mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Anyone in the Greater Baltimore Area have an Airline Bike Box I can borrow?

An unexpected opportunity has presented itself and I will be traveling to Nicaragua after Thanksgiving for a week of scouting and surveying for a new trail system/bike park that will be built by a friend's trail building company. The trails are going to be constructed next summer so myself and the owner of the trail building company are flying down with the land owner/investor to use some GPS equipment, photos, and videos to create a proposal for the trails. We are going to bring our bikes to use mostly as transportation but there might be some fun trail riding thrown in. The last time I flew with a bike I was in College and our Cycling team had several flight boxes we borrowed, but I currently don't have a box. Just wondering if anyone in the area has a box I could borrow for a week. The bike I'd be bringing is a hardtail 29er if that makes a difference...

I am the owl
    Are you a MORE member? They now have a few boxes that members can borrow.
    Thule Bike Boxes [Archive] - MORE Forums

You can contact the membership guy for info
    Contact MORE | MORE-MTB
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How was the trip? I am heading there for xmas/ny. Did you find any trails to ride? Where is the trail they are building?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am actually in Nicaragua now, I've been here for a week and I have a few more days before heading home. I ended up just using a standard bike box and the Resort owners are reimbursing for the 150 fee to fly with a bike. The area in Nicaragua is called Tola and we are on a private 2000 acre resort which is hoping to incorporate world class mountain bike trails into their amenities. I'm working with a retired world cup mountain biker's trail building company so I'm basically a grunt. It's been a fun experience so far and I'm hoping they get the contract so I can return to build the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Streb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sounds like this place has potential. How is the scene down there? Did you hear of any other places to ride? I'm going to be out on Ometepe Island for xmas, those volcanos look like they might have some trails on or around them. I'm guessing renting a decent bike is unlikely though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derek@ View Post
    Sounds like this place has potential. How is the scene down there? Did you hear of any other places to ride? I'm going to be out on Ometepe Island for xmas, those volcanos look like they might have some trails on or around them. I'm guessing renting a decent bike is unlikely though.
    The scene is almost nonexistent, there was 1 local that I met but he mostly rode dirt road, nothing we would really consider Mountain biking. As with most 3rd world countries, bicycles are a main mode of transportation so riding for enjoyment isn't as common as it is here. Nothing I rode was MTB specific, mostly dirt trails that locals use, old hiking/hunting trails, and some trails that lead to rivers for water/fishing. The resort I was at did have some rental bikes but they weren't very nice, I was happy to have my personal bike while I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Streb?
    Yes. Nothing is concrete yet, we were there to do a site analysis of their current trails and vision and give them a proposal for future trails and construction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's rad. I'm an acquaintance of her husband Mark. I'm trying to help them get their website finished.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I guess their goal is to attract tourists then.

Got any pics?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by derek@ View Post
    So I guess their goal is to attract tourists then.

Got any pics?
    The resort already has world class surfing, so they are trying to add mountain biking to their list of amenities.

I have a ton of pics, trying to get everything uploaded over the next day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    That's rad. I'm an acquaintance of her husband Mark. I'm trying to help them get their website finished.
    Mark is actually who I was with, Marla stayed home to watch the kids.