mtbr member

Anyone local ride a Horsethief?

I am considering a 2013 Horsethief. My main concern is how it will climb on longer singletrack climbs as well as road and fire road type climbs. I don't mind having to switch on the CTD switch for long climbs, but I don't want to feel like I need to ride with a firmer platform to keep the frame from bobbing too much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I am considering a 2013 Horsethief. My main concern is how it will climb on longer singletrack climbs as well as road and fire road type climbs. I don't mind having to switch on the CTD switch for long climbs, but I don't want to feel like I need to ride with a firmer platform to keep the frame from bobbing too much.
    Depends what you mean by local..I am in Washington county and ride one. IMO it climbs great on both road and fire roads. It also does very well climbing tight single track. It does particularly well at the Frederick watershed where there is a bit of everything

mtbr member
    I'm in Northern VA and ride a 2012 'Thief. My shock just has Propedal or full open settings. I pretty much always use propedal on climbs, as there's a good bit of bob otherwise. I have ridden it at Fountainhead, Patapsco and Gambrill locally. Last summer I rode Whole Enchilada in Moab and several trails in Crested Butte. If you are a stand and mash climber, there's a bit of bob. If you're more sit and spin (like I am) it's no problem with propedal. It doesn't climb like an XC bike, that's for sure, but it kills it on technical climbs and is super sweet and stable downhill. If you're picky about weight, I suppose lighter wheels could make the climbing a little better, but I haven't felt the need.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with a Hammerhead Thumper/Switchback Unveil 9. I found a great deal on the frame.