that guy
    Jun 2011

Any trails near Maury River in VA?

My friends and I are planning to kayak on the lower Maury River on Sunday. We're trying to bike on Saturday. Are there any decent XC-style trails in that area?

Thanks ahead of time!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    My friends and I are planning to kayak on the lower Maury River on Sunday. We're trying to bike on Saturday. Are there any decent XC-style trails in that area?

Thanks ahead of time!

When you say lower Maury River I am guessing Buena Vista / Glasgow?

Two top notch trail systems within an hours drive, Douthat State park and Carvins Cove. Well signed and easy for a visitor to get around.

Everything else is national forest back country type riding. Best for the adventurous rider with a good sense of direction, less trail signage and maintenance.

Close to Buena Vista are two trails that are on my to ride yet, just haven not made it there yet. Trail 509 Reservoir Hollow loops off of Route 60 east of Buena Vista back into town. Probably 10 miles or less with a fair amount of road, but a guy from the Forest Service told me he liked it a lot. North of Buena Vista is Whetstone Ridge (trail#526), about 20 miles as a loop or 10 miles or so if shuttled. Hear - tell it is quite gnarly.

West of Lexington and east of Clifton Forge is North Mountain / Longdale loop, one of the most scenic rides I have been on. Lots of climbing, great ridgetop views.

I could get you all kinds of lost around Arcadia and Cave Mountain Lake, true back country riding mostly "locals only" due to total lack of signage.

A good question would be what kind of riding are you looking for? Also, what is the fitness and skill level of your group?

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Any trails near Maury River in VA?

Awesome info, thank you! Unfortunately, we had to cancel the kayak portion of our trip due to the river being too low to be worth it; but, the good news is that we're now going to ride both days instead!

We decided that we'll try a 25 mile loop at Douthat on Saturday, so it's great that you listed that as one of the better options. I've heard/read nothing but good things about it, so we're pretty stoked to check it out.

We're camping at the lake in Douthat, so I imagine it's going to be a pretty awesome day and night.

As for Sunday, we haven't picked a second park yet, so I'll be sure to consider a few of the others you mentioned. If you had to pick one spot in the area for Sunday, as a follow-up to a long day at Douthat, which would you choose?

Thanks again!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Should be plenty of water now.

You could probably entertain yourself for 2 days in Douthat, 40 miles of trails in the park itself, two mountains. Ross Camp>Mountain Side>Brushy Hollow on the Beards Mountain side is a favorite. On the other side Blue Suck Falls Trail>Locust Gap>Stony Run>Middle Mountain>Salt Stump is a great loop. A stop by Tuscarora Overlook is mandatory.

If you want to explore outside the park in the George Washington National Forest, just south of Douthat is one of my favorite descents. There are a number of ways to climb Middle Mountain. On this ride we did the whole mountain from FS125. You could climb Stony Run, Middle Mountain/ Fore Mountain trail goes south at the very top right beside a Bath/Alleghany county sign.
    Middle Mountain Fun

If you are adventurous and want something totally different than Douthat the Longdale North Mountain ride is hard to beat. That would be part 2 of this thread.
    White Rocks and North Mountain - Part 1

that guy
    Jun 2011

Re: Any trails near Maury River in VA?

Awesome info, thanks! The options seem endless down that way. This is going to be a great weekend! LOL