have the same road block.

Anyway, the race started off with a one mile gravel road climb. I was feeling pretty good going up it. I managed to pass all of the sport racers except three. It then turned to a muddy singletrack. I was able to pass two of the remaing three sport racers in this singletrack. I passed two of them riding, one of them running up a short climb. At this point I was feeling pretty good. Now I started passing some of the Junior and Vet experts, then some of the women experts. I was feeling great. We hit about 1/4 mile of pavement and I continued to pass. We made it to some more single track where I went around four woment experts and a couple more junior/vet experts. We stayed on this singletrack for about 1/2 mile. It then went to pavement for 1/4 mile, I kept passing. I couldn't believe how great things were going and how great I was feeling.

We now entered a parking lot, another 1/4 mile and it would be all singletrack for the next 13 miles. I couldn't wait! I passed a couple more riders. Next thing I knew it felt like I came unclipped. I couldn't figure out why but oh well just clip back in right? WRONG!!!!!!! I looked down and I didn't have a pedal. It was still attached to my shoe!!!

What a way to end a day. Unfortunately the multi-tool I was carrying did not have the right size allen wrench to fit my crank brothers pedals. It is against the rules to borrow a tool from anyone else so that was the end of my day. Go from first to DNF in .05 seconds. My first mountain bike dnf in four years of racing.

Because I am !
    LowCel, sure sorry to hear about the equipment failure. I saw your class start and just saw a glimse of you cross the parking area before starting up Copperhead. I wondered why I didn't see your name on the board after the race.

I didn't do that great but I guess it was a start. But had a blast. Glad I let my son talk me into that. I thought for sure I was going to be dead last in beginners however was able to catch and pass one of the other riders in my class once I got to the downhill portion of Haystack and then Collarbone. Thank goodness for those downhills.

I don't ever remember riding Mountwood when it was that bad. Hope next time I do that it is drier. Again, sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope your next race is better. Looks like you have several. Glad to make the aquaintence before the race. Did my son happen to meet you? I told him where you were located but I didn't think to ask him if he stopped by.

Members who have read this thread: 0