mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Anyone familar with riding near where the PA-MD-DE borders meet?

I could be moving to where PA-MD-DE borders all merge, and was wondering how the biking was there. Anyone familar with the quality of riding in the area?

Also, if you have anything to add about the quality of life in that area, I would love to hear it.

THanks

mtbr member

Fairhill

Quote Originally Posted by WoodedRidgeRider
    I could be moving to where PA-MD-DE borders all merge, and was wondering how the biking was there. Anyone familar with the quality of riding in the area?

Also, if you have anything to add about the quality of life in that area, I would love to hear it.

THanks
    When I used to live around those parts, I used to ride quite a bit in Fairhill (on the MD side). Awesome singletrack!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm in Southern Delaware and have ridden Fair Hills a few times. It's a nice ride. I ride with First State Velo Sport, and there are some mountain bikers in the mix (we actually produce the Iron Hill MTB race, held at Fair hill).

You may want to check out:

www.fsvsonline.com
    http://www.henrysbikes.com/ - one of our sponsors, a good shop and links on the site to other clubs.
    www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org

Jamie
    Last edited by demtbiker; 06-07-2006 at 05:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Well welcome to the area, i live in newark so if you need a trail guid the first couple of times im nice and steady, just email me.
    Middle Run/Judge Morris/Possum Hill/White Clay creek are all interconnected. Some really steep short grunts on one side of this but for the most part very nice rolling trails with a smooth hard pack.

Fair Hill, just read the reviews, its 5 miles from newark and a blast to ride. Horses however are around and sometime mess up the trails but good. Otherwise great riding.

There is also the brandywine park in wilmington, ive not ridden there but people swear its pretty good also.

In short there will be plentyof great riding to get in on here. Welcome to the neighborhood.
    Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks to all 3 of you

I wasn't aware of those links, so they will help me alot.

I will be working in Elkton, MD should I decide to accept the offer. Knowing there is decent mtn biking in the area helps alot

Maybe this Fall we can ride together!

BTW - if you have any suggestions about where to live, or NOT live in that area, I would be grateful.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

De/md/pa

Definately check out the Trailspinners. They hold regular rides at all of the local parks. There are other groups associated with various shops and teams as well that ride the same trails only sometimes not as inclusive or as regular.
    http://www.trailspinners.org/

The riding is plentyfull in the area. As for housing it kind of depends on if you have children or not as the school systems vary a lot. There's usually a trade-off of housing prices, school quality and property and income taxes depending on whether you choose to live in MD, PA or DE since they all converge here. I live in MD but could probably throw a rock into PA and DE.

Elkton may be a bit of a culture shock depending on where you are moving from. Thye did have a downtown Crit there last month though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks DP,

I am single no kiddies, but I don't want to live in a dive area. What do you suggest for living? I prefer rural and quiet, and if it has access to parks for riding and running all the better.

I don't think Elkton will be culture shock to me, as I grew up in a town much smaller than it.

Are there any hidden taxes in MD (by that I mean taxes beyond sales tax, income tax...for example, some states tax you yearly on the value of your car).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'm not up on all of the tax implications.

There is a sales tax, but tax free shopping is right over the border ( in many cases the closest option ) in DE.

There is a "piggyback" tax for Cecil Co that surprises some people. It is 50% above what you pay in Income taxes to the State of MD.

MD has a tagging fee, but I think PA and DE do too. I don't know the percentages.

If you work in the state you live in, you "MAY" pay less income taxes than if you live in one and work in another.

Rural and quiet is available, more so in Cecil Co Md than New Castle Co. DE. Western Chester Co. PA is also an option.

One thing I can say about the area is there is every type of ride availble, right out your door, except mountain passes. So availability of riding should not be a limiter at all.

mtbr member
    It depends if you are planning ot buy or rent at first. Delaware has the 2nd lowest tax rate in the nation. Tax on a new car purschace is only 2%, as opposed to 6% in MD. Depending on where you are working might help your choice some. Price in the Delaware market is harder to find affordable housing. However there is lots of rental to chose from. If you say rental and want to live in delaware than i have some nice rental suggestions for you that are 1/4 mile from great riding.
    Let us know and i can see what i can do to help you .
    Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....tough week.

Anyway, I am looking to rent beginning August 1. Only myself, no pets, non smoker. I would prefer to rent a small 2BD house, but am open to apartments as well. I would like to keep the rent below $1200, but may be willing to jump up a small amount as well.

If you have any suggestions as to where I can access listings online, or anyplace else, I would be grateful.

Gravity...mmm
    Susquehanna State Park has some really good rides. I used to drive up there from DC and meet a buddy from NJ there. We'd get a good 2-3 hour ride in, and it was never crowded.

mtbr member
    I lived in The Bluffs in pike creek for two years. Nice quiet comunity. ANd best of all its just 5 minutes ride from Middle run/whiteclay creek/ judge morris estate.
    http://www.rimsi.com/bluffs/index.html

You are also just 10 minutes from newark, a great college town with great looking ladies.

Bill

Members who have read this thread: 0