mtbr member

Anybody ridden MOCO and NOVA Epics?

I'm looking for some feedback from people that rode this years first NOVA Epic and have ridden prior MOCO Epics.

I did the 40mi NOVA Epic and had gas left at the end of the ride, so I signed up for the 65mi MOCO Epic. MOCO sounds like a more challenging ride with most of it being single track. The NOVA Epic had a large portion of paved path/sidewalk riding and plenty of flat sections to rest on and my buddy and I made it in about 4hrs (10mph avg).

What can I expect from my first MOCO Epic? I got plenty of time to train!

-T
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I didn't do the NOVA, but have ridden the various portions of it over the years. I have done the MOCO 45 (now the 50) and the 65. The MOCO is significantly harder than the NOVA. Much more singletrack, more elevation, etc. Some of the road portions of the MOCO are tough too (Kings Valley Rd comes to mind).

It took me (a mere mortal) about 8 hours (including stops) to complete the MOCO last year on a singlespeed. The part of the ride where I regretted having a SS was on the C&O. YMMV

You'll have fun! Many more riders in the MOCO too. Lot's of cool bikes, riders, and great aid stations.

mtbr member
    Good to hear! I'll look forward to the challenge and training for it Got plenty of time and I ride regularly enough that I can work up to those miles. When 40mi becomes a training ride it'll open up all kinds of all-day riding possibilities for me.

My distance seems to be limited by my ass hurting more than my legs being tired. I've got a pair of good padded bike shorts and got a seat that fits better (WTB Vigo Team). Got any other tips for long rides? On the NOVA Epic I set front and rear suspension on the plush descend compression setting. I know it wasted energy but it made it much more comfortable.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er