mtbr member
    May 2008

Any singletrack near Quantico??

I am going to be in Quantico, VA for 10 weeks starting in July. I am from Portland, Oregon, and will be taking my bike with me. I will also have a car.

Is there any singletrack that I can hit within an hour or so? Will need to scratch the itch on the weekends.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you can get on the Marine base, they have trails. http://www.quanticomtb.org/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

A bit north is Fountainhead, and even more north in Springfield lies Wakefield Park.
    A good list of trails can be found here:http://www.gpstrailsource.com/
    For trail conditions and group rides, take a look here: http://www.more-mtb.org

mtbr member
    Are you going to OCS? If so, you're not going to have much energy on the weekends.

The Quantico mainside course is really great, you can do a 10 mile loop which is a good workout, not too technical but hilly and a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    FBI NA for LE if that makes sense?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve34
    FBI NA for LE if that makes sense?
    Yeah, makes perfect sense, so you'll have weekends fairly free and you'll be right on the other side of 95 from mainside, so 10-15 minutes or so from the mainside trail system. Start with that then if you get bored check with the MORE forum, there's a lot of rides posted.

Let me know if you want a guide for Quantico.

What PD/SO/whatever are you with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, you can ride Quantico. Is all you need to enter the base s a drivers lecense, as this is an open base, and i ride there all the time, and have never been in the military. You can also ride Fountainhead, Wakefield, Laurel Hill, Schaefer Farms, Rosaryville, and the list goes on. FBI NA for LE makes perfect sense, as i am LE in DC but live near Quantico in Dumfries(5 miles from the base). Hope this info is helpful.

mtbr member
    You could reach Fountainhead or Laurel Hill in an hour on Saturday. They are both in southern Fairfax. Wakefield is about as far time wise as Fountainhead is. Prince William Forest Park has a tiny bike trail which is really short and non technical which might take two minutes on a weeknight.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well from Quantico, you can reach Laurel Hills in about 15 min, Fountainhead in 25.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I work on the FBI compound (though not at the NA). I try to ride Quantico at least 1x a week after work after the time changes in March. Fun trail system, definitely a workout.

If you also have a road bike, riding on the training side of base (the one you'll be on) is also great 'cause there is very little traffic on all the side roads, and the few drivers you encounter generally give you plenty of space.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My personal opinion having lived near Fort Belvoir for the past year: Fountainhead is very techy, rocky, rooty classic east coast singletrack. Laurel Hill, on the other hand, is mainly fast, buff, rollercoaster singletrack with a handleful of techy bits. Both are fun in their own way. Fountainhead is a great workout for both skills and lungs. Laurel Hill is just pure bliss.

I didn't know there were trails on Quantico proper, but now that I do, I'll have to check it out when the snow clears.

Be sure to get up to D.C. once or twice for some relaxed riding. Bicycle is the best way to see the Mall, Musuems, and Monuments. The George Washington Trail down to Mount Vernon is a beautiful ride too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The trails mentioned above are good and fun, just keep in mind that this area is very different from the PNW. There are no "epic" rides like Plains of Abraham / Ape Canyon or Lewis River trail.

When we went to Quantico we were told that we needed to have a military friend, but they let us ride since we drove for 1 hr to get there. It's a nice trail, and for sure I would like to ride it again this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any word on the snow clearing out there?
    I really want to get out riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I parked at the CDC trailhead to do a road ride last Saturday and the trail I could see past the kiosk was buried, so I'm guessing most of the system is still covered, though the service roads might be clear (and wet/muddy most likely).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just to clarify; You do not need a military ID to get to the CDC trailhead and ride the 'white loop'?

From what I read on the Quantico website, you just need a valid drivers license.... ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by omesh
    Just to clarify; You do not need a military ID to get to the CDC trailhead and ride the 'white loop'?

From what I read on the Quantico website, you just need a valid drivers license.... ?
    You should be good with a valid license but I'd give the Quantico PMO a call just in case.

I'll be out there tomorrow trying out a new build, prolly ~ 9 or 10, if you show up I can show you the course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    no Quantico is an open base, and a valid drivers license is all you need. Just tell the MP at the gate you are going to the MB trails. Thats it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the info guys! I did a road ride today, but maybe I'll meander out to Quantico next week! Probably do 1 or 2 slooow laps to learn the course.

mtbr member
    I'll be riding a few laps tomorrow starting ~9am at the CDC....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunayoshi
    If you also have a road bike, riding on the training side of base (the one you'll be on) is also great 'cause there is very little traffic on all the side roads, and the few drivers you encounter generally give you plenty of space.
    If memory serves*, you are required to wear day-glo vests or "bandoleer" while riding the streets on base. No biggy - just remember to buy/pack one.

* the supps for the XC races on base always say this; I assume it's true all the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0